USB vs Firewire vs Parallel port.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have run out of USB 2.0 ports and I have several possible solutions. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

My printer is USB and parallel capable. Which option is better.

My scanner and new external hard drive (the reason for the problem) are both
firewire and USB 2.0 capable. CompUSA is having a sale on either a Firewire
card or a USB 2.0 card. I have no problems installing the cards.

A USB 2.0 hub is also a possibility, but unless someone can give my a reason
that it is the best option, it is currently my last choice.

Thanks in advance.

KSB
16 answers Last reply
More about firewire parallel port
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    KSB wrote:
    > I have run out of USB 2.0 ports and I have several possible solutions. Any
    > suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > My printer is USB and parallel capable. Which option is better.
    >
    > My scanner and new external hard drive (the reason for the problem) are both
    > firewire and USB 2.0 capable. CompUSA is having a sale on either a Firewire
    > card or a USB 2.0 card. I have no problems installing the cards.
    >
    > A USB 2.0 hub is also a possibility, but unless someone can give my a reason
    > that it is the best option, it is currently my last choice.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > KSB

    Not too difficult to think through. Put the printer on
    the LPT1 parallel port and configure it accordingly, e.g.,
    EPP or ECP. Connect the external HD to a Firewire port and
    the scanner to a USB 2.0 hub. One rationale for putting it
    there is that the scanner is probably not going to be in
    constant use. And using a hub makes it all that much easier
    to hot-swap USB devices.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    How about a USB2.0 and Firewire Combo card? I would definitely use USB as
    opposed to LPT anytime! The combo card will also give you an option to try
    firewire for the external hard drive and see if you like it, if not and
    prefer to use the USB2.0 port, then you have also got a firewire port should
    the need for digital camcorder capture ever arise!

    If you go for a hub, choose a powered one.
    --
    Cari
    www.coribright.com

    "KSB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >I have run out of USB 2.0 ports and I have several possible solutions. Any
    > suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > My printer is USB and parallel capable. Which option is better.
    >
    > My scanner and new external hard drive (the reason for the problem) are
    > both
    > firewire and USB 2.0 capable. CompUSA is having a sale on either a
    > Firewire
    > card or a USB 2.0 card. I have no problems installing the cards.
    >
    > A USB 2.0 hub is also a possibility, but unless someone can give my a
    > reason
    > that it is the best option, it is currently my last choice.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > KSB

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Mistoffolees <mistyfac01@danang.rvn> wrote in

    > KSB wrote:
    >> I have run out of USB 2.0 ports and I have several possible
    >> solutions. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> My printer is USB and parallel capable. Which option is better.
    >>
    >> My scanner and new external hard drive (the reason for the
    >> problem) are both firewire and USB 2.0 capable. CompUSA is having
    >> a sale on either a Firewire card or a USB 2.0 card. I have no
    >> problems installing the cards.
    >>
    >> A USB 2.0 hub is also a possibility, but unless someone can give
    >> my a reason that it is the best option, it is currently my last
    >> choice.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> KSB
    >>

    > Not too difficult to think through. Put the printer on
    > the LPT1 parallel port and configure it accordingly, e.g.,
    > EPP or ECP. Connect the external HD to a Firewire port and
    > the scanner to a USB 2.0 hub. One rationale for putting it
    > there is that the scanner is probably not going to be in
    > constant use. And using a hub makes it all that much easier
    > to hot-swap USB devices.

    Question, isn't the USB 2.0 faster than Firewire? In which case maybe
    putting the scanner on the Firewire port and the external HD on the USB
    2.0 port could give a small increase in speed?
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    KSB wrote:

    > My printer is USB and parallel capable. Which option is better.
    >
    > My scanner and new external hard drive (the reason for the problem) are
    both
    > firewire and USB 2.0 capable. CompUSA is having a sale on either a
    Firewire
    > card or a USB 2.0 card. I have no problems installing the cards.
    >
    > A USB 2.0 hub is also a possibility, but unless someone can give my a
    reason
    > that it is the best option, it is currently my last choice.

