Intel Introduces New Atom SoC for Set-Top Boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
It doesn't take much to beat the cable boxes offered by Time Warner.

Explorer 8300
•Memory: 54 MB
•CPU/Bus : 2 CPU at 250MHz on a 133MHz bus
•Hard drive: 80 GB

Explorer 8300HD
•Memory: 54 MB
•CPU/Bus : 2 CPU at 250MHz on a 133MHz bus
•Hard drive: 160 GB

NivenFres

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
I find this funny, because I do almost all of that now with a Dual Core Atom Processor with nVidia's ION2 for graphics (except the 3d).

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]*yawn* that's nothing exciting, you know.[/citation]
I thought the best part is they said "console level graphics" when talking about an Atom CPU :lol:
yeah, console graphics is not very impressive, but I doubt that Atom CPU can do anything worth while graphically for gaming. Google TV's use atom and the only gaming you can get out of it would be from On Live and that's a whole different thing in itself.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]noobalert[/nom]I just want the Cable Monopoly to end! I would love Time Warner over my current local, ATMC those guys are a joke![/citation]
Where did you mean to post this totally irrelevant comment?

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
"an advanced 3D/2D graphics engine, integrated power management, and an H.264 B-picture hardware encoder"

Haha advanced, alrighty. Graphics engine = software I think. The best I could expect out of the chip would be menu animations and maybe 3-d tetris or worms.

So it has an encoder but what about the decoder? I KNOW that Atom chip can't decode HD in realtime.

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
[citation][nom]noobalert[/nom]I just want the Cable Monopoly to end! I would love Time Warner over my current local, ATMC those guys are a joke![/citation]

I don't understand your comment. Time Warner and Comcast are the cable monopoly. You are lucky enough to live somewhere that offers a CoOp and you are complaining wishing you had the monopoly? You don't want to wish for Time Warner Cable my friend you would not like it in the end.

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
[citation][nom]Fancarolina[/nom]It doesn't take much to beat the cable boxes offered by Time Warner.Explorer 8300•Memory: 54 MB•CPU/Bus : 2 CPU at 250MHz on a 133MHz bus•Hard drive: 80 GBExplorer 8300HD•Memory: 54 MB•CPU/Bus : 2 CPU at 250MHz on a 133MHz bus•Hard drive: 160 GB[/citation]
Same box for Videotron here in Quebec....
Always found them so unreliable and slow...

G

As long as intel does not allow their genaric graphics drivers to be customizied by the setbox OEMs then at least owners can expect occational updates of the graphics drivers from the intel website! But if toshiba is the OEM of tv setbox, hell will have snowcones before toshiba updates their OEM customiaed graphics drivers for intel hd graohics!

G

These are new ATOMS not old ATOMS. They use a graphics chip from a 3rd party vendor and they are more powerful than the older ATOMs some of you used. Then again, you can buy the crappy hardware that is out there for set tob boxes just because they don't have ATOM in it (duh).

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]SheepHerder1[/nom]These are new ATOMS not old ATOMS. They use a graphics chip from a 3rd party vendor and they are more powerful than the older ATOMs some of you used. Then again, you can buy the crappy hardware that is out there for set tob boxes just because they don't have ATOM in it (duh).[/citation]

Yes, Intel it looks like Intel has broken down and purchased a flavor of the PowerVR 5 license. The iPad and Vita have the same or similar design.

EDIT: Check out Anandtech's Medfield review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5365/intels-medfield-atom-z2460-arrive-for-smartphones/6

G

They didn't break down. They have had it. By the way, those designs are no where near as powerful as their own GPU design. It is just more power efficient... for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.