Win98se now upgraded to WinXP but network wont work :-(

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I finally managed to upgrade my Win98 (on 2nd partition) to WinXP Pro.
Everything seems OK (hnags a lot though, don't really know why).

BUT, I can't get on the net :-(

NIC drivers (Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet) are installed. WinXP notices
if cable is connected or not. DHCP adress is assign from my router at
boot (but renew hangs if I try), but there is no connection when I try
accessing anything (ping, http, not even the web-menu inside router).

If I boot back itno my clean Win98se partition (like now) everything
works, so there's no network trouble or router trouble.

So what should I check? I get no error-messages so I'm a bit lost
(and a bit sad, this went so good when I did the same at work, I'm
actually considering staying with Win98se if you donæt have any tips,
I could do a clean XP install, but it would take forever to restore
all installer programs and settings, so I'd really not want too...)

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    Upgrades from Win 98 to XP are KNOWN to have problems more often than not.
    XP much prefers a clean install from the full version.

    --
    DaveW

    "Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
    >I finally managed to upgrade my Win98 (on 2nd partition) to WinXP Pro.
    > Everything seems OK (hnags a lot though, don't really know why).
    >
    > BUT, I can't get on the net :-(
    >
    > NIC drivers (Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet) are installed. WinXP notices
    > if cable is connected or not. DHCP adress is assign from my router at
    > boot (but renew hangs if I try), but there is no connection when I try
    > accessing anything (ping, http, not even the web-menu inside router).
    >
    > If I boot back itno my clean Win98se partition (like now) everything
    > works, so there's no network trouble or router trouble.
    >
    > So what should I check? I get no error-messages so I'm a bit lost
    > (and a bit sad, this went so good when I did the same at work, I'm
    > actually considering staying with Win98se if you donæt have any tips,
    > I could do a clean XP install, but it would take forever to restore
    > all installer programs and settings, so I'd really not want too...)
    >
    > --
    > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    > Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Lars;

    Basically I think DaveW is right, I have read many times that a clean
    install of XP or XPP is preferable to an upgrade.

    Still... You really cannot ping anything? So in XPP, when you try: Start >
    Run > (you type:) cmd > OK > (you type:) ping localhost
    and hit the Enter key, does this produce "Ping request cound not find"
    errors?

    Try unplugging your router for 30 seconds and plugging it back in, just
    before you reboot to XP Pro. If that fails you might check your network
    connection in Win98: Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network,
    double-click on the TCP/IP entry for the NIC connected to your router, and
    click the tabs looking for any non-default settings such as gateway or DNS
    server IP addresses that you might have to duplicate in XP Pro: Start >
    Settings > Network Connections > (Select the Network connection) >
    Properties > TCP/IP > Properties > (and maybe Advanced).

    TomC

    "Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
    >I finally managed to upgrade my Win98 (on 2nd partition) to WinXP Pro.
    > Everything seems OK (hnags a lot though, don't really know why).
    >
    > BUT, I can't get on the net :-(
    >
    > NIC drivers (Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet) are installed. WinXP notices
    > if cable is connected or not. DHCP adress is assign from my router at
    > boot (but renew hangs if I try), but there is no connection when I try
    > accessing anything (ping, http, not even the web-menu inside router).
    >
    > If I boot back itno my clean Win98se partition (like now) everything
    > works, so there's no network trouble or router trouble.
    >
    > So what should I check? I get no error-messages so I'm a bit lost
    > (and a bit sad, this went so good when I did the same at work, I'm
    > actually considering staying with Win98se if you donæt have any tips,
    > I could do a clean XP install, but it would take forever to restore
    > all installer programs and settings, so I'd really not want too...)
    >
    > --
    > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    > Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    In article <Ijmgd.991$QN3.980@news02.roc.ny>, albert@ayler.bye says...
    > Lars;
    >
    > Basically I think DaveW is right, I have read many times that a clean
    > install of XP or XPP is preferable to an upgrade.
    >
    > Still... You really cannot ping anything? So in XPP, when you try: Start >
    > Run > (you type:) cmd > OK > (you type:) ping localhost
    > and hit the Enter key, does this produce "Ping request cound not find"
    > errors?
    >
    > Try unplugging your router for 30 seconds and plugging it back in, just
    > before you reboot to XP Pro. If that fails you might check your network
    > connection in Win98: Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network,
    > double-click on the TCP/IP entry for the NIC connected to your router, and
    > click the tabs looking for any non-default settings such as gateway or DNS
    > server IP addresses that you might have to duplicate in XP Pro: Start >
    > Settings > Network Connections > (Select the Network connection) >
    > Properties > TCP/IP > Properties > (and maybe Advanced).
    >
    > TomC
    >

