ramesh

Hi,

My motherboard has two COM ports, both are set to Auto in the BIOS. One has
a connector in the back panel and the other has a header on the motherboard.

But XP device manager says there is only one COM port. How do I get to use
COM2 also? COM1 is used by the modem, and I need another one for my UPS.

Thanks for any help.

Ramesh

In article <OPitx92XEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Ramesh"
<ramborums@@yahoodotcom> says...
> Hi,
>
> My motherboard has two COM ports, both are set to Auto in the BIOS. One has
> a connector in the back panel and the other has a header on the motherboard.
>
> But XP device manager says there is only one COM port. How do I get to use
> COM2 also? COM1 is used by the modem, and I need another one for my UPS.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Ramesh

Did you recently turned *on* the second COM port in the bios?
If yes, then go to control panel, click "add hardware", next, "Yes, I
have connected the hardware", next, chose "Add a new hardware device" on
the bottom of the list, next, "Search for and install the hardware
automatically", next...

Best regards,

--
Zoltan Fekete <zoltanf@neobee.net>
Microsoft Certified Professional

YU Spin d.o.o. Novi Sad - http://www.yuspin.co.yu
NetSee Network Utility - http://yuspin.metrohive.net/netsee

"Ramesh" <ramborums@@yahoodotcom> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My motherboard has two COM ports, both are set to Auto in the BIOS. One
has
> a connector in the back panel and the other has a header on the
motherboard.

> But XP device manager says there is only one COM port. How do I get to
use
> COM2 also? COM1 is used by the modem, and I need another one for my UPS.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Ramesh

This may be a silly question, but if you've got an external modem plugged
into the com1 port, and all you've got is a motherboard header for com2, how
are you going to plug the UPS in anyway? It won't go direct to that
header...

ramesh

Thanks Currie.

That should not be no problem. I can connect the header to a connector on a
backpanel plate.

Regards
Ramesh

"D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Ramesh" <ramborums@@yahoodotcom> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > My motherboard has two COM ports, both are set to Auto in the BIOS. One
> has
> > a connector in the back panel and the other has a header on the
> motherboard.
> >
> > But XP device manager says there is only one COM port. How do I get to
> use
> > COM2 also? COM1 is used by the modem, and I need another one for my
UPS.

> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Ramesh
> >

> This may be a silly question, but if you've got an external modem plugged
> into the com1 port, and all you've got is a motherboard header for com2,
how
> are you going to plug the UPS in anyway? It won't go direct to that
> header...

ramesh

Thanks Zoltan.

As I replying to your mail, I had a clue and I found that my COM2 was set to
IRDA mode. So it was showing as IRDA not COM2. Problem solved.

Thanks for your support.

Regards
Ramesh