mm

i bought asus barebone terminator 2 with upgraded 1gb ram.
problem is that i`m having just 512. BIOS says that in L1 i`m having 8 mb and in L2 - 512mb. windows detects just 512.is there anything that i can do myself ? thx`s for any help.

Mike

Splendid

L1 and L2 cache memory is not the same as RAM.. go back to where you bought
the system and get them to check it out..

"mm" <mm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i bought asus barebone terminator 2 with upgraded 1gb ram.
> problem is that i`m having just 512. BIOS says that in L1 i`m having 8 mb
and in L2 - 512mb. windows detects just 512.is there anything that i can do
myself ? thx`s for any help.

"mm" <mm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i bought asus barebone terminator 2 with upgraded 1gb ram.
> problem is that i`m having just 512. BIOS says that in L1 i`m having
> 8 mb and in L2 - 512mb. windows detects just 512.is there anything
> that i can do myself ? thx`s for any help.

The standard Northwood P4 core contains 8KB of L1 cache (closest to the
CPU), this small amount of memory has a very high read speed designed to
pipeline data into the processor. Write speed is very slow with the idea
that it would rarely need to be written to. L2 cache is 512KB with an almost
equal read and write speed.

L1 and L2 are levels of cache memory in a computer. If the computer
processor can find the data it needs for its next operation in cache memory,
it will save time compared to having to get it from random access memory. L1
is "level-1" cache memory, usually built onto the microprocessor chip
itself.

L2 (that is, level-2) cache memory is on a separate chip (possibly on an
expansion card) that can be accessed more quickly than the larger "main"
memory

--
If the information posted above helps then let me know.
If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.

---

Ok, first your memory may be showing up as half because it is running in
Dual Channel mode and is being reported incorrectly. Check ASUS's
website to see if there is a BIOS update for your motherboard. Second,
L1 and L2 refer to cache of the processor. The processor has a die on
the core of it that acts as memory for faster transactions. These are
measured in kilobytes. That would be L1 - 8 K, L2 - 512 K. This is
normal. There should be another place in the BIOS that it states the
amount of memory. Also, it never hurts to check the physical RAM
modules themselves to make sure you got what you paid for ;)

Nathan McNulty

mm wrote:
> i bought asus barebone terminator 2 with upgraded 1gb ram.
> problem is that i`m having just 512. BIOS says that in L1 i`m having 8 mb and in L2 - 512mb. windows detects just 512.is there anything that i can do myself ? thx`s for any help.

JustMe

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003

L2 cache has been a part of the processor die for several generations of
Pentiums. Don't remember exactly when that happened but there is no
separate chip or board for the cache.

"Kelly Cotter" <"deletethis"kelly.cotter@*deletethis*blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
in message news:qv1Fc.1550$XJ7.12997774@news-text.cableinet.net...

"justme" <nospam@spamest.com> wrote in message
> L2 cache has been a part of the processor die for several generations
> of Pentiums. Don't remember exactly when that happened but there is
> no separate chip or board for the cache.
>
> "Kelly Cotter"
> <"deletethis"kelly.cotter@*deletethis*blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
> message news:qv1Fc.1550$XJ7.12997774@news-text.cableinet.net...
>> "mm" <mm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> i bought asus barebone terminator 2 with upgraded 1gb ram.
>>> problem is that i`m having just 512. BIOS says that in L1 i`m having
>>> 8 mb and in L2 - 512mb. windows detects just 512.is there anything
>>> that i can do myself ? thx`s for any help.
>>
>> The standard Northwood P4 core contains 8KB of L1 cache (closest to
>> the CPU), this small amount of memory has a very high read speed
>> designed to pipeline data into the processor. Write speed is very
>> slow with the idea that it would rarely need to be written to. L2
>> cache is 512KB with an almost equal read and write speed.
>>
>> L1 and L2 are levels of cache memory in a computer. If the computer
>> processor can find the data it needs for its next operation in cache
>> memory, it will save time compared to having to get it from random
>> access memory. L1 is "level-1" cache memory, usually built onto the
>> microprocessor chip itself.
>>
>> L2 (that is, level-2) cache memory is on a separate chip (possibly
>> on an expansion card) that can be accessed more quickly than the
>> larger "main" memory
>>

>> --
>> If the information posted above helps then let me know.
>> If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.
>>

>> ---

DOH
i copied and pasted an old doc.

--
If the information posted above helps then let me know.
If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.

---

L@ on die versus separate on the processor board showed up about Pentium
III 533 mhz. There is some overlap as 533 and 600 mh were produced
both ways.

The first thing you should do is set the bios to go through the memory
check (disable fast startup) so you can see it go through. You will also
see the results on fast startup before the board goes through the drive
seek but you might as well see that the memory passes post. If the
board only finds 512 meg and the memory is in more than one DIMM, one or
more may be bad, one or more may be incompatible, you may have a bad
slot, or it is not seated right. You can swap them around to check for
a bad or incompatible DIMM, or slot; but my experience has been that the
most likely cause is not getting a DIMM seated properly. If your memory
is all one module, perhaps the motherboard does not support 1 gig DIMMs.

If you download belarc advisor http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
This will show you the memory seen by slot. I believe Sissoft Sandra my
show you the speed.