CD-RW & DVD-RW Drives Not working

I have 3 PC's running Windows XP pro all of which either have CD-RW or DVD-RW drives and they are using the XP drivers.

All drives originally worked with XP however for some reason ALL of them now fail to write to any CD media or even recognise the media.

2 pc's no longer auto run CD's nor do they show the CD's title when you look in "my computer" in fact it appears that no CD is in the drive, you have to double click the drive to view the contents and sometimes that does not always work, this is with new CD's, old CD's blank cd's etc, new CD drives and old ones.

One of the PC's I have removed its CD-RW installed a new one, installed a spare one, removed drivers, reinstalled drivers, removed device and reinstalled but still unable to write to CD's

Most common error when trying to write is that there is no media in the drive! Have tried many sorts of blank media.

Another error when using third party software such as Nero is that the drive is in use by another application.

The only working CD-RW I have is now on a Windows XP home edition laptop.

As stated, CD drives worked fine origanlly with XP, one of the PC's is brand new but still not working.

Also have some issues when installing games that require several CD's, when trying to load the game after installation, it asks for a disk thats already present but it can not find it, Likewise when trying to do updates for office, installation disk is requested but when disk is inserted office can not locate the files required.

Possible this maybe caused by the security and program updates?

Also the services required are running, likewise the drives are set as recordable and are showing as CD-RW or DVD-RW drives. Drive letters are either D or E and are the lowest available drive letter available.

All PC's have the latest updates all of which had SP1 installed and one PC has just had SP2 Beta installed.

Many people seem to have the same problems and I have tried the advice on the knowledge base.

Any ideas?
5 answers Last reply
More about drives working

    Strange.. I have had a similar problem which began the
    end of June. I have tried all that I could figure and no
    luck. This is only on 2 laptops both with the same
    driver and both toshiba. If you find a solution let me
    know as well

    I started having the same problems recently and had to use
    a drive I shared from another PC in order to do my
    software install.

    The only recent changes to my PC was to swap out the CD-RW
    drive for a new DVD-RW drive.

    I would also be greatful for any recommendations.

    TIA,
    TMiles

    On checking the event viewer and services again I have
    found that the IMAPI service is set to automatic, however
    there are constant entries in the event viewer as
    follows...

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7036
    Date: 29/06/2004
    Time: 17:15:28
    User: N/A
    Computer: SAINS-3
    The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the
    stopped state.

    I am having almost exactly the same problem. Both the DVD
    ROM and DRD RW drives were working fine but I began to get
    an intermitiment failure where the drive would not
    autostart or recognise the drive. On some occasions it
    told me the drive was not accessiable while on others if i
    went into "My Computer" it showed the disk as being
    empty. however it only does this for data files, DVD's
    and music CD's work fine. Looking through the knowledge
    base it suggests the problem is to do with registry
    corruption (I have reloaded XP Home) but before I begin to
    play around with this any other suggestions are really
    welcome

DVD RW CD-Rom Windows XP