Powering up via Keyboard (only works after shutdown)

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
October 30, 2004 7:20:53 AM

I've just assembled a 'media box' (Asus P4SP-MX, Antec Aria Case/PSU,
2GHz Celeron, Sapphire Radeon 9200SE, Win XP SP2) and run smack into
the brick wall that is my understanding of ACPI. I've got the BIOS set
to power up in response to a keyboard event; which works fine if the
computer was powered down using the 'shutdown' option in windows but
completely ignores me if I've just switched the power on at the mains
socket.

I *think* this must be because when windows shuts down the PSU
continues to draw a trickle charge (the 5VSB line?) which is then
enough to monitor the keyboard. For some reason though the PSU can't
respond to being switched on at the mains by going 'Oh good, power,
now I can turn on enough to wait for that nice man to fully start me
up with his keyboard'.

It is physically difficult to get to the power button on the machine
itself since it lives in a wardrobe with extension leads running to
monitor, speakers, network, KVM switch, etc. It runs cool enough (32C
under load) but I'd prefer to switch it off at the mains when I'm not
using it.

My questions, therefore, are:

1. Am I right that a windows shutdown still leaves the box drawing
some power (which my switching off at the wall interupts)?

2. What options do I have for powering it up after turning it on at
the wall (i.e. will only the power switch on the box itself work)?

3. Does leaving the box switched on at the wall (after a windows
shutdown) represent more of a fire risk than say a DVD, Video or TV?

Regards,

Matt
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2004 3:38:35 PM

It is the same with Asus A7N8X-E.

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
MaMgd.29558$Qs6.2075250@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Tomcat wrote:
>> I've just assembled a 'media box' (Asus P4SP-MX, Antec Aria Case/PSU,
>> 2GHz Celeron, Sapphire Radeon 9200SE, Win XP SP2) and run smack into
>> the brick wall that is my understanding of ACPI. I've got the BIOS set
>> to power up in response to a keyboard event; which works fine if the
>> computer was powered down using the 'shutdown' option in windows but
>> completely ignores me if I've just switched the power on at the mains
>> socket.

October 31, 2004 5:08:17 AM

FG wrote:
> It is the same with Asus A7N8X-E.

It has an AC Power Loss Restart setting also. I don't know
if it has the same wake up options, as they tend to differ
from product to product.

Paul
!