P4C800E-Deluxe run without I/O backplate?

My sealed-box P4C800E-Deluxe, bought at a computer fair, contained the
wrong I/O backplate. The cut-out holes don't align with the board I/O
jacks. I'm impatient to check the board out while awaiting the
replacement part from Asus Tech (slow boat from China?). Can I run the
board in the meantime without the the plate?

My concern is that the board grounding would be substantially impaired
if I don't have the contact between the I/O jacks and the springy
retainer tabs on the inside of the backplate . If it matters, the case
is an Antec P160 with True Power 480W. Thanks.

Tom
remove 'spamjam' for real address

Paul

Splendid

Tom McCreadie wrote:
> My sealed-box P4C800E-Deluxe, bought at a computer fair, contained the
> wrong I/O backplate. The cut-out holes don't align with the board I/O
> jacks. I'm impatient to check the board out while awaiting the
> replacement part from Asus Tech (slow boat from China?). Can I run the
> board in the meantime without the the plate?
>
> My concern is that the board grounding would be substantially impaired
> if I don't have the contact between the I/O jacks and the springy
> retainer tabs on the inside of the backplate . If it matters, the case
> is an Antec P160 with True Power 480W. Thanks.
>
> Tom
> remove 'spamjam' for real address

I am writing this reply from an A7N8X-E Deluxe sitting on top of my
table, with no computer case, PSU plugged in, monitor plugged in,
audio cable running to stereo (no hum evident). I would say from
an audio perspective, the grounding is making no difference.

The purpose of the spring contacts and plate, is to enhance EMI
containment. The conductors on a motherboard and the wires on
headers etc., tend to work like antennas, and the I/O signals
are full of garbage when they get to the back of the computer.
The grounded connector bodies, is an attempt to provide a path
to ground for some of this noise, especially if the connectors
themselves have feedthru caps.

The main ground path, is through the black ground wires on the
ATX PSU, and the third prong (ground pin) on the AC cord. That
establishes the motherboard outputs with respect to the same
ground that other appliances are using.

Fire it up and enjoy it. But, keep in mind, that the electrical
noise from an open case, can interfere with other communications
devices, so if you notice excessive interference with broadcast
TV signals, for example, then improving the case grounding by using
the correct I/O plate, could help a bit.

There is at least one seller on Ebay, who carries I/O plates and
also the whole bag of accessories that come with Asus motherboards.
In some countries, I think it is also possible to contact Asus and
order a replacement accessories kit, which will include the I/O plate,
all cables, CDROM, manual etc.

One interference path which is hard to correct, is the PSU and
AC line cord. I've noticed some PSUs let noise from the computer
leak down the power cable, and a filter is supposed to be installed
inside the PSU to prevent this. You can get some AC power bars,
that have interference filters inside, and they can help. But the
price of one of those AC power bars, is usually as much as the
cost of the power supply.

HTH,
Paul

"Tom McCreadie" <mccreadi@spamjam.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> My sealed-box P4C800E-Deluxe, bought at a computer fair, contained the
> wrong I/O backplate. The cut-out holes don't align with the board I/O
> jacks. I'm impatient to check the board out while awaiting the
> replacement part from Asus Tech (slow boat from China?). Can I run the
> board in the meantime without the the plate?
>
> My concern is that the board grounding would be substantially impaired
> if I don't have the contact between the I/O jacks and the springy
> retainer tabs on the inside of the backplate . If it matters, the case
> is an Antec P160 with True Power 480W. Thanks.
>
> Tom
> remove 'spamjam' for real address

For a long time, I did not use the I/O back-plate.

I also have one PC on top of a high stacks of books, running Linux,
without computer case, like in Paul's case, CD drive and hard disks are
lying
on several plastic boards here and there.

A mess, but it works. Until I can find a place for it.

Thanks Paul, and Sedon too, I really appreciate the effort you took to
give a thorough and informative explanation. As the Irish (not me)
would say about such kind deeds: "When you pass away, may you have a
week in Heaven before the Devil comes to claim you" <g>
Tom

"Tom McCreadie" wrote
[snip]
> My sealed-box P4C800E-Deluxe, bought at a computer fair, contained the
> wrong I/O backplate. Can I run theboard in the meantime without the the
> plate?

Hi,

yes you can. Thats exactly what I'm doing now. I bought the P4C800-E
deluxe second hand and it came *Bare-Bone*. It actually looks quite good
without a back plate and maybe helps to keep the PWMs cool!.

Wayne ][