data recovery from seagate HDD

My pc was not booting geting a msg "error loading
operating system" I changed the hard disk & installed
fresh xp home edition operating system. Then I connected
old HDD in Secondery IDE. While browsing My computer I can
view The Drive D (old HDD) But unable to open (asking for
do u want to format?) I used seagate diagnostic tool in
this HDD but showing failed. In the Bios HDD detecting in
the windows I can see the drive. I have a lot of very
important data to backup from this drive. Kindly help.

Sounds like the drive had a mechanical failure.
Something here may help, may be expensive:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/datrec.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"abd2004" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My pc was not booting geting a msg "error loading
> operating system" I changed the hard disk & installed
> fresh xp home edition operating system. Then I connected
> old HDD in Secondery IDE. While browsing My computer I can
> view The Drive D (old HDD) But unable to open (asking for
> do u want to format?) I used seagate diagnostic tool in
> this HDD but showing failed. In the Bios HDD detecting in
> the windows I can see the drive. I have a lot of very
> important data to backup from this drive. Kindly help.

There are several program that can sometimes recover files from disks that
have bad boot records or similar software problems. Some are free, others
are free to try to see whether they can recognize any files, then you pay to
activate them for the recovery process. Here are some to consider:

file scavanger
R-undelete
undelete by executive software
active@filerecovery (not a web address, but the name of a program)
PC inspector file recovery (free)
handy recovery (free)

You might also consider trying to repair the boot record on the disk, hoping
that is the problem. This can be done with third-party partition-fixing
dsoftware, such as Acronis partition recovery (or disk director suite).

You might also be able to fix a boot record problem by using the XP CDROM
(if your PC came with one). Run the recovery console as described in the
links below. Be careful NOT to apply these command to the currently good
new hard drive. In fact, you might want to electrically disconnect the new
hard drive before using any partiton fixing software, just to be safe.

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm

http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy33.htm (near bottom)

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm

If the hard disk has a mechanical/electrical problem these will probably not
work, and then you will need to seek professional help, and that can be very
expensive.