Change partition sizes

Hi

My 2 HDDs are partitioned like this:
Disk1
C: with FAT32 (for windows98 SE)
D: with NTFS (for windowsXP Pro)
E: with FAT32 (for personal data)
Disk2
F: with FAT32 (for personal data and backups)

I want to re-partition disk1 (making a new clean-install
for both 98 and XP) and the questions are:

-- How to do it, since windows98 boot floppy doesn't see
the NTFS?

-- The data in disk2 (Drive F:) will be lost? (so I can
move there the contents of E: if it is safe).

Thanks

gerry

This is an ugly situation. I just went through this pain
with my own PC. Here's what I would recommend. Move any
data that you want to save to the "DISK2". You can just
leave that one alone as an NTFS Partition. If you need to
copy anything back to Win98, you can do that from XP once
it's reloaded. XP will see both NTFS and Fat32
partitions.
Next boot up your XP install disk like you were going to
install the software. During the first few screens it
will identify your hard drives and give you an option to
setup of and install to various partitions. Use this
utility to delete all the partitions off of the first hard
drive. After you use the utility to delete the
partitions, do not proceed further. Just back out of the
utility and end the setup program.
Find your boot floopy for windows 98. Boot from the
floppy and run fdisk. Setup up an initial fat32 partition
for your windows 98 to install to. Make sure that you set
it for the active partition. You will have to reboot
again after setting up the partition and then format it
for fat32. After that you should be able to begin
installing windows 98. You have to install 98 first.
AFter 98 is installed, run the XP setup disk from windows
98. Choose the option to install XP to another partition,
(not as an upgrade to 98) System will reboot and then
setup up the configuration for a dual boot. In the XP
setup screens go back and partition the rest of your drive
for NTFS for the XP install and then continue with the
normal XP installation.
I hope this helps. As I said I just recently did this to
my own system, and it was a headache to get it initially
setup and configured. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thank you Gerry...

I knew the process, but I was stuck in a detail, and
still I am:

After deleting the partitions like you said (using the
winXP disk), will fdisk see the whole disk or it'll miss
the part that was formatted with NTFS?
However, if you say you've done it before with success, I
have no reason to warry, have I?

Thanks again...

Just get a copy of Partion Magic and it can combine all
into 1 partition.

move data to disk 2

boot with win98 cd
use option for boot with cd rom support

after booted go to cd rom drive's drive letter by typing it and follow with a colon ":"

then type "cd win98"

then type "fdisk"

enable large disk support
then use the option to select which drive t

THEN USE THE OPTION FOR DELETE DRIVE LETTER ASSIGNMENTS

THEN the option OPTION for delete non-ms partions
then option again for delete extended partition
then option for delete primary partition

then partion a primary partion and use the space you want for the win 98 install only

then hit escape and reboot and boot again with cd rom support
then "format c:"
then switch to drive letter for cd-rom
then type "cd win98"
then type setup and setup win 98
after win 98 installed install winxp and use the built in partion utility to create the new ntfs partition for xp on your unpartitioned space and install xp

"Larriet@mci.com" wrote:

> Just get a copy of Partion Magic and it can combine all
> into 1 partition.

and no don't spend the $$ or make one partition as you will hose both operating systems over time if they share a single partition