Ultra DMA

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I have three HDs in my computer ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe.
All Seagate 120GB HD0 + HD1 8MB cache and HD2 have 2MB cache.
Two (HD0 + HD1 8MB cache) connected to first IDE-port (Intel)
with cable select. The third (HD2 2MB cache) connected to the
Promise controller also with cable select.
The "problem" is that the two disks connected to the Intel
controller only use Ultra DMA-2 and the third connected
to the Promise controller use Ultra DMA-5 !
That is what DTemp report from S.M.A.R.T.
Se details here
http://w1.857.telia.com/~u85704001/dma/

How to change to Ultra DMA-5 for my first two drives?
I use Windows 2000 professional.
22 answers Last reply
More about ultra
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 15:51:47 +0200 There I was minding my own business
    and then Ken <___ken3@telia.com> wrote :

    >I have three HDs in my computer ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe.
    >All Seagate 120GB HD0 + HD1 8MB cache and HD2 have 2MB cache.
    >Two (HD0 + HD1 8MB cache) connected to first IDE-port (Intel)
    >with cable select. The third (HD2 2MB cache) connected to the
    >Promise controller also with cable select.
    >The "problem" is that the two disks connected to the Intel
    >controller only use Ultra DMA-2 and the third connected
    >to the Promise controller use Ultra DMA-5 !
    >That is what DTemp report from S.M.A.R.T.
    >Se details here
    >http://w1.857.telia.com/~u85704001/dma/
    >
    >How to change to Ultra DMA-5 for my first two drives?
    >I use Windows 2000 professional.

    Can you change their DMA in the Device Manager?

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    remove obvious to reply

    If the asus mb is only mode 4 capable and you use mode 5 drives then it may
    be defaulting to the lower mode 2

    in this case you need the hard drive utility from seagate to let you report
    the mode 5 drives as mode 4 to the bios!

    if it IS the case that your mb IS mode 5 capapble then the utility still
    might solve the problem

    "Ken" <___ken3@telia.com> wrote in message

    > I have three HDs in my computer ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe.
    > All Seagate 120GB HD0 + HD1 8MB cache and HD2 have 2MB cache.
    > Two (HD0 + HD1 8MB cache) connected to first IDE-port (Intel)
    > with cable select. The third (HD2 2MB cache) connected to the
    > Promise controller also with cable select.
    > The "problem" is that the two disks connected to the Intel
    > controller only use Ultra DMA-2 and the third connected
    > to the Promise controller use Ultra DMA-5 !
    > That is what DTemp report from S.M.A.R.T.
    > Se details here
    > http://w1.857.telia.com/~u85704001/dma/
    >
    > How to change to Ultra DMA-5 for my first two drives?
    > I use Windows 2000 professional.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Just thought of something else

    You ARE using 80 wire ide cables arent you?

    40 wire cables will only allow you to run at ata33 (mode 2)

    "Ken" <___ken3@telia.com> wrote in message

    > I have three HDs in my computer ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe.
    > All Seagate 120GB HD0 + HD1 8MB cache and HD2 have 2MB cache.
    > Two (HD0 + HD1 8MB cache) connected to first IDE-port (Intel)
    > with cable select. The third (HD2 2MB cache) connected to the
    > Promise controller also with cable select.
    > The "problem" is that the two disks connected to the Intel
    > controller only use Ultra DMA-2 and the third connected
    > to the Promise controller use Ultra DMA-5 !
    > That is what DTemp report from S.M.A.R.T.
    > Se details here
    > http://w1.857.telia.com/~u85704001/dma/
    >
    > How to change to Ultra DMA-5 for my first two drives?
    > I use Windows 2000 professional.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 15:31:25 +0100, Shep© <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

    >> I have three HDs in my computer ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe.
    >> All Seagate 120GB HD0 + HD1 8MB cache and HD2 have 2MB cache.
    >> Two (HD0 + HD1 8MB cache) connected to first IDE-port (Intel)
    >> with cable select. The third (HD2 2MB cache) connected to the
    >> Promise controller also with cable select.
    >> The "problem" is that the two disks connected to the Intel
    >> controller only use Ultra DMA-2 and the third connected
    >> to the Promise controller use Ultra DMA-5 !
    >> That is what DTemp report from S.M.A.R.T.
    >> Se details here
    >> http://w1.857.telia.com/~u85704001/dma/
    >>
    >> How to change to Ultra DMA-5 for my first two drives?
    >> I use Windows 2000 professional.
    >
    > Can you change their DMA in the Device Manager?

    I can change between PIO or Ultra DMA, but not the level of DMA.
    Maybe I don't know where or how to change DMA level (0-5).

