Xp Home SP2 Problems

spike

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2003

Okay so heres my story.

I updated from SP1 on Windows XP Home to the beta of SP2,
Well I didn't think it would mess up my computer this bad.

Since then I had to buy a new harddrive. The other one
gets to the windows xp screen with the scrolly thing, then
it goes black and then the harddrive shuts off and the
computer restarts.

But heres the catch, Since I'm now running XP Pro. I can
hook the harddrive up as a slave and view its contents!
BUT I cant get into my old profile, It says Access Denied.
And when I view the properties it says "Size: 0 bytes,
Size on disk: 0 bytes, Contains: 0 files, 0 folders"

Is this just because of the XP security? Is there a way
around this? I want all my stuff back, I have alot of
important work and photos I would love to get back. Not to
mention all my other personal files.

Supposidly the computer shop I went to told me they tried
a system restore but it didnt work. So now I dont know
what to do.

Is there a way of hacking the profile to get my stuff back?

bar

Your 'repair' shop is staffed by amateurs!

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - a simple document supplied by Microsoft!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp#2#2

"Spike" wrote:

> Okay so heres my story.
>
> I updated from SP1 on Windows XP Home to the beta of SP2,
> Well I didn't think it would mess up my computer this bad.
>
> Since then I had to buy a new harddrive. The other one
> gets to the windows xp screen with the scrolly thing, then
> it goes black and then the harddrive shuts off and the
> computer restarts.
>
> But heres the catch, Since I'm now running XP Pro. I can
> hook the harddrive up as a slave and view its contents!
> BUT I cant get into my old profile, It says Access Denied.
> And when I view the properties it says "Size: 0 bytes,
> Size on disk: 0 bytes, Contains: 0 files, 0 folders"
>
> Is this just because of the XP security? Is there a way
> around this? I want all my stuff back, I have alot of
> important work and photos I would love to get back. Not to
> mention all my other personal files.
>
> Supposidly the computer shop I went to told me they tried
> a system restore but it didnt work. So now I dont know
> what to do.
>
> Is there a way of hacking the profile to get my stuff back?

Well that kind of helps, but heres the catch22. I cant
boot up using harddrive "A" with the sp2 beta. And since
I'm now using Xp PRO on harddrive "B", I tried that and
theres only a "General, Sharing and Customize" tab for the
properties.

us;308421&Product=winxp#2#2

>"Spike" wrote:
>
>> Okay so heres my story.
>>
>> I updated from SP1 on Windows XP Home to the beta of
SP2,
>> Well I didn't think it would mess up my computer this
bad.

>> Since then I had to buy a new harddrive. The other one
>> gets to the windows xp screen with the scrolly thing,
then
>> it goes black and then the harddrive shuts off and the
>> computer restarts.
>>
>> But heres the catch, Since I'm now running XP Pro. I
can
>> hook the harddrive up as a slave and view its contents!
>> BUT I cant get into my old profile, It says Access
Denied.
>> And when I view the properties it says "Size: 0 bytes,
>> Size on disk: 0 bytes, Contains: 0 files, 0 folders"
>>
>> Is this just because of the XP security? Is there a way
>> around this? I want all my stuff back, I have alot of
>> important work and photos I would love to get back. Not
>> mention all my other personal files.
>>
>> Supposidly the computer shop I went to told me they
tried
>> a system restore but it didnt work. So now I dont know
>> what to do.
>>
>> Is there a way of hacking the profile to get my stuff
back?

>.

Why did you upgrade???
Didn't you see this on the Microsoft website:
WARNING!
This technical preview is unsupported and is intended for
testing purposes only. Do not use in production
environments.

It should have said: Not for amateurs !

