Jornada 56x Storage Card Limit

a b G Storage
a b } Memory
June 18, 2004 11:34:53 AM

Is there a limit to the size of the add on memory I can add, I mean
MMC/SD/CF is there a limit to the size of the card I can stick in there?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
a b } Memory
June 18, 2004 3:37:12 PM

There's probably a limit, but I don't think anyone will make a memory card of that size for years to come.

"Steve Ramage" <vanforsale6@sjrx.net> wrote in message news:xWwAc.799914$Ig.182141@pd7tw2no...
> Is there a limit to the size of the add on memory I can add, I mean
> MMC/SD/CF is there a limit to the size of the card I can stick in there?

Anonymous
a b G Storage
a b } Memory
June 19, 2004 5:21:09 PM

There are pysical limits to the size of partitions depending on the file
system used (MS site shows these), but there may also be limits within the
ppc OS/BIOS as there were with PC's.

The PC showed up as errors, or not detecting full disk size where over
certain sizes were not recognised, and one error where the disk wrapped
round to the start overwriting the original content.
Any issues like this wouldn't really come apparent until they are reached
those larger sizes as with PC's/hard disks- manufacturers seem reluctant
to publicise 'potential' 'theoretical' problems in advance of there actually
being an issue. Understandably really, why worry people about something that
can't/doesn't happen just now. And it may affect sales if one company said
it has an 8Gb or 32Gb limit when others don't?
Some people will assume that companies not publicising such a limit won't
have that limit. And how much can companies be held responsible for
potential issues?
With the PC there are BIOS updates that overcome limits on
some machines, others use an overlay to get round the problem. (The sensible
route for PC's if there is no update is to fit a new controller card).

As with the PC there may be fixes released *if* it becomes an issue. Or you
just get Storage Cards smaller than any error allows.

FYI FAT16 allows partition sizes up to around 4Gb.
FAT 32 allows larger sizes- supports up to 2 terabytes in size, but has a
minimum size around 260 Mb .

"Steve Ramage" <vanforsale6@sjrx.net> wrote in message
> Is there a limit to the size of the add on memory I can add, I mean
> MMC/SD/CF is there a limit to the size of the card I can stick in there?

a b G Storage
a b } Memory
June 20, 2004 8:27:19 PM

Personally I never had any luck with SD or MMC cards above 128M. They just
weren't consistent, files missing, wanting to be reformatted, etc. This was
with several brands of cards, and two 568s with the MMC battery and the PC
card sled. Never had any problems with 256M CF cards, but bigger ones were
out of my price range at the time. I had no problem with a 2G PCcard drive
in the PCcard sled, and that attached via the CF slot.

That's just my experience. It was discussed at the time and there were other
with similar experience and others with 256M SD cards with no issues. I
think the issues were predominantly caused by the HP MMC/SD driver, which of
course has not been updated and won't be. YMMV

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Steve Ramage" <vanforsale6@sjrx.net> wrote in message
> Is there a limit to the size of the add on memory I can add, I mean
> MMC/SD/CF is there a limit to the size of the card I can stick in there?

Anonymous
a b G Storage
a b } Memory
June 29, 2004 3:18:55 PM

I used to have the same problem with SD/MMC cards. However, it didn't seem to depend on the size of the card - I had tried
everything from a Kodak 64MB MMC to a Lexar 256MB SD. All had the same problems. Turns out that the primary contributor to my
problems was too many Todaay screen addins. It seems that overuse of GDI resources causes problems with other drivers and software
and SIPs. Once I learned to limit myself to one or two third party Today screen addins, and to cut back on what I had in my Startup
folder, the larger SD/MMC cards work quite well.

!