advice on a new motherboard

Hi all,
I built my last system 3 years ago and am out of touch with modern tech
jargon (sata etc)
I need advice on a new motherboard to replace my ageing asus a7v133 with a
1.2 g athlon
I have four ide hdds fitted (not raid configured) and a cd rewriter.
I would like to keep my 4 drives, two contain data.
Can anyone advise me on any board that might meet my requirements.
I am looking for something that will take a 3G P4
Onboard sound, firewire, plenty of USB sockets would be acceptable.
regards Peter

Paul

Splendid

In article <cm30rs$8k$1@titan.btinternet.com>, "grylion"
<grylion@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I built my last system 3 years ago and am out of touch with modern tech
> jargon (sata etc)
> I need advice on a new motherboard to replace my ageing asus a7v133 with a
> 1.2 g athlon
> I have four ide hdds fitted (not raid configured) and a cd rewriter.
> I would like to keep my 4 drives, two contain data.
> Can anyone advise me on any board that might meet my requirements.
> I am looking for something that will take a 3G P4
> Onboard sound, firewire, plenty of USB sockets would be acceptable.
> regards Peter

There are many boards listed on the Asus web site that meet those
requirements. The tricky part, is the storage requirement. Generally,
Southbridges are straight forward, in terms of characteristics, but
the separate chips provided to extend the number of storage interfaces,
have to be carefully studied, as their characteristics are not
documented very well. Fortunately, for example, the manuals of the
boards, happen to mention that ATAPI is not supported on the Promise
20378 chip, so at least you know the CDRW won't work on there. It can
always be run from the Southbridge IDE interfaces.

The least hassle, might be buying a motherboard, and slapping a
separate PCI IDE controller into the motherboard, for any extra disks
you happen to have. That way, you can shop for a PCI card, where all
the characteristics are known, and that will make the machine easier
to configure.

As your A7V133 uses SDRAM, you'll have to upgrade the RAM to use the
new boards. To be able to reuse your SDRAM again, you might need
something like an old P4B motherboard. Last year's boards use DDR
memory, and some but not all of the latest 915/925 boards, use DDR2
memory. Memory can be an expensive part of upgrading, so you may
want to price those two kinds of memory, to see whether they are
in your budget range. As for type, I would think for DDR, some
PC3200 CAS3 would be acceptable, while for DDR2, some DDR2-533 memory
would give equal performance to the PC3200. You can take the model
number of the motherboard over to Crucial.com, and search for the
motherboard there, and their search engine will show you some
compatible product. Buy a matched pair of DIMMs, to take advantage
of dual channel memory access. (I.e. If you need 512MB of RAM, buy
two 256MB sticks of the same type and speed.)

If you are overclocking, I would buy an 875 based board. If running
at stock speed, I would get an 865 or an 875. Both of those use the
cheaper DDR memory. If you want a microATX board, the P4P800-VM is
one of the few Asus microATX boards that has a decent BIOS. It uses
an 865GE with build in graphics (good enough for office apps, but not
for heavy gaming - no microATX is good for heavy gaming via built-in
graphics in the Northbridge - you need a video card for that).

In non-Intel chipset boards, the P4S800D-E comes recommended. The
people who have bought them, don't seem to have problems with them.
Personally, I wouldn't touch a P4Rxxx ATI chipset board - maybe on
their next chipset, they'll get the details right.

One issue with many Asus boards, is the built-in peripherals are
seldom the chips that people would pick if they had a choice. For
example, you'll find Via Firewire chips on some of the boards, and
people who use their Firewire interfaces a lot, would probably want
a non-Via chip for that. If you buy one of these boards, be
prepared to have to buy a separate PCI card with the function you
want on it, in case the built-in one doesn't meet with your
expectations.

The storage chips, usually have some gotchas, and that is why sometimes
it is better for your piece of mind, to get a PCI card to replace
that function. Personally, if doing a RAID, I would rather shop for
a two port IDE RAID card, then be stuck with the Promise 20378 mixture
of IDE and SATA.

In short, it is pretty hard to recommend any board, when it comes to
all the tiny details. I am pretty happy with my P4C800-E, but don't
own any SATA drives, so I cannot tell you everything you need to know
about the 20378.

Asus does provide a comparison chart, but if I was the boss at Asus,
I would fire the employee who prepared it. It is riddled with errors,
and does not include details of the storage interfaces on each board.
This makes the shopping job that much harder.

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/overview_p4.htm

HTH,
Paul

Thanks for the detailed information.
I intend stripping my a7v133 ,cpu ,ram,and graphics card out of my "big box"
and setting up a new system for my wife with one of the old hdds in a new
smaller box. And rebuilding with a new psu.

As an example, how many ide devices would a P4C800-E be able to accommodate
without adding an extra card.
Perhaps later on I could add sata drive if needed.
I had been looking at the spec of that particular board, but as I said
earlier I am out of touch with modern stuff.
I will not be doing any fast gaming but some video editing and office work.
thanks again Peter