> Your 'repair' shop is staffed by amateurs!
>

> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - a simple
> document supplied by Microsoft!
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp#2#2
>

> "Spike" wrote:
>
>> Okay so heres my story.
>>
>> I updated from SP1 on Windows XP Home to the beta of SP2,
>> Well I didn't think it would mess up my computer this bad.
>>
>> Since then I had to buy a new harddrive. The other one
>> gets to the windows xp screen with the scrolly thing, then
>> it goes black and then the harddrive shuts off and the
>> computer restarts.
>>
>> But heres the catch, Since I'm now running XP Pro. I can
>> hook the harddrive up as a slave and view its contents!
>> BUT I cant get into my old profile, It says Access Denied.
>> And when I view the properties it says "Size: 0 bytes,
>> Size on disk: 0 bytes, Contains: 0 files, 0 folders"
>>
>> Is this just because of the XP security? Is there a way
>> around this? I want all my stuff back, I have alot of
>> important work and photos I would love to get back. Not to
>> mention all my other personal files.
>>
>> Supposidly the computer shop I went to told me they tried
>> a system restore but it didnt work. So now I dont know
>> what to do.
>>
>> Is there a way of hacking the profile to get my stuff back?

"had to buy a new hard drive" you got conned

--
If the information posted above helps then let me know.
If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.

---

spike

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2003

I dunno if I'm making this clean enough or not.
So its like this,

Harddrive "A" has home w/ the stupid update. It wont boot
up into windows no matter what I do.

Harddrive "B" has xp pro, it runs fine and I can view the
contents of harddrive "A" if I have it set as a slave
harddrive. And when I try to access the profile on
harddrive "A" it says access denied.

All I'm asking is a way to get into the exsisting profile
on harddrive "A" and retrieve my stuff.

02/07/2004

>.

under xp pro

make sure the administrator password is the exact same as on the install of home

if you were logging in as a seperate account from the administrator account on the home installation create an account in pro with the same name and your exact old password as on home

then follow the instrautions listed in the help article for taking possesion of your old files

"Spike" wrote:

> I dunno if I'm making this clean enough or not.
> So its like this,
>
> Harddrive "A" has home w/ the stupid update. It wont boot
> up into windows no matter what I do.
>
> Harddrive "B" has xp pro, it runs fine and I can view the
> contents of harddrive "A" if I have it set as a slave
> harddrive. And when I try to access the profile on
> harddrive "A" it says access denied.
>
> All I'm asking is a way to get into the exsisting profile
> on harddrive "A" and retrieve my stuff.

You can take an ownership of this profile directory or the whole disk.

spike

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2003

Its not giving me that option.

I'm gunna try a different apporach with you people, cause
what I'm trying to get across isnt getting there.

This harddrive with the stuff I want on it. WILL NOT BOOT
UP into windows xp home. It just restarts all the time.
How do I fix this? I know its because of the SP2.

So, now that I have that set.

SINCE, I couldnt use the old harddrive. I bought a new one
and installed xp pro. And I took the old harddrive, and
put it as a slave to see if it worked. It showed up on my
computer, So i thought i could get the files off of it in
my old profile. But it says access denied. This is where
I'm stuck.

I'm not using the home OS that made that profile, im using
a pro OS on this computer, because I cant get into home
OS.

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 12:22:02 -0700, "the dude"
<thedude@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>under xp pro
>
>make sure the administrator password is the exact same as on the install of home
>
>if you were logging in as a seperate account from the administrator account on the home installation create an account in pro with the same name and your exact old password as on home
>
>then follow the instrautions listed in the help article for taking possesion of your old files

This won't work. It doesn't matter if the account and password are
exactly the same under both installations. The SID (security
identifier) of the two accounts aren't identical, regardless of the
username/password thing. The OP needs to take ownership of the old
profile folder.

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 13:49:44 -0700, "Spike" <tmasters@gmail.com> wrote:

>Its not giving me that option.
>
>I'm gunna try a different apporach with you people, cause
>what I'm trying to get across isnt getting there.
>
>This harddrive with the stuff I want on it. WILL NOT BOOT
>UP into windows xp home. It just restarts all the time.
>How do I fix this? I know its because of the SP2.
>
>So, now that I have that set.
>
>SINCE, I couldnt use the old harddrive. I bought a new one
>and installed xp pro. And I took the old harddrive, and
>put it as a slave to see if it worked. It showed up on my
>computer, So i thought i could get the files off of it in
>my old profile. But it says access denied. This is where
>I'm stuck.
>
>I'm not using the home OS that made that profile, im using
>a pro OS on this computer, because I cant get into home
>OS.

