Dual Channel success with BIOS rev. 1005?

Howie

I currently have three sticks of 256mb PC3200 DDR400 memory installed
in my A7N8X Deluxe board. I have been running with this setup for
several months, ignorant to the possibility of achieving dual channel
capability with a small reconfiguration.

I now realize I can pull one of the sticks (from either Slot 1 or 2)
and the motherboard will default to this capability. Problem is, I
would then only have 512mb of total RAM and with all the multi-tasking
I perform, I really need double that amount.

So, I could trade in my memory and buy 2 sticks of 512mb... this is
cost prohibitive, so I wonder if the following strategy would work?

-- Uninstall one of the 256mb sticks and substitute with a 512mb,
ensuring the 256mb sticks occupy Slots 1 and 2 and the 512mb stick
occupies Slot 3. If I understand how this is supposed to work, I
would then have equal amounts on both channels (Slot 1 and 2 = one
channel and Slot 3 = the second channel)?

Assuming this will allow me to upgrade to 1gb of RAM while achieving
dual channel success (and being more cost effective), I would ask if
others have accomplished this with a BIOS of 1005 or below? I read an
earlier post suggesting it required BIOS 1008 or higher for the board
to recognize the "mixed size" solution. Is this a valid requirement?
I hesitate to reflash my BIOS unless absolutely necessary!

Thanks in advance for answering my questions as well as any additional
insight which might help...

--Howie

Howie

My CPU... 2500+ Barton, overclocked to 3200+, runs on the 400 bus...
the board is PCB 2.0+...

Thanks,

Howie

:>"Nero" <nero@rome.it> mused:

:>Go for 2x 512 in dual mode.
:>Slot 1 and 3 or 2 and 3.
:>Does you cpu run on 333 bus?

:I currently have three sticks of 256mb PC3200 DDR400 memory installed
:>in my A7N8X Deluxe board. I have been running with this setup for
:>several months, ignorant to the possibility of achieving dual channel
:>capability with a small reconfiguration.
:>
[...]

TRENDING THREADS