    USB is faster than parallel, but it doesn't matter with the printer, unless
    the printer can process the data faster than the parallel port can pass it
    through.

    Firewire and USB 2.0 are essentially equal for actual throughput. I use
    Firewire for my external HD, mainly because I just got a USB 2.0 capable
    computer.

    A powered USB hub will give you versatility and further expansion
    capability, with an easier-to-reach set of ports than the back of your
    computer. The cost will also be comparable to a PCI USB or Firewire card.
    It should be among your top priorities, unless there's a specific NOT to
    consider it...
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    XS11E wrote:

    > Mistoffolees <mistyfac01@danang.rvn> wrote in
    >

    > Question, isn't the USB 2.0 faster than Firewire? In which case maybe
    > putting the scanner on the Firewire port and the external HD on the USB
    > 2.0 port could give a small increase in speed?

    Have not noticed any difference in speed between the
    USB 2.0 or Firewire ports for the same external HD's.
    Our Mac users swear by Firewire for high-speed use,
    incl. multi-media production, and use USB only for
    routine functions, e.g., scanning, CD recording, etc.
    Their reasoning is that the Firewire connector has
    more conductors running through the wire and is better
    shielded than that for USB. YMMV.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    > XS11E wrote:
    >
    >> Mistoffolees <mistyfac01@danang.rvn> wrote in
    >>

    >> Question, isn't the USB 2.0 faster than Firewire? In which case
    >> maybe putting the scanner on the Firewire port and the external
    >> HD on the USB 2.0 port could give a small increase in speed?
    >>

    > Have not noticed any difference in speed between the
    > USB 2.0 or Firewire ports for the same external HD's.

    Technically, Firewire is capable of data transfers of 400megabits/sec,
    USB 2.0 is capable of 480megabits/sec. That's about 20% faster. I say
    "about" because I've heard some say that neither will actually achieve
    those speeds?

    One reason to use USB 2.0 over Firewire is that it appears that
    Firewire is on it's way out, USB 2.0 seems to be winning the war as per
    various magazine articles.

    I've got multiple firewire ports on my PC, never have figured out any
    use for them....

    > Our Mac users

    I'm going to duck any religious argument! <G>
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "XS11E" <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    snip

    > I've got multiple firewire ports on my PC, never have figured out any
    > use for them....

    Firewire is THE standard for digital video capture.
    --
    Cari
    www.coribright.com

    "Cari \(MS-MVP\)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in

    > "XS11E" <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > snip
    >>
    >> I've got multiple firewire ports on my PC, never have figured out
    >> any use for them....
    >>

    > Firewire is THE standard for digital video capture.

    Not something I'd use on my system.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Assuming you want the most convenience, get a combo USB
    2.0/Firewire card that has internal and external ports.
    Then get a front panel hub that will allow connections
    without having to reach around to the back. Connect things
    that you will not be switching often to the rear ports and
    keep the front for devices you'll switch in and out, such as
    flash drives or game controllers.
    If you buy a hub, be sure it is a powered hub.

    Firewire 400 is faster than USB 2.0 (480) because it has
    lower over-head. But they are about the same. Firewire is
    common with camcorders and if you have an iPod or similar
    device. The latest Firewire is 800 mbps or twice as fast.

    "Mistoffolees" <mistyfac01@danang.rvn> wrote in message

    | XS11E wrote:
    |
    | > Mistoffolees <mistyfac01@danang.rvn> wrote in
    | >

    | > Question, isn't the USB 2.0 faster than Firewire? In
    which case maybe
    | > putting the scanner on the Firewire port and the
    external HD on the USB
    | > 2.0 port could give a small increase in speed?
    | >

    | Have not noticed any difference in speed between the
    | USB 2.0 or Firewire ports for the same external HD's.
    | Our Mac users swear by Firewire for high-speed use,
    | incl. multi-media production, and use USB only for
    | routine functions, e.g., scanning, CD recording, etc.
    | Their reasoning is that the Firewire connector has
    | more conductors running through the wire and is better
    | shielded than that for USB. YMMV.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    > A USB 2.0 hub is also a possibility, but unless someone can give my a
    reason
    > that it is the best option, it is currently my last choice.

