[P2B] dual celeron tualatin -- is it possible?

geos

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003

hello,

looking for the answer to that question I googled a little and saw some
posts/pages which stated that "intel does not support dual celeron
tualatin configuration" but they didn't state this configuration was
impossible. however some other pages state that it is not possible. what
is the truth? is is possible to run dual celeron tualatin on P2B-D
motherboard as it is possible to run dual PIII tualatin with it?

cheers,
geos

In article <clt7hq$77b$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl>, geos@nowhere.org says...
> hello,
>
> looking for the answer to that question I googled a little and saw some
> posts/pages which stated that "intel does not support dual celeron
> tualatin configuration" but they didn't state this configuration was
> impossible. however some other pages state that it is not possible. what
> is the truth? is is possible to run dual celeron tualatin on P2B-D
> motherboard as it is possible to run dual PIII tualatin with it?

I have Dual P3/1Ghz running in a Compaq Server and it works fine. I also
have Dual Celeron 500Mhz running on a BP6. It was my understanding that
after the P3 is when things changed on Duals. Before the P4 if your
board had Dual sockets, as long as it supported the CPU that you could
run Duals - you might have to make sure they are the same STEP.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

"Leythos" <void@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> In article <clt7hq$77b$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl>, geos@nowhere.org says...
>> hello,
>>
>> looking for the answer to that question I googled a little and saw some
>> posts/pages which stated that "intel does not support dual celeron
>> tualatin configuration" but they didn't state this configuration was
>> impossible. however some other pages state that it is not possible. what
>> is the truth? is is possible to run dual celeron tualatin on P2B-D
>> motherboard as it is possible to run dual PIII tualatin with it?
>
> I have Dual P3/1Ghz running in a Compaq Server and it works fine. I also
> have Dual Celeron 500Mhz running on a BP6. It was my understanding that
> after the P3 is when things changed on Duals. Before the P4 if your
> board had Dual sockets, as long as it supported the CPU that you could
> run Duals - you might have to make sure they are the same STEP.

Same stepping works better, but not always necessary. I bought a dual and
found out later:

System Information report written at: 10/29/2004 08:33:37 AM
[System Summary]

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Version 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DARKSTAR
System Manufacturer GBT___
System Model AWRDACPI
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 2 GenuineIntel ~498 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~498 Mhz
BIOS Version Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
Windows Directory C:\WINNT
System Directory C:\WINNT\system32
Boot Device \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1

I get this error, but all seems to work otherwise:

The CPUs in this multiprocessor system are not all the same revision level.
To use all processors the operating system restricts itself to the features
of the least capable processor in the system. Should problems occur with
this system, contact the CPU manufacturer to see if this mix of processors
is supported.

geos wrote:
> hello,
>
> looking for the answer to that question I googled a little and saw some
> posts/pages which stated that "intel does not support dual celeron
> tualatin configuration" but they didn't state this configuration was
> impossible. however some other pages state that it is not possible. what
> is the truth? is is possible to run dual celeron tualatin on P2B-D
> motherboard as it is possible to run dual PIII tualatin with it?

Impossible. intel does not connect the pins necessary for dual
processing to the cpu die.
Dual celerons only worked with mendocinos, neither coppermine nor
tualatins will work.
Oh and PIII tualatins are strictly uniprocessor too, you'd need PIII-S
(the 512KB cache version) for dual.

Roland

In article <10o4le6qv0cfa9@corp.supernews.com>, "m.marien" <mm AT
RiverCityCanada DOT com> says...
> Same stepping works better, but not always necessary. I bought a dual and
> found out later:

I had a heck of a time with a Dual Xeon 2.8ghz system. I had requested
matched CPU's from the vendor, but they just sent what was in stock, and
they didn't match stepping. I tried for days to get the system to
reliably post/run. It would run with either CPU, but not both. I took it
back to them and got matching CPU's and it's worked fine since.

In the old Pentium, P/II, P/III days it was a lot more forgiving.

I now use Asus PC-DL boards for low-end servers and high-end
workstations. I can build a Chenbro Dual 550W/PSU, 6x250GB + SX6000
RAID, 2x80GB, 2GB RAM, 2xXeon 533FSB/2.8Ghz, cheap video, and Windows
2003 Server Std for about $4000 - that's a Dual Xeon 1.3TB server for
next to nothing. I run about 30 websites on one of those with just
mirrored 250GB drives and it never has more than 10% load on it.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Roland Scheidegger wrote:
> geos wrote:
>
>> hello,
>>
>> looking for the answer to that question I googled a little and saw
>> some posts/pages which stated that "intel does not support dual
>> celeron tualatin configuration" but they didn't state this
>> configuration was impossible. however some other pages state that it
>> is not possible. what is the truth? is is possible to run dual celeron
>> tualatin on P2B-D motherboard as it is possible to run dual PIII
>> tualatin with it?
>

> Impossible. intel does not connect the pins necessary for dual
> processing to the cpu die.

I've heard that, and even repeated it myself - but do we *know* that's
the case?

There are visible traces leading from both BR1# pins (x2 and n33)
towards the core on a Tualatin Celeron...

P2B wrote:

>> Impossible. intel does not connect the pins necessary for dual
>> processing to the cpu die.
>

> I've heard that, and even repeated it myself - but do we *know* that's
> the case?
>
> There are visible traces leading from both BR1# pins (x2 and n33)
> towards the core on a Tualatin Celeron...

It is possible intel disables this functionality the same way as they
lock the multiplier - by burning on-die fuses.
Nobody *knows* this (I'm sure some people at intel know it :)) - but
experiments showed the cpus simply do not work in a dual configuration
(I'm pretty sure some people tried that, didn't you do that yourself?
I've only got a lone single-cpu P2B...). And this sounds like the most
probable reason.
(though I'm not sure for tualatins, afaik coppermine celerons used the
same die as coppermine PIII - but the tualatin PIII-S uses a different
die (?) than tualatin PIII/celeron, so there would be certainly other
ways do disable multiprocessing capabilities.)

Roland