Graphics card not being recognized

redgamma

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
I went on another forum to fix a blue screen that was happening to me, and some one told me to use driver sweeper to wipe my graphics card drivers and reinstall new ones. Im not sure if I did this right, I didnt go into safe mode or anything, and now my graphics card isnt being recognized, only my onboard. and by recognized, I mean on the device manager. I tried installing drivers, but with no luck.

My specs are:

AMD phenom x6
ATI Radeon HD 6870
Asus M4A88TD-V Mobo
Windows 7 Professional (x64)
4GB Ram ddr (2 x 2 sticks)

Any help is appreciated. Post any ideas, and I will see them tomorrow and try them out, thanks

w7pro

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
There's a couple things that you could try out, that I could suggest such as trying doing a system restore and see if your graphics card drivers will roll back as well. The other thing is to do a Windows Update and see if the drivers will update/install along with everything else.

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team

Go into your BIOS Setup and report back here what the value of Primary Video Controller is set to:

M4A88TD-V EVO BIOS Setup --> Advanced --> Chipset --> Internal Graphics --> Primary Video Controller

Which of the four configuration options is chosen?

[GFX0-GPP-IGFX-PCI]
[GPP-GFX0-IGFX-PCI]
[PCI-GFX0-GPP-IGFX]
[IGFX-GFX0-GPP-PCI]

GFX0 = GPU in PPCIEX16_1 Slot
GPP = GPU in PPCIEX16_2 Slot
IGFX = Integrated ATI Radeon HD 4250 GPU
PCI = GPU in a PCI Slot

What is the Internal Graphics Mode setting's value?
[Disabled] <-- will disable the Integrated ATI Radeon HD 4250 GPU

redgamma

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
I do not have AMD chipset Driver I dont think, and i selected update driver with use internet but it was up to date, so I dont think the chipset is recognizing my graphics card as what it is, so would that be solved by chipset drivers? anyways, downloading them now.

redgamma

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
I tried installing them, before it even did anything my computer blue screened, do i need to uninstall any drivers or go into safe mode? Also, the folder is set up like this :

Folder called 'Vista'
Folder called 'XP'
AsusSetup.exe
Asussetup.ini

I clicked on AsusSetup.exe, do I need to go into Vista and run the exes in there?

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

I really think at this point it would be wise for you to get out your Win7 disk and run the System File Checker to make sure you don't have something borked in your operating system as you were having blue screen issues when this all began.

system file checker

At least if this is done you know your operating system files are OK.

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

You don't really need to put in the disk unless the scan finds errors and asks you for it.

Just go to your start button and click on it then in the search bar that you see just above it type in "com" and you will see one of the program options that are offered is "command prompt" so click on it and you'll have a DOS window in front of you.

Now just type in sfc /scannow and hit "enter".

It will take a few minutes but will scan all your system files and make sure that none of them are damaged.

If the disk is needed you will be asked for it.

redgamma

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Ok, I ran the sfc. It apparently has found some errors.
It says,

Verification 0%
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

It didnt ask me to put the disk in, thats all it said. So, it IS my windows 7 files?

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

Yes if it found corrupt files in your system files then that could very easily explain your problems.

If it were me I'd back up any important documents and consider doing a repair installation of Win7 as it seems it's messed up enough to not allow an easy fix.

There's a guide on how to do it HERE.

redgamma

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Im not too concerned about what gets saved, i can put my games on my partition, so would completely reinstalling windows 7 be better? Im going to take out my graphics card, run off integrated, and do repair installation / complete installation. Because, when i built my computer, i didnt turn it on before putting graphics card in.

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

In my opinion if you don't have anything to lose then for certain a clean installation is the best choice because that way everything will be new and fresh.

Definitely make sure your graphics card is installed and seated properly as well as having all the necessary power connections then go for it.

Make sure you also have your motherboard driver CD as a clean installation means starting over from scratch with everything.

You'll have to install stuff like your chipset drivers, audio drivers, video, LAN, etc.

On the bright side it should take care of any of the issues you had.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

Easy enough to check the RAM just switch the sticks.

You can also download MemTest and use it to test your memory.