Loose SATA cable connector:Any Fix?

ASUS P4P800SE come with 2 SATA cables. However the connectors to the
board as well as to the drive are exremely loose. Unlike the IDE
connectors, the SATA connectors can come off easily by just a slight
push on the cable. Concern is cable coming off when the drive is in
write mode. This I think could cause damage to the drive.
Is there any fix to this? Are there any other SATA cable/connectors
that can do a better job.?
TIA

Helob wrote:
> ASUS P4P800SE come with 2 SATA cables. However the connectors to the
> board as well as to the drive are exremely loose. Unlike the IDE
> connectors, the SATA connectors can come off easily by just a slight
> push on the cable. Concern is cable coming off when the drive is in
> write mode. This I think could cause damage to the drive.
> Is there any fix to this? Are there any other SATA cable/connectors
> that can do a better job.?
> TIA

The SATA II standard apparently specifies a better
connector and the cables are supposed to be backwards
compatible with SATA I drives. Perhaps the new type
of cables will grab the socket on the drives a little
better ?

Other than that, you could try what I did.

I used a _small_ dab of latex caulking to sort of glue
one end of the cables to a motherboard connector or
a connector on a SATA RAID card. If I need to remove
a cable, the caulking peels away with just a little
effort.

At the drive end, I looped the "end" of an elastic band
around the end of the cable just behind the connector,
and then looped the rest of the elastic around the drive.
If you use the 3 or 4 mm wide rubber bands, the friction
of the rubber around the drive casing stops the band from
sliding or rolling off the drive.

--
BOYCOTT GOOGLE !
Partners in crime with the scum that rules China.

In article <OUsgd.53003$%k.46065@pd7tw2no>, rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca
says...
> I used a _small_ dab of latex caulking to sort of glue
> one end of the cables to a motherboard connector or
> a connector on a SATA RAID card. If I need to remove
> a cable, the caulking peels away with just a little
> effort.

You need to make sure that the glue/latex you use does not have any
acid/corrosive in it when drying - most of them expel some form of
corrosive.

A jar of Rubber Cement is often free of corrosives and easy to remove.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Venom

On the other hand, a hot glue gun works just great.

"Leythos" <void@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> In article <OUsgd.53003$%k.46065@pd7tw2no>, rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca
> says...
> > I used a _small_ dab of latex caulking to sort of glue
> > one end of the cables to a motherboard connector or
> > a connector on a SATA RAID card. If I need to remove
> > a cable, the caulking peels away with just a little
> > effort.
>
> You need to make sure that the glue/latex you use does not have any
> acid/corrosive in it when drying - most of them expel some form of
> corrosive.
>
> A jar of Rubber Cement is often free of corrosives and easy to remove.

> spamfree999@rrohio.com
> (Remove 999 to reply to me)

I used instant glue several months ago, and it still holds.

"Venom" <Viper@mailhouse.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
u0Cgd.3325$K7.2308@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> On the other hand, a hot glue gun works just great.
>

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.org> wrote in message
>> In article <OUsgd.53003$%k.46065@pd7tw2no>, rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca
>> says...
>> > I used a _small_ dab of latex caulking to sort of glue
>> > one end of the cables to a motherboard connector or
>> > a connector on a SATA RAID card. If I need to remove
>> > a cable, the caulking peels away with just a little
>> > effort.
>>
>> You need to make sure that the glue/latex you use does not have any
>> acid/corrosive in it when drying - most of them expel some form of
>> corrosive.
>>
>> A jar of Rubber Cement is often free of corrosives and easy to remove.
>>
>> --
>> --
>> spamfree999@rrohio.com
>> (Remove 999 to reply to me)

45ACP

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2004

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:34:44 -0400, "FG" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote:

>I used instant glue several months ago, and it still holds.

My IDE connectors are solid ;)

You connector on the cable probably is damaged.
Check for any crack.

<45ACP> a écrit dans le message de news:
fb58o018h22kgh7kt8msma2ksigt271t2e@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:34:44 -0400, "FG" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote:
>
>>I used instant glue several months ago, and it still holds.
>
> My IDE connectors are solid ;)

We are talking about SATA connector and not IDE.

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 15:28:44 -0700, 45ACP wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:34:44 -0400, "FG" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote:
>
>>I used instant glue several months ago, and it still holds.
>
>My IDE connectors are solid ;)

TK

Yes and mine are solid here too (SATA), from my P4P800-E Deluxe
Mobo, maybe they got better recently?