OK, here's the skinny: look under XP help under Taking Ownership of
FIles and Folders. It's all in there and spelled out nice and clear.

Oh, and you got conned. There's no reason you had to buy a second
drive.

Lastly, what exactly did you expect when you installed unfinished,
not-completely-tested, BETA software on your system?

spike

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2003

Lets get this straight! XP HOME WILL NOT BOOT UP. IF it
doesnt boot up? How am I suppose to get into the ownership
files? explain this one to me!

Simple as that. It doesnt give me the option okay?

And NO I wasnt conned, I wanted to buy a 2nd harddrive to
begin with.

>OK, here's the skinny: look under XP help under Taking
Ownership of
>FIles and Folders. It's all in there and spelled out
nice and clear.

>Oh, and you got conned. There's no reason you had to buy
a second
>drive.
>
>Lastly, what exactly did you expect when you installed
unfinished,
>not-completely-tested, BETA software on your system?
>
>.

Hey Spike - Since you cannot boot into XP Home you should do a Repair
Installation but make sure you select the right XP !

"Spike" <tmasters@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Lets get this straight! XP HOME WILL NOT BOOT UP. IF it
> doesnt boot up? How am I suppose to get into the ownership
> files? explain this one to me!
>
> Simple as that. It doesnt give me the option okay?
>
> And NO I wasnt conned, I wanted to buy a 2nd harddrive to
> begin with.
>

> >OK, here's the skinny: look under XP help under Taking
> Ownership of
> >FIles and Folders. It's all in there and spelled out
> nice and clear.
> >
> >Oh, and you got conned. There's no reason you had to buy
> a second
> >drive.
> >
> >Lastly, what exactly did you expect when you installed
> unfinished,
> >not-completely-tested, BETA software on your system?
> >
> >.

If your copy of XP is XP Home the nboot to safe mode. The security tab will be present.

If your copy is XPP then you may have to turn off "Simple File Sharing to gain access to the security tab.
To turn off simple file saharing:
Open My Computer.
Click on Tools/Folder Options
Click on the View tab.
scroll to the bottom and untick Use simple file sharing.

Now the security tab will be present.

"anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> Why did you upgrade???
> Didn't you see this on the Microsoft website:
> WARNING!
> This technical preview is unsupported and is intended for
> testing purposes only. Do not use in production
> environments.
>
> It should have said: Not for amateurs !

FINALLY AN ANSWER THAT MIGHT HELP ME!!! YOU ARE A GOD!!!

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 17:52:49 -0700, "Spike" <tmasters@gmail.com> wrote:

>>OK, here's the skinny: look under XP help under Taking
>Ownership of
>>FIles and Folders. It's all in there and spelled out
>nice and clear.
>>
>>Oh, and you got conned. There's no reason you had to buy
>a second
>>drive.
>>
>>Lastly, what exactly did you expect when you installed
>unfinished,
>>not-completely-tested, BETA software on your system?
>>
>>.
>>
>Lets get this straight! XP HOME WILL NOT BOOT UP. IF it
>doesnt boot up? How am I suppose to get into the ownership
>files? explain this one to me!
>
>Simple as that. It doesnt give me the option okay?
>
>And NO I wasnt conned, I wanted to buy a 2nd harddrive to
>begin with.

It doesn't matter if you can't boot the Home drive. Boot into your
new drive you said had Pro installed on it. Then get into Help and
follow the above directions.

Oh, and you didn't originally mention that you WANTED to get a 2nd
drive, but congratulations. Two drives is the way to go as far as I'm
concerned. To each their own on that issue.