Installing hard disk

right ive just got a new hard disk for my dell dimension 4400 and havnt got a clue what to do. Im replacing my old drive with it to make this the primary one. I think I will be ok with the fitting of the hardware but its when I turn the pc bak on that I think im gona get stuck. Can some1 tell me what I have to do, like do i have to start with the xp cd in etc etc??

thanx
9 answers Last reply
More about installing hard disk

    yip start with the XP cd in the driver and the pc will boot from the CD
    drive. The Cd will then format the drive for you and install the OS

    "chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > right ive just got a new hard disk for my dell dimension 4400 and havnt
    got a clue what to do. Im replacing my old drive with it to make this the
    primary one. I think I will be ok with the fitting of the hardware but its
    when I turn the pc bak on that I think im gona get stuck. Can some1 tell me
    what I have to do, like do i have to start with the xp cd in etc etc??

    > thanx

    simple as that? dont i need to hold down any keys when i start or anything? ive heard someone mention bios mode do i have to go into that somehow?

    "chris" wrote:

    > yip start with the XP cd in the driver and the pc will boot from the CD
    > drive. The Cd will then format the drive for you and install the OS
    >

    > "chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > right ive just got a new hard disk for my dell dimension 4400 and havnt
    > got a clue what to do. Im replacing my old drive with it to make this the
    > primary one. I think I will be ok with the fitting of the hardware but its
    > when I turn the pc bak on that I think im gona get stuck. Can some1 tell me
    > what I have to do, like do i have to start with the xp cd in etc etc??
    > >
    > > thanx

    anyone??

    "chris" wrote:

    > simple as that? dont i need to hold down any keys when i start or anything? ive heard someone mention bios mode do i have to go into that somehow?
    >
    > "chris" wrote:
    >
    > > yip start with the XP cd in the driver and the pc will boot from the CD
    > > drive. The Cd will then format the drive for you and install the OS
    > >

    > > "chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > right ive just got a new hard disk for my dell dimension 4400 and havnt
    > > got a clue what to do. Im replacing my old drive with it to make this the
    > > primary one. I think I will be ok with the fitting of the hardware but its
    > > when I turn the pc bak on that I think im gona get stuck. Can some1 tell me
    > > what I have to do, like do i have to start with the xp cd in etc etc??
    > > >
    > > > thanx

    Yes, you will need to set the BIOS to 1st boot device CD drive. When you 1st
    boot your computer, you will see a black screen with the option to enter
    setup, it is often "press Del key", but look for it, it may bean "F"key or
    some combination of keys. Go through the menu that appears until you find
    the boot sequence choices and change as needed. That done, restart the
    computer with the XP CD in your drive and follow the excellent instructions
    provided on the following link.
    Thanks to Michael Stevens.

    LOL, JAX

    > simple as that? dont i need to hold down any keys when i start or
    anything? ive heard someone mention bios mode do i have to go into that
    somehow?

    > "chris" wrote:
    >
    > > yip start with the XP cd in the driver and the pc will boot from the CD
    > > drive. The Cd will then format the drive for you and install the OS
    > >

    > > "chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > right ive just got a new hard disk for my dell dimension 4400 and
    havnt
    > > got a clue what to do. Im replacing my old drive with it to make this
    the
    > > primary one. I think I will be ok with the fitting of the hardware but
    its
    > > when I turn the pc bak on that I think im gona get stuck. Can some1 tell
    me
    > > what I have to do, like do i have to start with the xp cd in etc etc??
    > > >
    > > > thanx

    Just put the cd in and see if you boot off it automatically. If not you
    will need to go into the bios and change the boot order to be able to boot
    of the cd.

    "chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > simple as that? dont i need to hold down any keys when i start or
    anything? ive heard someone mention bios mode do i have to go into that
    somehow?

    > "chris" wrote:
    >
    > > yip start with the XP cd in the driver and the pc will boot from the CD
    > > drive. The Cd will then format the drive for you and install the OS
    > >

    > > "chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > right ive just got a new hard disk for my dell dimension 4400 and
    havnt
    > > got a clue what to do. Im replacing my old drive with it to make this
    the
    > > primary one. I think I will be ok with the fitting of the hardware but
    its
    > > when I turn the pc bak on that I think im gona get stuck. Can some1 tell
    me
    > > what I have to do, like do i have to start with the xp cd in etc etc??
    > > >
    > > > thanx

    For what it's worth, go and check out the physical limitations of your MOBO. You may need updates or not for >80Gb or other steps along the way.