    Here image from Device Manager Swedish version :-)
    http://w1.857.telia.com/~u85704001/dma/
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 15:36:57 +0000 (UTC), "Lazarus"
    <lazzyspad@theranch.com> wrote:

    > Just thought of something else
    > You ARE using 80 wire ide cables arent you?

    Yes. I even tried the working cable from my disk
    that are in UDMA 5 mode now.
    I'm going to interhange the disks and try every combibnations.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:53:21 +0200, Ken <___ken3@telia.com> wrote:

    >> Just thought of something else
    >> You ARE using 80 wire ide cables arent you?
    >
    > Yes. I even tried the working cable from my disk
    > that are in UDMA 5 mode now.
    > I'm going to interchange the disks and try every combinations.

    Now it's done. All 3 disk and both cables can do UDMA 5.
    The problem is in the software or the primary IDE port.
    I don't know where to search.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html

    > On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:53:21 +0200, Ken <___ken3@telia.com> wrote:
    >
    > >> Just thought of something else
    > >> You ARE using 80 wire ide cables arent you?
    > >
    > > Yes. I even tried the working cable from my disk
    > > that are in UDMA 5 mode now.
    > > I'm going to interchange the disks and try every combinations.
    >
    > Now it's done. All 3 disk and both cables can do UDMA 5.
    > The problem is in the software or the primary IDE port.
    > I don't know where to search.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    WD DLG which is WD's diagnostic. You might have to change
    the firmware to the UDMA that matches your ports. Use the
    bootable floppy from WD.

    "Ken" <___ken3@telia.com> wrote in message

    | I have three HDs in my computer ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe.
    | All Seagate 120GB HD0 + HD1 8MB cache and HD2 have 2MB cache.
    | Two (HD0 + HD1 8MB cache) connected to first IDE-port (Intel)
    | with cable select. The third (HD2 2MB cache) connected to the
    | Promise controller also with cable select.
    | The "problem" is that the two disks connected to the Intel
    | controller only use Ultra DMA-2 and the third connected
    | to the Promise controller use Ultra DMA-5 !
    | That is what DTemp report from S.M.A.R.T.
    | Se details here
    | http://w1.857.telia.com/~u85704001/dma/
    |
    | How to change to Ultra DMA-5 for my first two drives?
    | I use Windows 2000 professional.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:54:14 +0000 (UTC), "Lazarus"

    >>> Yes. I even tried the working cable from my disk
    >>> that are in UDMA 5 mode now.
    >>> I'm going to interchange the disks and try every combinations.
    >>
    >> Now it's done. All 3 disk and both cables can do UDMA 5.
    >> The problem is in the software or the primary IDE port.
    >> I don't know where to search.
    >

    > http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html

    It's an installation for drives and does not seems work only
    for change from UDMA 2 to UDMA 5 on an existing working drive.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    In BIOS, try changing the mode from enhanced to compatible for your IDE
    devices.

    >>> Now it's done. All 3 disk and both cables can do UDMA 5.
    >>> The problem is in the software or the primary IDE port.
    >>> I don't know where to search.
    >>

    >> http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html
    >

    > It's an installation for drives and does not seems work only
    > for change from UDMA 2 to UDMA 5 on an existing working drive.

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Ken" <___ken3@telia.com> wrote in message

    > >> Now it's done. All 3 disk and both cables can do UDMA 5.
    > >> The problem is in the software or the primary IDE port.
    > >> I don't know where to search.
    > >

    > > http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html
    >

    > It's an installation for drives and does not seems work only
    > for change from UDMA 2 to UDMA 5 on an existing working drive.

    Isnt that what you want to do? Change your mode 2 drives to mode 5?

    I thought your 2 drives were working and it was just the fact that they were
    in mode 2 and you wanted them in mode 5?

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:37:51 +0200, Spajky <Spajky##@volja.net> wrote:

    > On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:57:01 +0200, Ken <___ken3@telia.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Now it's done. All 3 disk and both cables can do UDMA 5.
    >> The problem is in the software or the primary IDE port.
    >> I don't know where to search.
    >
    > To compare with others you can go to my site under comp/bench & there
    > you have also Sandra2001pro (stripped) DL to bench your HD setup to
    > get that index (you can see my bench of my old drive there too). Than
    > TELL me here the result in points you have got; I am very interested
    > in this result ; please do it for me .. :-) Thanks! (do that w/o any
    > background applications running if possible)...

    Buffered read and write are a lot faster on the Promise controller!
    The 8 MB cache make the drive a little faster.

    > If all 3 HDs are same capacity & RPMs what are index bench results;
    > just curious to see real life differences between UDMA modes
    > on those 3 HDs ...

