Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Report: Microsoft Marketing Bans Purchase of Apple Products

Last response: in News comments
March 21, 2012 11:12:55 PM

I wonder how fast would a MS employee lose his/her job if the employee purposely brought a Mac laptop. iPhone, iPod touch and iPad to work...
Score
March 21, 2012 11:16:32 PM

Microsoft didn't ban employees from purchasing Apple products, they banned employees from using company money to buy Apple products. That does not seem to unreasonable to me. I'm sure many companies have similar policies.
Score
Related resources
March 21, 2012 11:22:53 PM

What about the people who are pushing Office for Mac?
Score
March 22, 2012 12:06:02 AM

Microsoft is probably worried that anyone seeing an iPad or iPhone will realize what trash Microsoft sells. Then again, the punishment for doing this should be to work on an MacIntosh. Then they'll realize what trash Apple sells. I can see why people buy iPads and iPhones, as they are pretty good products. The Mac is over priced and has way too many problems. I don't see how it makes people more productive.
Score
March 22, 2012 12:08:12 AM

^5 +1 what PennyLife said.
Score
March 22, 2012 12:09:38 AM

I am not surprised in the slightest. We're just a couple headaches (more) away from sending out such a notice ourselves at our organization. iDevices and Mac desktops/laptops have to be shoehorned to work in a corporate (Microsoft) network, and even then, the result is less than desirable. When having to deal with privacy laws, having an iPhone/Pad with iCloud enabled is questionable at best, and there's no mechanism to ensure it can never be enabled. And that's just one example.
Score
March 22, 2012 12:14:31 AM

To be completely honest, WHO would actually work somewhere (like microsoft) and bring in competitor products? (like apple)
Personally if I worked for MS and brought in an iPad or something, I'd feel stupid/embarrassed/ashamed even if I liked the product more than what my company offered. It'd just seem weird... at least IMO
Score
March 22, 2012 12:16:37 AM

Microsoft has played it's worst move lately. Saying that WP7 was not intended to beat IOS (but Android) was silly.
Apple is about to launch an office suite on macs. They will ban Microsoft from their hardware.
Silverlight is dead. WP7 is dying.
Windows is moving to a place where it's opponents have much better weapons (Metro). Metro will only make Windows's users ready to jump to another OS (on the desktop/laptop). THEY ARE IN FACT PUSHING THEIR OWN DEATH.
This strategy is silly ... and I'm not even sad.
Score
March 22, 2012 12:16:42 AM

IMHO, this is pure PR. In the back room, where they tear apart each crApple product that comes out, the budget and purchasing power for crApple products is unlimited.

The public face of M$, however, has to look mean and tough. No girlie crApple products allowed.
Score
March 22, 2012 12:20:01 AM

seems pretty fair to me.. employees are not to give company money to apple.. yea..
Score
March 22, 2012 12:25:00 AM

Well, Google gives its employess Macs.
Score
March 22, 2012 12:31:43 AM

Fear leads to the dark side.

M$ employees are obviously buying them because they like them better. Don't ban them, just make something better.

Or is that too obvious?
Score
March 22, 2012 12:38:27 AM

Apple products are banned from my house aswell, sorry I'm not a religious person.
Score
March 22, 2012 1:09:09 AM

obsama1Well, Google gives its employess Macs.

They use chrome books, but windows mostly except when coding related to android in which case they use linux of some form (hence why the SDK comes out on linux before other OS's).
Score
March 22, 2012 1:09:20 AM

mrmezFear leads to the dark side.M$ employees are obviously buying them because they like them better. Don't ban them, just make something better.Or is that too obvious?

They can't. Isn't that obvious?
Score
March 22, 2012 1:44:08 AM

Thus revealing how useless Chromebooks are for any actual work.
Score
March 22, 2012 1:49:53 AM

Makes perfect sense IMO.

Although I feel all MS employees directly involved with the creation of their products should use Macs, iDevices and Android devices on the side atleast a little to get a feel for what does and does not work in their competitors products. That way they can take their products in the right direction and sort of learn from their competitions mistakes.
Score
March 22, 2012 1:54:20 AM

Hopefully they'll allow Macs to be bought for their Mac office team, and iPhones for their Skype team
Score
March 22, 2012 1:55:12 AM

I think they have a combination of Mac, Windows, and Linux. That makes sense, given they want to be fair (for instance, making Motorola, which they own, bid along with all the other device manufacturers for android stuff) and they don't have any desktop OSes anyway (and chromebooks are useless for actual work).
Score
March 22, 2012 1:59:19 AM

Microsoft does not need to comment on the letter...they can do whatever they please, it's their company and no one should tell them how to run it. Every company has rules, if people don't like the rules they need to leave.
Score
March 22, 2012 2:01:24 AM

I have a friends whom dad works at microsoft. His dad gets so many new things since he works in the department where he compares ms products with rival companies. I personaly thinks this is a bad idea since employees wont be able to tell without going out and buying things with their own money if their product is able to compete with other products on the market, especially apples
Score
March 22, 2012 2:04:13 AM

ammarossI am not surprised in the slightest. We're just a couple headaches (more) away from sending out such a notice ourselves at our organization. iDevices and Mac desktops/laptops have to be shoehorned to work in a corporate (Microsoft) network, and even then, the result is less than desirable. When having to deal with privacy laws, having an iPhone/Pad with iCloud enabled is questionable at best, and there's no mechanism to ensure it can never be enabled. And that's just one example.

