Wireless XP SP2 netwk semi-resolved.

Okay, after tring many of the recent suggestions.. I kept going backward.
Found some posts from September indicating that disabling the wireless
security (both WEP & WPA), and disabling the WZC often cleared up the
problems.

I disabled only the WEP on the router, and on the wireless connection on the
laptop and everything is fine. I can both connect to the local computers as
well as the internet. The MS firewall is still running and while the
connection is a little slower with it running I'll leave it for now.

Has anyone found a way around this - in other words be able to enable
security and still have the wireless connecting with SP2 installed? All my
SP1 systems are fine, and I'm not upgrading them at this point..

Thanks!

I had the very same problem. If you have any kind of antivirus program or
internet security (ex. Norton Internet Security) you can turn off MS
firewall. Then you can enable wireless security on your network.
This may or may not work for you, I have had people tell me this does not
work in all cases.

"Tina.V" wrote:

> Okay, after tring many of the recent suggestions.. I kept going backward.
> Found some posts from September indicating that disabling the wireless
> security (both WEP & WPA), and disabling the WZC often cleared up the
> problems.
>
> I disabled only the WEP on the router, and on the wireless connection on the
> laptop and everything is fine. I can both connect to the local computers as
> well as the internet. The MS firewall is still running and while the
> connection is a little slower with it running I'll leave it for now.
>
> Has anyone found a way around this - in other words be able to enable
> security and still have the wireless connecting with SP2 installed? All my
> SP1 systems are fine, and I'm not upgrading them at this point..
>
> Thanks!

Too many firewalls confound things. Your router has a built in firewall,
Windows XP has a firewall enabled by default with SP2. I wouldn't confuse
things by adding ZA, McAffee, Norton etc. Turn them off

But I wouldn't disable WEP.
Be sure the wireless thingy is OK without security and then add WEP or WPA
on the router and then connect. You will be prompted to enter the WEP key
twice. Do so and click on Connect.
Then surf away.

"Unrealchamp" <Unrealchamp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had the very same problem. If you have any kind of antivirus program or
> internet security (ex. Norton Internet Security) you can turn off MS
> firewall. Then you can enable wireless security on your network.
> This may or may not work for you, I have had people tell me this does not
> work in all cases.
>
> "Tina.V" wrote:
>
>> Okay, after tring many of the recent suggestions.. I kept going backward.
>> Found some posts from September indicating that disabling the wireless
>> security (both WEP & WPA), and disabling the WZC often cleared up the
>> problems.
>>
>> I disabled only the WEP on the router, and on the wireless connection on
>> the
>> laptop and everything is fine. I can both connect to the local computers
>> as
>> well as the internet. The MS firewall is still running and while the
>> connection is a little slower with it running I'll leave it for now.
>>
>> Has anyone found a way around this - in other words be able to enable
>> security and still have the wireless connecting with SP2 installed? All
>> my
>> SP1 systems are fine, and I'm not upgrading them at this point..
>>
>> Thanks!

I had tried disabling the Windows firewall.. and that didn't help. I'm not
planning to install another.. the router is a Linksys WRV54G, I know it does
NAT and has some basic firewall ability. The minute I disabled the WEP
everything started working. I re-enabled it, and boom - locked out again. I
tried both WEP and WPA same results. And back in 9/04 - there are a series of
different posts all pretty much the same thing. So at least I'm not alone.

But I'm open to suggestions (other than buying other firewall s/w - too many
issues). I live in an apartment building, and at any given time there are at
least 4 other wireless networks broadcasting..most unsecured. I've never
tried hacking them.. but don't want anyone in mine either!

"Alan White" wrote:

> Too many firewalls confound things. Your router has a built in firewall,
> Windows XP has a firewall enabled by default with SP2. I wouldn't confuse
> things by adding ZA, McAffee, Norton etc. Turn them off
>
> But I wouldn't disable WEP.
> Be sure the wireless thingy is OK without security and then add WEP or WPA
> on the router and then connect. You will be prompted to enter the WEP key
> twice. Do so and click on Connect.
> Then surf away.
>
> "Unrealchamp" <Unrealchamp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had the very same problem. If you have any kind of antivirus program or
> > internet security (ex. Norton Internet Security) you can turn off MS
> > firewall. Then you can enable wireless security on your network.
> > This may or may not work for you, I have had people tell me this does not
> > work in all cases.
> >
> > "Tina.V" wrote:
> >
> >> Okay, after tring many of the recent suggestions.. I kept going backward.
> >> Found some posts from September indicating that disabling the wireless
> >> security (both WEP & WPA), and disabling the WZC often cleared up the
> >> problems.
> >>
> >> I disabled only the WEP on the router, and on the wireless connection on
> >> the
> >> laptop and everything is fine. I can both connect to the local computers
> >> as
> >> well as the internet. The MS firewall is still running and while the
> >> connection is a little slower with it running I'll leave it for now.
> >>
> >> Has anyone found a way around this - in other words be able to enable
> >> security and still have the wireless connecting with SP2 installed? All
> >> my
> >> SP1 systems are fine, and I'm not upgrading them at this point..
> >>
> >> Thanks!

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hi Tina V

Are you sure you are putting all of the web key in I have an older Linksys B
router and when I generate a 128 bit Key it does not show all of the
characters
in the box the best way is to put the mouse curser in the box and drag it
across and copy it to notepad then and before you enable web on the router
copy the notepad file across the network and then copy and past it to your
Network Card

Steve