    Yes all 3 drives are this:
    HD1 Seagate Barracuda V 7200rpm, 120GB, 8MB cache.
    HD2 Seagate Barracuda V 7200rpm, 120GB, 8MB cache.
    HD3 Seagate Barracuda V 7200rpm, 120GB, 2MB cache.

    -------------------------------
    The first results is like this:

    IDE master IDE slave IDE (one drive present)
    Intel ICH5R Intel ICH5R Promise 378
    HD1 8MB HD2 8MB HD3 2MB

    30 MB/s 30 MB/s 1200 MB/s Buffered read
    27 MB/s 29 MB/s 36 MB/s Sequential read
    5 MB/s 7 MB/s 6 MB/s Random read
    30 MB/s 30 MB/s 1240 MB/s Buffered write
    29 MB/s 29 MB/s 35 MB/s Sequential write
    8 MB/s 7 MB/s 8 MB/s Random write
    9 ms 8 ms 9 ms Average access time

    -------------------------------
    When swap HD2 and HD3:

    IDE master IDE slave IDE (one drive present)
    Intel ICH5R Intel ICH5R Promise 378
    HD1 8MB HD3 2MB HD2 8MB

    30 MB/s 30 MB/s 1550 MB/s Buffered read
    27 MB/s 28 MB/s 38 MB/s Sequential read
    5 MB/s 6 MB/s 7 MB/s Random read
    30 MB/s 30 MB/s 1740 MB/s Buffered write
    29 MB/s 29 MB/s 37 MB/s Sequential write
    8 MB/s 7 MB/s 8 MB/s Random write
    9 ms 9 ms 8 ms Average access time

    I made 2 test runs on every combination.
    There was minor differences.

    -------------------------
    My computer:
    ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
    Intel Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2 GHz
    1024 MB ECC memory (2x512)
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:39:54 +0000 (UTC), "Lazarus"
    <lazzyspad@theranch.com> wrote:

    >>> http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html
    >>

    >> It's an installation for drives and does not seems work only
    >> for change from UDMA 2 to UDMA 5 on an existing working drive.
    >

    > Isnt that what you want to do? Change your mode 2 drives to mode 5?
    >
    > I thought your 2 drives were working and it was just the fact
    > that they were in mode 2 and you wanted them in mode 5?

    Yes, but that program from Seagate can't do that.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    are you 100% sure that the ide cable is connected with the blue end in the
    m/board?
    few have found that if it's the wrong way then the attached drives run in
    udma2.
    cheers

    "Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
    > WD DLG which is WD's diagnostic. You might have to change
    > the firmware to the UDMA that matches your ports. Use the
    > bootable floppy from WD.
    >
    > "Ken" <___ken3@telia.com> wrote in message
    > |
    > | I have three HDs in my computer ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe.
    > | All Seagate 120GB HD0 + HD1 8MB cache and HD2 have 2MB cache.
    > | Two (HD0 + HD1 8MB cache) connected to first IDE-port (Intel)
    > | with cable select. The third (HD2 2MB cache) connected to the
    > | Promise controller also with cable select.
    > | The "problem" is that the two disks connected to the Intel
    > | controller only use Ultra DMA-2 and the third connected
    > | to the Promise controller use Ultra DMA-5 !
    > | That is what DTemp report from S.M.A.R.T.
    > | Se details here
    > | http://w1.857.telia.com/~u85704001/dma/
    > |
    > | How to change to Ultra DMA-5 for my first two drives?
    > | I use Windows 2000 professional.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    When I make changes in BIOS to "comatibility mode"
    the Intel ICH5R change to Ultra DMA 5 for Primary IDE !
    (but then the secondary IDE don't work and my CD unit is unusable)
    I think all this this is att BIOS problem.

    New tests:

    All 3 drives are this:
    HD1 Seagate Barracuda V 7200rpm, 120GB, 8MB cache.
    HD2 Seagate Barracuda V 7200rpm, 120GB, 8MB cache.
    HD3 Seagate Barracuda V 7200rpm, 120GB, 2MB cache.

    -------------------------------
    The results is like this with UDMA5 on all ports.