Mobile Iron should fit the bill nicely. May want to have a look at that if you are having issues managing Android and IOS devices.
Score
March 22, 2012 2:04:46 AM

Doesn't make sense to me. If a device has most of the market share, why wouldn't you develop for that device? Not developing software for the most popular platform that seeks it's products (especially Office) is missing out on a lot of income.
Score
March 22, 2012 2:30:16 AM

If I was running a company, I wouldn't let anyone waste my money on Apple products either. And if they owned a Mac or an iPhone on their own, I wouldn't hire them in the first place, because it would tell me they're probably flaky, technologically inept, and bad with money.
Score
Anonymous
March 22, 2012 2:30:18 AM

I don't think this is real, unless the Dev and R&D department is supplied a fixed amount or Mac's per year. Microsoft makes software for the Mac and simultaneously competes with it, so using a Mac should be restricted to the R&D department that will be comparing competitors, and the OSX MS Office department.

Everywhere else buying a Mac is a waste of company money. Especially remembering how costly a Mac is, especially if you make the OS on most PCs so don't have to factor those costs into your purchase.

Then there's the compatibility issues bootcamp creates by having a nonstandard BIOS emulation that lacks certain commands, and the lack of any core BIOS/EFI settings
Score
Anonymous
March 22, 2012 2:30:45 AM

I don't think this is real, unless the Dev and R&D department is supplied a fixed amount or Mac's per year. Microsoft makes software for the Mac and simultaneously competes with it, so using a Mac should be restricted to the R&D department that will be comparing competitors, and the OSX MS Office department.

Everywhere else buying a Mac is a waste of company money. Especially remembering how costly a Mac is, especially if you make the OS on most PCs so don't have to factor those costs into your purchase.

Then there's the compatibility issues bootcamp creates by having a nonstandard BIOS emulation that lacks certain commands, and the lack of any core BIOS/EFI settings
Score
March 22, 2012 2:50:05 AM

So those who work at MS who develop and test Mac Products... how are they going to buy Apple equipment to work with? Does Apple have similar rules about having MS products? Wait, Apple makes products that work under Windows (ITunes, Safari, Quicktime, etc)

Score
March 22, 2012 2:55:54 AM

Apple is on the decline guys, losing market share on the tablet market and losing market share on the smartphone market aswell.

Apple's brand is not designed to be a market leader so it will never be one. It's just too expensive to be, it's made to abuse an "OK" customer base with insane profit margins instead to stay "cool" and get 100 billions in cash.
Score
March 22, 2012 3:42:12 AM

From the email obviously it only affects Microsoft SMSG(Sales, Marketing & Services Group).
Score
March 22, 2012 4:08:15 AM

``should not be purchased with company funds''

Fair enough. Why should Microsoft give a free ride to Apple, Google, etc or vice versa. For that matter, why should GM pay from its funds for employees to buy a Ford or Toyota. Lets hope that this is restricted to company funds only, and MS or any other company should not look in a negative light on employees buying competitors products from personal funds.
Score
March 22, 2012 4:09:03 AM

This is about a decade late coming from Microsoft. I thought they already had this rule. Now it makes sense why they would think it's acceptable to leave a critical feature like Domain Join out of Windows 8 ARM. The Apple influence has been hurting them I think. They need to get back to making software for people who get things done, not people who care more about looking good while they use their computing devices.

I know if I worked for Microsoft or Google I'd feel uncomfortable with an Apple device at work. I'd rather leave it in my vehicle.
Score
March 22, 2012 4:43:06 AM

wiyosayaIMHO
Glad to know your opinion is usually false, I hate the use if IMHO!
I would have thought that Microsoft would have already done this. Its a competitor’s product.
Score
March 22, 2012 5:28:35 AM

Something tells me Apple and Google cannot function if they make a similar ban on Microsoft products.
Score
March 22, 2012 7:01:13 AM

Why do some PC users these days prefer mac? I just don't get it...
Score
March 22, 2012 8:32:28 AM

frostyfireballMakes perfect sense IMO.Although I feel all MS employees directly involved with the creation of their products should use Macs, iDevices and Android devices on the side atleast a little to get a feel for what does and does not work in their competitors products. That way they can take their products in the right direction and sort of learn from their competitions mistakes.

Companies have laboratories to handle the waste.
Score
March 22, 2012 11:59:10 AM

I don't see the problem in this. I'm sure people over at Apple use Macs nearly exclusively.
Score
March 22, 2012 12:55:09 PM

Can't fault the company for wanting to eat their own dog food. HP is big into that as well. Makes sense, you make a product and you want your users to use that product. Do what you want outside of work but work use our stuff.

