Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse & XP Home Problem

Hi,

I just got a Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse, and
plugged it into my Toshiba Satellite 1400-103 running XP
Home + SP1 + latest critical updates. Unfortunately, at
the end of the hardware detection step, XP throws up the
following error and the mouse doesn't work.

-----
There was a problem installing this hardware:
HIDClass
An error occurred during the installation of the device:

The driver installation file for this device is missing a
necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written
for Windows 95 or later. Content your hardware vendor.
-----

The mouse is a replacement for a Logitech mouse which I
got a couple of days back, and that too failed to work
with a similar error.

I have tried restoring the original input.inf from the
installation directory, but that didn't help, so I have
put back whatever was the latest... Any ideas?

I returned the Logitech mouse thinking it was not XP
compatible because it didn't have the "Designed for XP"
logo on it. However, the Microsoft mouse has that logo
and it is still not working.

The same mouse works perfectly with another Toshiba
laptop running 2000 Professional.

Thanks
Abhik.
2 answers Last reply
More about microsoft notebook optical mouse home problem
  1. I too am having the same problem. Can anybody help. :heink:

    If so, email me at dgfwebmail@cox.net.

    Thank you
  2. If it's a usb mouse, uninstall the root hubs in the device manager, then restart.

Hardware Mice Microsoft Windows XP