HELP: how to boot faster? Why BIOS VGA card first ?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,alt.comp.pheriphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hi there!

I am wondering why the VGA BIOS is shown first and then the POST of
the BIOS starts.
There could be some time saved when it could be skipped, but HOW??
Anyone who can help me on this one??

Thanks very much !

Kees
2 answers Last reply
More about help boot faster bios card
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,alt.comp.pheriphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    that depends on your video card..my 9600XT and Ti4200 do not do that..
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,alt.comp.pheriphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Kees" <PA8540@home.removeee-thisss.nl> wrote in message
    > Hi there!
    >
    > I am wondering why the VGA BIOS is shown first and then the POST of
    > the BIOS starts.
    > There could be some time saved when it could be skipped, but HOW??
    > Anyone who can help me on this one??
    >
    > Thanks very much !
    Most cards do their own memory check of the video memory while displaying
    this message, and the initialisation of the processors on the card. On a
    normal monitor, it is common for the screen to not even display before the
    main system BIOS is reached. The display BIOS being initialised before the
    main BIOS, is needed to allow the main BIOS to access the display at all,
    and is part of the original IBM spec. On some cards, the time involved is
    only about half a second, and the message is often not visible (with many
    monitors taking more time to 'sync' to the video signal, than the BIOS
    takes to initialise), while others can be slower. However the 'message',
    really costs you nothing, it is just showing that the display BIOS is
    initialising. Conversely, most main BIOS's, can be speeded a lot, by
    reducing much of the 'automatic' searching (on many BIOS's it is
    noticeably faster to manually set the drive types, and disable searching
    for add-on BIOS's (unless you have any), and particularly, disable any
    'splash screen' displays.
    Generally, it is a function of your video card, and there is nothing you
    can do about it, except try other cards, and see if any have a faster
    initialisation.

    Best Wishes

Asus BIOS VGA Motherboards