Score
March 22, 2012 12:59:17 PM

We deny all requests for any iApple product to be allowed on our network at work......
Score
March 22, 2012 1:37:32 PM

And the problem with this is???
Score
March 22, 2012 2:16:54 PM

capt_tacoIf I was running a company, I wouldn't let anyone waste my money on Apple products either. And if they owned a Mac or an iPhone on their own, I wouldn't hire them in the first place, because it would tell me they're probably flaky, technologically inept, and bad with money.

Wow, that is all I have to say. If you dealt with high level network/security engineers you would not be saying anything like this. I think you would be surprised at how pervasive the Macbook Pro is in IT engineering. Some of the best in the business prefer to use Macs over HP, Dell, Lenovo. If you where in management and made your decision on a qualified person by basis of their computing preference you would be missing out on some significant talent. That would be like making a decision based on the color of the guys shirt.

If you are feel that they are overpriced...fine. There are many that are perfectly comfortable with the price. That does not imply anything other than they have the means to make that kind of purchasing decision at that time. Does not effect you one bit.
Score
Anonymous
March 22, 2012 3:54:26 PM

And this is why Microsoft will always be playing runner up/2nd best in the technology markets. Sticking their heads in the sand will not help spurn creativity. This bitter "we hate apple" attitude is going to cost them innovation. What they need to be thinking is "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer". They could actually learn a thing or two from apple. Every M$ user interface always feels like some horrible bastardization of other more successful UI's. I guarantee Google has no shame at experimenting with apple products and figuring out how to make them better.
Score
March 22, 2012 5:14:18 PM

Quote:
Still, to actually come out and ban Apple products may seem like a drastic move to some.

where the hell have you been for the last 1,000 years?
you use a competitors product you get FIRED on the spot, that's been the standard since FOREVER.
when is the last time you have seen an employee of one company refer you to go buy a competitors product, and i do not mean a retail store i mean the makers!
hell i have even tried to get an okay from the ceo's to be able to refer known BAD/troublesome customers to competitors, the answer i got was
Quote:
make the sale, i don't care what the problems are, i will not send money to a competitor we are trying to eliminate, we want that money, now go make the sale and if i find out they buy it from our competitor, your fired!
Score
March 22, 2012 5:29:22 PM

This mail was only for the Marketting folks. These are the people who publicly represent Microsoft.

Development teams will of course still have access to Apple products if their work requires it. This includes Office for Mac and MS Hardware (mice and keyboards) among other groups.
Score
March 22, 2012 5:48:13 PM

A Bad DayI wonder how fast would a MS employee lose his/her job if the employee purposely brought a Mac laptop. iPhone, iPod touch and iPad to work...

What if the user is a Software Developer that develops Microsoft Apps for Apple? After all Microsoft does make a version of Office and IE for the Mac.
Score
March 22, 2012 5:54:22 PM

What an incredible waste of money. A macbook with a i3 processor and a seriously weaksauce video card is 900 bucks.
Score
March 22, 2012 6:09:58 PM

ap3xWow, that is all I have to say. If you dealt with high level network/security engineers you would not be saying anything like this. I think you would be surprised at how pervasive the Macbook Pro is in IT engineering. Some of the best in the business prefer to use Macs over HP, Dell, Lenovo. If you where in management and made your decision on a qualified person by basis of their computing preference you would be missing out on some significant talent. That would be like making a decision based on the color of the guys shirt.If you are feel that they are overpriced...fine. There are many that are perfectly comfortable with the price. That does not imply anything other than they have the means to make that kind of purchasing decision at that time. Does not effect you one bit.

I have to echo this statement as well. I'm in the IT industry and many, many other IT Pros I come across are Mac users. I generally think much more highly of other IT people that have experience with OS X and other Linux/UNIX OSes. Whenever I go to IT conferences, I'm always amazed by the number of people with Macs and Apple devices. I've always been multi-platform and I find those that only stick to one platform as very narrow minded. People I've interviewed for jobs with Mac experience in addition to Windows always get the edge with me.
Score
March 22, 2012 9:20:05 PM

I think this is a general rule. MS has products that can 'replace' any Iproduct, and a good way to promote that is to have the employees using them. They can make suggestions to improve the product.

With all the support MS does for mac, there will be heaps of cases where apple products will be purchased. IE mac office and comparing.
Score
March 23, 2012 3:12:36 PM

capt_tacoIf I was running a company, I wouldn't let anyone waste my money on Apple products either. And if they owned a Mac or an iPhone on their own, I wouldn't hire them in the first place, because it would tell me they're probably flaky, technologically inept, and bad with money.

I don't wanna be that guy, but please do some research, Apple users are higher income and higher educated people. Don't bother responding just do the research!!!

I'm NOT an apple user btw. I use a flip phone. haha
Score
!