Cannot install WinXP on a P4C800 Deluxe. HELP!!!

I recently setup a PC with the following:
x2 Mator 7200 RPM 120GB drives
Plextor 48/24/48 CD-RW
Sony DRU 500AX DVD +/- RW
Atech Multi Card Reader
ATI 9800 Pro 128MB
1GB Corsair 3200 DDR Ram
P4 3.2Ghz 800Mhz 1MB Cache
Asus P4C800 Deluxe running BIOS 1017

Now, everything boots fine, but I cannot install WinXP. It starts the
install ("Setup is inspecting your computers hardware configuration")
and on the next screen, I get the blue background and the title
"Windows Setup" but no grey bar across the bottom which shows which
files it is loading. I have tried several copies of XP with the same
result. I can bring each of these discs to another PC and get past
this screen. I even tried using the setup floppies you can download
from MS and it hangs at the same screen. I have successfully loaded
Win2k (I am posting from it right now)and run Knoppix from this
machine. I tried to do an upgrade install from 2000 to XP and it hangs
at the same screen. I have disconnected everything except for the
Plextor and the first Maxtor and get the same result. I have played
with some of the settings in the BIOS (ACPI on, APM disabled, Suspend
set to S3 only, Spread Spectrum disabled, 32bit support on the HDs,
set IDE to P-ATA only, turned off HT, same results). I cannot find
anyone else with this issue despite my best googling. Has anyone seen
this or know what the issue is? Please help!

Thanks in advance,
Rich

Have you tried using a different CD reader?