HELP: how to boot faster? Why BIOS VGA card first ?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,alt.comp.pheriphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hi there!

I am wondering why the VGA BIOS is shown first and then the POST of
the BIOS starts.
There could be some time saved when it could be skipped, but HOW??
Anyone who can help me on this one??

Thanks very much !

Kees

Dino

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,alt.comp.pheriphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

that depends on your video card..my 9600XT and Ti4200 do not do that..

"Kees" <PA8540@home.removeee-thisss.nl> wrote in message
> Hi there!
>
> I am wondering why the VGA BIOS is shown first and then the POST of
> the BIOS starts.
> There could be some time saved when it could be skipped, but HOW??
> Anyone who can help me on this one??
>
> Thanks very much !
Most cards do their own memory check of the video memory while displaying
this message, and the initialisation of the processors on the card. On a
normal monitor, it is common for the screen to not even display before the
main system BIOS is reached. The display BIOS being initialised before the
main BIOS, is needed to allow the main BIOS to access the display at all,
and is part of the original IBM spec. On some cards, the time involved is
only about half a second, and the message is often not visible (with many
monitors taking more time to 'sync' to the video signal, than the BIOS
takes to initialise), while others can be slower. However the 'message',
really costs you nothing, it is just showing that the display BIOS is
initialising. Conversely, most main BIOS's, can be speeded a lot, by
reducing much of the 'automatic' searching (on many BIOS's it is
noticeably faster to manually set the drive types, and disable searching
for add-on BIOS's (unless you have any), and particularly, disable any
'splash screen' displays.
Generally, it is a function of your video card, and there is nothing you
can do about it, except try other cards, and see if any have a faster
initialisation.

Best Wishes