P4 3 switch to p4 3.4 Extreme Edition ? possible with my o..

P4 3 switch to p4 3.4 Extreme Edition ? possible with my original Asus
p4p800 Deluxe [not the E version] with bios 1019.005 ?

Hi i already have a Intel® Pentium® 4 - 3.0C-GHz @ 800Mhz w/ 1Mb (Socket
478) on my original Asus p4p800 Deluxe motherboard and it
runs ok with 1 gb of good dual channel memory and other fast video and hard
drive etc.

I was wondering what kind of @ performance increase % wise would i see if i
replaced the 3.0 cpu with either the Intel® Pentium® 4
3.2C or 3.4C -GHz Extreme Edition @ 800Mhz w/ 2Mb (Socket 478)?

Also, would i need to reinstall windows Xp or not after such a cpu switch?

Thanks Alot
2 answers Last reply
More about switch extreme edition

    According to Asus' mainboard/CPU compatibility list, the Extreme Edition
    CPUs are supported by BIOS 1012 and newer.

    http://www.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    (This isn't a direct link for the P4P800 deluxe, but it's simple to get
    there from this link.)

    I don't know what performance boost you might expect from an Extreme Edition
    CPU. It would depend on the application, I suppose If you mainly wish to
    play Doom3 at a high frame rate, see:

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=2

    I'm pretty sure that, as another poster remarked, you'd not have to
    re-install XP after swapping in an EE CPU.

    If the prices at www.newegg.com are representative, the EE CPUs are absurdly
    expensive (approx. $1000US).

    I recently upgraded from a P4P800 (not a Deluxe) with an A8V Pro and an
    Athlon64 3500+ CPU. (The new build re-used everything but the mainboard and
    CPU.) A month ago, the upgrade cost $500US. It would be less today. I'm not
    an AMD fan or a convert, but I wanted to keep my 6800 GT graphics card, and
    the A64 upgrade path seemed likely to be the most satisfactory for the
    price. I'm happy with it, so far.

    "Henry1" <Henry1@mail2me.com> wrote in message
    > P4 3 switch to p4 3.4 Extreme Edition ? possible with my original Asus
    > p4p800 Deluxe [not the E version] with bios 1019.005 ?
    >
    > Hi i already have a Intel® Pentium® 4 - 3.0C-GHz @ 800Mhz w/ 1Mb (Socket
    > 478) on my original Asus p4p800 Deluxe motherboard and it
    > runs ok with 1 gb of good dual channel memory and other fast video and
    > hard drive etc.
    >
    > I was wondering what kind of @ performance increase % wise would i see if
    > i replaced the 3.0 cpu with either the Intel® Pentium® 4
    > 3.2C or 3.4C -GHz Extreme Edition @ 800Mhz w/ 2Mb (Socket 478)?
    >
    > Also, would i need to reinstall windows Xp or not after such a cpu switch?
    >
    > Thanks Alot

    You would NOT have to reinstall XP, as long as you do not change the
    motherboard.

    --
    DaveW

    "Henry1" <Henry1@mail2me.com> wrote in message
    > P4 3 switch to p4 3.4 Extreme Edition ? possible with my original Asus
    > p4p800 Deluxe [not the E version] with bios 1019.005 ?
    >
    > Hi i already have a Intel® Pentium® 4 - 3.0C-GHz @ 800Mhz w/ 1Mb (Socket
    > 478) on my original Asus p4p800 Deluxe motherboard and it
    > runs ok with 1 gb of good dual channel memory and other fast video and
    > hard drive etc.
    >
    > I was wondering what kind of @ performance increase % wise would i see if
    > i replaced the 3.0 cpu with either the Intel® Pentium® 4
    > 3.2C or 3.4C -GHz Extreme Edition @ 800Mhz w/ 2Mb (Socket 478)?
    >
    > Also, would i need to reinstall windows Xp or not after such a cpu switch?
    >
    > Thanks Alot

Asus Switch Motherboards