    Primary Primary Extra IDE port
    IDE master IDE slave IDE (one drive present)
    Intel ICH5R Intel ICH5R Promise 378
    HD1 8MB HD2 8MB HD3 2MB

    84 MB/s 82 MB/s 1633 MB/s Buffered read
    37 MB/s 37 MB/s 36 MB/s Sequential read
    6 MB/s 7 MB/s 6 MB/s Random read
    72 MB/s 73 MB/s 1699 MB/s Buffered write
    37 MB/s 37 MB/s 35 MB/s Sequential write
    8 MB/s 7 MB/s 8 MB/s Random write
    9 ms 8 ms 9 ms Average access time

    -------------------------------
    When swap HD2 and HD3:

    Primary Primary Extra IDE port
    IDE master IDE slave IDE (one drive present)
    Intel ICH5R Intel ICH5R Promise 378
    HD1 8MB HD3 2MB HD2 8MB

    84 MB/s 75 MB/s 1762 MB/s Buffered read
    37 MB/s 36 MB/s 38 MB/s Sequential read
    6 MB/s 6 MB/s 7 MB/s Random read
    72 MB/s 66 MB/s 1636 MB/s Buffered write
    37 MB/s 36 MB/s 37 MB/s Sequential write
    8 MB/s 6 MB/s 8 MB/s Random write
    9 ms 9 ms 8 ms Average access time

    -------------------------
    My computer:
    ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
    Intel Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2 GHz
    1024 MB ECC memory (2x512)
    The Promise controller are on the motherboard.
    BIOS version 1016
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:29:08 -0000, "Ayoub" <she1@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > are you 100% sure that the ide cable is connected with the blue end
    > in the m/board?

    Yes.

    > few have found that if it's the wrong way then the attached drives
    > run in udma2.
    > cheers

    If I change to "compatibility mode" in BIOS it work with UDMA5
    for my both drives on the primary IDE channel, but then my
    CD player on secondary IDE channel disappear.
    I think this is a problem in BIOS.
    I'm going to flash a newer BIOS version some day.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Ken If you are using the ide controller from Intel, try to remove it and
    install the standard ide controller provided from M$. See if that has any
    effect.

    Regards, Bob Troll
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:58:06 GMT, "Bob Troll" <fluffy@farmyard.com>
    wrote:

    > Ken If you are using the ide controller from Intel, try to remove it
    > and install the standard ide controller provided from M$.
    > See if that has any effect.

    Thanks. I would try every tips (but it would take time).
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 12:30:46 +0100, tom <tom@gmx.de> wrote:

    >>> Ken If you are using the ide controller from Intel, try to remove it
    >>> and install the standard ide controller provided from M$.
    >>> See if that has any effect.
    >>
    >> Thanks. I would try every tips (but it would take time).
    >
    > If u have more than 1 device per ide channel u cant have dma 5.
    > Its as simple as that.

    I don't think that's right.
    Yes I have 2 identical devices on the same IDE cable.
    With only 1 device I also only get UDMA2.
    If I configure BIOS for "compatibility mode" i got UDMA5
    with both devices connected, how do you explain that?
    UDMA5 with 2 hard disk on the same cable works!

    > Ide is restricted in many ways, but its cheap.
    > I can only guess that another controller might help you best here.
    > Anything else is just a waste of time.

    No I don't think so. I have some BIOS problem or driver problem
    with my old Windows 2000.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    wrote:

    >Ken If you are using the ide controller from Intel, try to remove it and
    >install the standard ide controller provided from M$. See if that has any
    >effect.

    If UDMA5 = DMA 133 it won't work as the MS driver does not support
    that mode.

    Cheers,

    Guy

    "If you want to find out what is wrong
    with democracy, spend five minutes with
    the average voter." - Winston Churchill
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 11:00:13 +0000, Dr Teeth
    <no_email_here_please@tardis.com> wrote:

    >> Ken If you are using the ide controller from Intel, try to remove
    >> it and install the standard ide controller provided from M$.
    >> See if that has any effect.
    >
    > If UDMA5 = DMA 133 it won't work as the MS driver does not
    > support that mode.

    It works if I use "compatibility mode" in BIOS and therefore
    the driver would be OK. (I wait i while to flash to new BIOS)

    http://www.bay-wolf.com/harddrive.htm

    Ultra DMA Mode 6 133 MB/s
    Ultra DMA Mode 5 100 MB/s
    Ultra DMA Mode 4 66 MB/s
    Ultra DMA Mode 3 44 MB/s
    Ultra DMA Mode 2 33 MB/s
    Ultra DMA Mode 1 25 MB/s
    Ultra DMA Mode 0 16 MB/s
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Dr Teeth wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:58:06 GMT, "Bob Troll" <fluffy@farmyard.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Ken If you are using the ide controller from Intel, try to remove it and
    >>install the standard ide controller provided from M$. See if that has any
    >>effect.
    >

    > If UDMA5 = DMA 133 it won't work as the MS driver does not support
    > that mode.

    UDMA5 = ATA100
    UDMA6 = ATA133

    > Cheers,
    >
    > Guy
    >
    > "If you want to find out what is wrong
    > with democracy, spend five minutes with
    > the average voter." - Winston Churchill

    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
    of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
    people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

Asus DMA Controller Cache Motherboards