Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I have been experiencing problems with my computer for a
while, but the latest is most baffling as the computer is
telling me it can't find rundll32.exe which is required to
open programmes in the control panel. I've done a search
but it doesn't seem to be 'hiding' anywhere.
Can anyone tell me what I need to restore rundll32.exe to
my computer or am I going to have to take it to the PC
hospital?

Chris

"Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:25aa501c460e5
$7c2e1a70$a501280a@phx.gbl:

> I have been experiencing problems with my computer for a
> while, but the latest is most baffling as the computer is
> telling me it can't find rundll32.exe which is required to
> open programmes in the control panel. I've done a search
> but it doesn't seem to be 'hiding' anywhere.
> Can anyone tell me what I need to restore rundll32.exe to
> my computer or am I going to have to take it to the PC
> hospital?
>
> Chris

almost sounds like a Virus. One that changes the "L" to a capital "i". Scan
your systems and you may want to go to the run section in your registry
editor and look for that file. Try a Virus SDcvan first iif you can locally.
If not and you can get on the web, then go to housecall.antivirus.com

Rundll32.exe is a core system file. It will be hidden from searches
unless you include hidden and system files in the search. rundll32.exe
is not a virus (normally), but it is possible for a virus to overwrite
it with it's own version. What you can do is type
C:\Windows\System32\dllcache into Windows Explorer (not Internet
Explorer), scroll down to rundll32.exe, copy it, go up one directory to
C:\Windows\Sytem32\, rename rundll32.exe to rundll32.old, then paste
rundll32.exe from dllcache into the system32 folder ;)

Nathan McNulty

Chris Chandler wrote:

> "Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:25aa501c460e5
> $7c2e1a70$a501280a@phx.gbl:
>

>>I have been experiencing problems with my computer for a
>>while, but the latest is most baffling as the computer is
>>telling me it can't find rundll32.exe which is required to
>>open programmes in the control panel. I've done a search
>>but it doesn't seem to be 'hiding' anywhere.
>>Can anyone tell me what I need to restore rundll32.exe to
>>my computer or am I going to have to take it to the PC
>>hospital?
>>
>>Chris
>>

> almost sounds like a Virus. One that changes the "L" to a capital "i". Scan
> your systems and you may want to go to the run section in your registry
> editor and look for that file. Try a Virus SDcvan first iif you can locally.
> If not and you can get on the web, then go to housecall.antivirus.com

TRENDING THREADS