K8N-E Deluxe XP 64 Bit problem

Anyone running the 64 bit beta of XP on the K8N-E Deluxe motherboard? When
the setup program says starting windows I get the blue screen of death.
5 answers Last reply
More about deluxe problem

    Gary wrote:
    > Anyone running the 64 bit beta of XP on the K8N-E Deluxe motherboard? When
    > the setup program says starting windows I get the blue screen of death.

    I am, though I've only played about with it a bit. Other than it
    installed ok I can't really say much else.

    Cheers,

    Chris.

    --
    cut along the dotted line to reply

    Gary heeft uiteengezet op 25-10-2004 :
    > Anyone running the 64 bit beta of XP on the K8N-E Deluxe motherboard? When
    > the setup program says starting windows I get the blue screen of death.

    Trie disconnecting your cd player/dvd player/cd burner

    the 1218 release doesn't work on this board, unless you change the
    videoprt.sy_ (I believe) from the previous version

    I have a working copy, can't recall exactly what I did, but lots of reporsts
    of this on the net

    "Gary" <gary@nilssonsnet.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone running the 64 bit beta of XP on the K8N-E Deluxe motherboard? When
    > the setup program says starting windows I get the blue screen of death.

    This is a known issue.

    There is a conflict with the VIDEOPRT.SY_ file in build 1218 of Windows XP
    for x64 (1218 is the currently available preview release, the official beta
    is further along). The only fix that I've heard of is to replace the file
    in the .ISO image of build 1218 with a copy of the file from the .ISO image
    of build 1069 (which I believe is no longer available). I haven't tried it
    on my board yet because I can't find a free program that allows you to edit
    ..ISO files (all of the shareware stuff out there is limited to small files
    unless you register).

    If you go back to to the private Microsoft newsgroup for Windows XP x64
    you'll find the details. The older version of the file has also been posted
    to that newsgroup several times, so you should be able to get it from there.

    "Gary" <gary@nilssonsnet.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone running the 64 bit beta of XP on the K8N-E Deluxe motherboard? When
    > the setup program says starting windows I get the blue screen of death.

    Hi,

    I came across the same problem and gave the boot disc mod a try - worked
    beautifully!

    From memory, this is what you need to do:

    Extract files from the 1218 build of XP64:
    Create a directory on your HDD and copy the entire contents of the boot CD
    to the HDD. You can use IsoBuster to do it if you want to extract from the
    ISO image.

    Get videoprt.sy_ from the original version of XP64 (build 1684 or
    something...)
    I think the file is under the system directory, you will find it quickly
    with a search.

    Once you have the old videoprt.sy_, overwrite the newer version from build
    1218 with the older version.

    Extract the boot loader from CD:
    Using IsoBuster, extract the bootstrap file "Microsoft Corporation.img" -
    about 2kB worth. Save it somewhere on your hdd.

    Burn the CD:
    Using Nero, start a new session using the CD-ROM(Boot) profile. In the
    'Boot' tab, select Image File and select the 'Microsoft Corporation.img'
    file you saved previously. Enable Expert Settings, change the Emulation to
    'No Emulation', and set the number of loaded sectors to 4. This is very
    important otherwise it will never boot from the CD.

    Click on new, and copy the modified CD filesystem into the new CD. If you
    want to add another few directories with drivers or software, you can do so,
    just make sure you don't exceed the CD's size. I copied the nVidia chipset
    drivers, video drivers, etc onto the disc in a directory called 'Drivers' to
    help keep everything together.

    Burn the CD and see if it works!

    I have also used this same method of burning bootable xp & xp64 discs to
    make DVD's. Use the same instructions as above, just change the profile to
    DVD-ROM(Boot). This gives you another 4GB to play with - I have used this to
    bundle XP (slipstreamed with SP2), norton antivirus, MS office, and about 20
    other programs I use onto 1 disc - makes rebuilds extremely easy.

    Hope this helps.

    Cheers

    Bryon

    "Mike" <mike@poolsters.on.ca> wrote in message
    > the 1218 release doesn't work on this board, unless you change the
    > videoprt.sy_ (I believe) from the previous version
    >
    > I have a working copy, can't recall exactly what I did, but lots of
    > reporsts of this on the net
    >

    > "Gary" <gary@nilssonsnet.com> wrote in message
    >> Anyone running the 64 bit beta of XP on the K8N-E Deluxe motherboard?
    >> When the setup program says starting windows I get the blue screen of
    >> death.

Asus Blue Screen Motherboards Windows XP