    No matter what size drive you buy, find your way to a reatil shop where you can get MAXTOR drives. They have a full function software package which amongst other good things allows you to:
    1. Set up drive [partition / format]
    2. Copy existing Drive
    3. Use new drive as C Drive

    This software alone is worthwhile as you'd only get the same function from Partition Magic + Drive Image [over $200].

    Good luck

    "chris" wrote:

    > right ive just got a new hard disk for my dell dimension 4400 and havnt got a clue what to do. Im replacing my old drive with it to make this the primary one. I think I will be ok with the fitting of the hardware but its when I turn the pc bak on that I think im gona get stuck. Can some1 tell me what I have to do, like do i have to start with the xp cd in etc etc??
    >
    > thanx

    On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 07:39:02 -0700, "chris"
    <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >right ive just got a new hard disk for my dell dimension 4400 and havnt got a clue what to do. Im replacing my old drive with it to make this the primary one. I think I will be ok with the fitting of the hardware but its when I turn the pc bak on that I think im gona get stuck. Can some1 tell me what I have to do, like do i have to start with the xp cd in etc etc??
    >
    >thanx

    Given your obvious lack of ANY experience in hardware installation and
    OS loading, my recommendation is that you pack up the box and take it
    to a "real" computer store (not Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA or the
    like) and ask for help. Most will let you watch and ask questions.
    That's how I first started out and it helped me immensely.

    Now I build the things, and manage a large IT department with hundreds
    of computers.

    Even though the software that comes with it is impressive, I have never had
    a Maxtor drive hold up. The several I've had, just made it through the
    warranty period.

    To each his/her own, JAX

    > For what it's worth, go and check out the physical limitations of your
    MOBO. You may need updates or not for >80Gb or other steps along the way.

    > No matter what size drive you buy, find your way to a reatil shop where
    you can get MAXTOR drives. They have a full function software package which
    amongst other good things allows you to:
    > 1. Set up drive [partition / format]
    > 2. Copy existing Drive
    > 3. Use new drive as C Drive
    >
    > This software alone is worthwhile as you'd only get the same function from
    Partition Magic + Drive Image [over $200].

    > Good luck
    >

    > "chris" wrote:
    >
    > > right ive just got a new hard disk for my dell dimension 4400 and havnt
    got a clue what to do. Im replacing my old drive with it to make this the
    primary one. I think I will be ok with the fitting of the hardware but its
    when I turn the pc bak on that I think im gona get stuck. Can some1 tell me
    what I have to do, like do i have to start with the xp cd in etc etc??

    > > thanx

    Actually Maxtor have held up fairly well, including a 212meg for win
    3.11, WD have given me problems although warranty replacement was fine.

    JAX wrote:

    > Even though the software that comes with it is impressive, I have never had
    > a Maxtor drive hold up. The several I've had, just made it through the
    > warranty period.
    >
    > To each his/her own, JAX
    >
    > "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>For what it's worth, go and check out the physical limitations of your
    >
    > MOBO. You may need updates or not for >80Gb or other steps along the way.
    >
    >>No matter what size drive you buy, find your way to a reatil shop where
    >
    > you can get MAXTOR drives. They have a full function software package which
    > amongst other good things allows you to:
    >
    >>1. Set up drive [partition / format]
    >>2. Copy existing Drive
    >>3. Use new drive as C Drive
    >>
    >>This software alone is worthwhile as you'd only get the same function from
    >
    > Partition Magic + Drive Image [over $200].
    >
    >>Good luck
    >>

    >>"chris" wrote:
    >>

    >>>right ive just got a new hard disk for my dell dimension 4400 and havnt
    >
    > got a clue what to do. Im replacing my old drive with it to make this the
    > primary one. I think I will be ok with the fitting of the hardware but its
    > when I turn the pc bak on that I think im gona get stuck. Can some1 tell me
    > what I have to do, like do i have to start with the xp cd in etc etc??
    >
    >>>thanx

Hardware Hard Drives Windows XP