P4C800-E - Can't get S3 Standby to work?

Hi,

I have been testing out allot of the functions on the P4C800-E deluxe, and
on the whole its a nice board. However I can't get it to *resume* from S3
standby?. It goes to sleep nicely, the LED flashes onn/off on my case
front, but when I push the power button on the case, it tries to load up but
my harddisk (7K250) just makes a funny noise and I get the BSOD?

I should have tested this before I installed SP/2, so I am not sure if it
ever worked?

Its all decent kit, CPu is a Northwood 2.6GHz, Ballistix memory, NEO-Power
480w, Hitachi 7K250. I don't see what the error is?

BIOS version is 1016

Thanks for any pointers :)

Wayne ][
6 answers Last reply
More about p4c800 standby work

    In article <41859201_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, "Wayne Youngman"
    <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been testing out allot of the functions on the P4C800-E deluxe, and
    > on the whole its a nice board. However I can't get it to *resume* from S3
    > standby?. It goes to sleep nicely, the LED flashes onn/off on my case
    > front, but when I push the power button on the case, it tries to load up but
    > my harddisk (7K250) just makes a funny noise and I get the BSOD?
    >
    > I should have tested this before I installed SP/2, so I am not sure if it
    > ever worked?
    >
    > Its all decent kit, CPu is a Northwood 2.6GHz, Ballistix memory, NEO-Power
    > 480w, Hitachi 7K250. I don't see what the error is?
    >
    > BIOS version is 1016
    >
    > Thanks for any pointers :)
    >
    > Wayne ][

    The 1017 BIOS (that seems to have been pulled), added a change
    for a Hitachi drive. People had noticed problems with the
    Hitachi drive, and 1017 was the first BIOS to fix it.
    Of course, when a BIOS gets pulled, the release notes go
    with it, into the garbage.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=nospam-1308042213450001%40192.168.1.177

    I would try upgrading to 1017 or later, because there really
    isn't much else you can do.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Wayne--you got my curiosity up about my new computer build that is based
    upon the same motherboard (am using RAID 0 with paired Raptors) and hit the
    "sleep" button on the keyboard and it worked great--the power light on the
    case blinked after the computer went to sleep and it work back up to this
    posting right after I hit the power button. I am running SP-2, but have not
    configured anything special for this function--thus have no suggestions.

    What advantage is putting a computer to sleep?? Instead of shutting off the
    computer at night and starting it up cold, would it be better to put it to
    sleep and wake it back up??

    Good luck

    MikeSp

    "Wayne Youngman" <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been testing out allot of the functions on the P4C800-E deluxe, and
    > on the whole its a nice board. However I can't get it to *resume* from S3
    > standby?. It goes to sleep nicely, the LED flashes onn/off on my case
    > front, but when I push the power button on the case, it tries to load up
    > but my harddisk (7K250) just makes a funny noise and I get the BSOD?
    >
    > I should have tested this before I installed SP/2, so I am not sure if it
    > ever worked?
    >
    > Its all decent kit, CPu is a Northwood 2.6GHz, Ballistix memory, NEO-Power
    > 480w, Hitachi 7K250. I don't see what the error is?
    >
    > BIOS version is 1016
    >
    > Thanks for any pointers :)
    >
    > Wayne ][

    "Paul" wrote
    > I would try upgrading to 1017 or later, because there really
    > isn't much else you can do.

    Hi,

    thanks for reply. A BIOS update may be the thing to solve it, but I noticed
    it mentions the 7K400 drives, while I am using the 7K250. The system detects
    the drive and boots fine normally, just when resuming from S3 standby, it
    click, click, clonks and BSOD.

    Does S3 Standby work for you?

    Wayne ][

    In article <41865e9d$1_4@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, "Wayne Youngman"
    <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

    > "Paul" wrote
    > > I would try upgrading to 1017 or later, because there really
    > > isn't much else you can do.
    >

    > Hi,
    >
    > thanks for reply. A BIOS update may be the thing to solve it, but I noticed
    > it mentions the 7K400 drives, while I am using the 7K250. The system detects
    > the drive and boots fine normally, just when resuming from S3 standby, it
    > click, click, clonks and BSOD.
    >
    > Does S3 Standby work for you?
    >
    > Wayne ][

    I don't own a Hitachi drive. This is based on posts about problems
    with Hitachi drives in the past. Asus and Hitachi/IBM got into a
    finger pointing exercise, and it took a while before any kind of
    BIOS fix showed up. All you can do is try a BIOS upgrade.

    HTH,
    Paul

    "Michael S." wrote
    > What advantage is putting a computer to sleep?? Instead of shutting off
    > the computer at night and starting it up cold, would it be better to put
    > it to sleep and wake it back up??

    Hi,

    sounds like you were using *S3* standby, also known as *Suspend-To-Ram*.
    Basically just keeps a snap-shot of your system and stores it in ram, then
    powers down your system but keep the current flowing to RAM. Wakes up very
    fast.

    There is also Hibernate, where it does the same thing except writes the info
    to hard-disk.

    Hmm so I wonder what is causing my problem then?

    Wayne ][

    I had this same problem with not being able to resume from suspend. It
    turned out to be a compatability problem between the system board and the
    Hitachi hard drive. After I installed bios level 1017 things started to work
    OK. I am currently at bios level 1018 but will be installing 1019 very soon.
    Hope this helps.

    > "Michael S." wrote
    >> What advantage is putting a computer to sleep?? Instead of shutting off
    >> the computer at night and starting it up cold, would it be better to put
    >> it to sleep and wake it back up??
    >

    > Hi,
    >
    > sounds like you were using *S3* standby, also known as *Suspend-To-Ram*.
    > Basically just keeps a snap-shot of your system and stores it in ram, then
    > powers down your system but keep the current flowing to RAM. Wakes up
    > very fast.
    >
    > There is also Hibernate, where it does the same thing except writes the
    > info to hard-disk.
    >
    > Hmm so I wonder what is causing my problem then?
    >
    > Wayne ][

Asus Motherboards