asus a7v 133 problem

I recently swopped my hard drive for a new maxtor diamond max plus 80
gig hd
I reinstalled winxp pro

Windows installed all drivers exept mouse/4 in 1s /and sound card
drivers

I installed 4 in 1s seperately

The pc boots up ok
Will sometimes run all day
But usually it locks up
when i try to restart it it doesnt beep or restart
monitor stays off

If i leave it for a while it will eventually restart
All the fans seem to be working ok

the bios version is 1008 beta 001 E
tbird 1 gig chip
gf3
256 meg ram
after lots of experimentation

I replaced the psu with a new 400w

Ive removed network card and sound card
tried each stick of memory one at a time
ie 126 meg at a time

on all tests it locked up in safe mode after a few mins

I then reset bios to default

then

ata 100 disable
onboard sound disable
onboard modem disable
check cpu fan at start disable

resited network card fron pci slot 3 to slot 5

using only two 128 mb ram in slots 1 and 3
sound card in pci 4
slot1 and 2 and 3 empty

also tried another vid card

no lockup

got the original vid card back in the pc

still no lockups

nb

tried same vid card from this pc in my other pc

it worked fine

I then tried motherboard monitor

Ran toast

The cpu temp went up from 46 to 54c

I put the side panel back on and it crashed

I have psu fan and heat sink

Plus two case fans

Do you think my cpu is borked

Or do I just need more cooking

No over clocking in place

Thx

"urbantus" <urbantus2@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I recently swopped my hard drive for a new maxtor diamond max plus 80
> gig hd
> I reinstalled winxp pro
>
> Windows installed all drivers exept mouse/4 in 1s /and sound card
> drivers
>
> I installed 4 in 1s seperately

If installing WinXP, do NOT install the 4-in-1.

On 27 Oct 2004 07:03:35 -0400,
urbantus2@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (urbantus) wrote:

>I recently swopped my hard drive for a new maxtor diamond max plus 80
>gig hd
>I reinstalled winxp pro
>
>Windows installed all drivers exept mouse/4 in 1s /and sound card
>drivers
>
>I installed 4 in 1s seperately
>

>ata 100 disable

Your new harddisk is ata100, if it is not ata133. Use the promise
controller ! and an ata100 cable.
Some modern harddisks cannot work as ata33 ! that is from the
stoneage.

You can start using, by first enabling it in bios. Then boot windows,
it find the drivers. Then turn off the PC and redirect the cables.
Then restart.

Check the boot menu in bios and adjust it.

If it will not start booting, then you need to make a floppy with the
drivers. Then during install when it asks for scsi drivers press F6
and let it read the floppy. Windows calls most advanced controllers
for scsi, whatever they are.

best regards

John