    > "Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
    > >I finally managed to upgrade my Win98 (on 2nd partition) to WinXP Pro.
    > > Everything seems OK (hnags a lot though, don't really know why).
    > >
    > > BUT, I can't get on the net :-(
    > >
    > > NIC drivers (Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet) are installed. WinXP notices
    > > if cable is connected or not. DHCP adress is assign from my router at
    > > boot (but renew hangs if I try), but there is no connection when I try
    > > accessing anything (ping, http, not even the web-menu inside router).
    > >
    > > If I boot back itno my clean Win98se partition (like now) everything
    > > works, so there's no network trouble or router trouble.
    > >
    > > So what should I check? I get no error-messages so I'm a bit lost
    > > (and a bit sad, this went so good when I did the same at work, I'm
    > > actually considering staying with Win98se if you donæt have any tips,
    > > I could do a clean XP install, but it would take forever to restore
    > > all installer programs and settings, so I'd really not want too...)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    > > Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    You might also wish to try deleting the network adapter altogether in
    the device manager and let WinXP redetect it (and reload the drivers).
    If you're desperate, anyway ...
    --
    BC
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "Lars-Erik Østerud" wrote:

    > I finally managed to upgrade my Win98 (on 2nd partition) to WinXP Pro.
    > Everything seems OK (hnags a lot though, don't really know why).
    >
    > BUT, I can't get on the net :-(
    >
    > NIC drivers (Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet) are installed. WinXP notices
    > if cable is connected or not. DHCP adress is assign from my router at
    > boot (but renew hangs if I try), but there is no connection when I try
    > accessing anything (ping, http, not even the web-menu inside router).
    >
    > If I boot back itno my clean Win98se partition (like now) everything
    > works, so there's no network trouble or router trouble.
    >
    > So what should I check? I get no error-messages so I'm a bit lost
    > (and a bit sad, this went so good when I did the same at work, I'm
    > actually considering staying with Win98se if you donæt have any tips,
    > I could do a clean XP install, but it would take forever to restore
    > all installer programs and settings, so I'd really not want too...)
    >
    > --
    > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    > Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    great... you installed a castle ontop of a swamp, and your wondering why
    your getting that sinking feeling.
    ALWAYS do a clean install, upgrades are idiotic.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Guys, doesnt it jut sound like he needs to get xp drivers for his nic?
    maybe im wrong but.......
    "Gordon Scott" <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
    > "Lars-Erik Østerud" wrote:
    >>
    >> I finally managed to upgrade my Win98 (on 2nd partition) to WinXP Pro.
    >> Everything seems OK (hnags a lot though, don't really know why).
    >>
    >> BUT, I can't get on the net :-(
    >>
    >> NIC drivers (Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet) are installed. WinXP notices
    >> if cable is connected or not. DHCP adress is assign from my router at
    >> boot (but renew hangs if I try), but there is no connection when I try
    >> accessing anything (ping, http, not even the web-menu inside router).
    >>
    >> If I boot back itno my clean Win98se partition (like now) everything
    >> works, so there's no network trouble or router trouble.
    >>
    >> So what should I check? I get no error-messages so I'm a bit lost
    >> (and a bit sad, this went so good when I did the same at work, I'm
    >> actually considering staying with Win98se if you donæt have any tips,
    >> I could do a clean XP install, but it would take forever to restore
    >> all installer programs and settings, so I'd really not want too...)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    >> Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
    >
    > great... you installed a castle ontop of a swamp, and your wondering why
    > your getting that sinking feeling.
    > ALWAYS do a clean install, upgrades are idiotic.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Jake skrev:

    > Guys, doesnt it jut sound like he needs to get xp drivers for his nic?
    > maybe im wrong but.......

    Did some cleanup and my upgraded XP now works like a charm :-)

    Have just one problem, avast! and ZA Pro delays start for 30 sec after
    the XP desktop appears. Don't know why. Tried uninstalling one of
    them, but the other still delays start. A bit annoying as mail-service
    is unavialable under avast mail-scanner starts, and all internet
    services are unavialable until ZA starts.

    Can I try moving the "Run" entries for these programs in registry to
    other "Run" sections or to the "Startup" folder? Will this help?

    Is there another way to debug startup order and time, or to rearrange
    the startup order, or at least monitor what is happening (or not) ?

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    get rid of 98 and you'd probably save enough time due to reboots to make you
    happy. ZA takes time to start even with XP which very seldom locks up. HAve
    a look at MSconfig it allows you to change startups and order of loading.

    > Jake skrev:
    >
    > > Guys, doesnt it jut sound like he needs to get xp drivers for his nic?
    > > maybe im wrong but.......
    >
    > Did some cleanup and my upgraded XP now works like a charm :-)
    >
    > Have just one problem, avast! and ZA Pro delays start for 30 sec after
    > the XP desktop appears. Don't know why. Tried uninstalling one of
    > them, but the other still delays start. A bit annoying as mail-service
    > is unavialable under avast mail-scanner starts, and all internet
    > services are unavialable until ZA starts.
    >
    > Can I try moving the "Run" entries for these programs in registry to
    > other "Run" sections or to the "Startup" folder? Will this help?
    >
    > Is there another way to debug startup order and time, or to rearrange
    > the startup order, or at least monitor what is happening (or not) ?
    >
    > --
    > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    > Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

Asus Motherboards