    Hard to understand why this would be your last choice. USB hubs are not
    only easy to use, they also provide you the ability to place the hub in a
    location where you can plug/unplug devices more conveniently if you system
    lacks front ports. Of course, it MUST be a powered hub, and I have had
    excellent results with Bekin Hubs.

    --
    ..__
    (__

    A hub is easier to attach things to if you need to switch things around. Parallel is much slower
    than the other 2. You can also get a card that does both firewire and USB, I have seen them in the
    stores too.

    Dave V.

    "KSB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:Ox954CSYEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > I have run out of USB 2.0 ports and I have several possible solutions. Any
    > suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > My printer is USB and parallel capable. Which option is better.
    >
    > My scanner and new external hard drive (the reason for the problem) are both
    > firewire and USB 2.0 capable. CompUSA is having a sale on either a Firewire
    > card or a USB 2.0 card. I have no problems installing the cards.
    >
    > A USB 2.0 hub is also a possibility, but unless someone can give my a reason
    > that it is the best option, it is currently my last choice.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > KSB

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Can I add a better solution than any you have proposed. Buy and add a dual
    enabled USB 2.0/Firewire[IEEE1394,i-link]. A few months ago I added a
    Sandisk PCI Card which gave me three exterior USB 2.0 Ports AND two exterior
    Firewire Ports. It also included one of each on the interior. A tad more
    expensive but well worth the money. If you do this, hook the External Hard
    Drive up via Firewire so you do not have share USB thruput with other
    devices.
    Take my word for it, you will eventually buy a USB Hub.

    --
    Gene K
    "KSB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > I have run out of USB 2.0 ports and I have several possible solutions. Any
    > suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > My printer is USB and parallel capable. Which option is better.
    >
    > My scanner and new external hard drive (the reason for the problem) are
    both
    > firewire and USB 2.0 capable. CompUSA is having a sale on either a
    Firewire
    > card or a USB 2.0 card. I have no problems installing the cards.
    >
    > A USB 2.0 hub is also a possibility, but unless someone can give my a
    reason
    > that it is the best option, it is currently my last choice.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > KSB

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "KSB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > I have run out of USB 2.0 ports and I have several possible solutions. Any
    > suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > My printer is USB and parallel capable. Which option is better.
    >
    > My scanner and new external hard drive (the reason for the problem) are
    both
    > firewire and USB 2.0 capable. CompUSA is having a sale on either a
    Firewire
    > card or a USB 2.0 card. I have no problems installing the cards.
    >
    > A USB 2.0 hub is also a possibility, but unless someone can give my a
    reason
    > that it is the best option, it is currently my last choice.

    My vote would be to install a 4 port internal card. Some actually have 5 or
    more ports (eg 4 on the back and 1 or 2 internal). I did this because my
    mobo only had USB 1.1 ports.

    I've heard that firewire is more reliable for external HD use but I'm using
    USB 2.0 myself and it works fine.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 13:11:05 -0400, "KSB" <nospam@nospam.net>
    wrote:

    >I have run out of USB 2.0 ports and I have several possible solutions. Any
    >suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    >My printer is USB and parallel capable. Which option is better.
    >
    >My scanner and new external hard drive (the reason for the problem) are both
    >firewire and USB 2.0 capable. CompUSA is having a sale on either a Firewire
    >card or a USB 2.0 card. I have no problems installing the cards.
    >
    >A USB 2.0 hub is also a possibility, but unless someone can give my a reason
    >that it is the best option, it is currently my last choice.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >KSB

    Use powered USB hubs. They are now cheap and you should be able
    to daisy chain as many as you need (max of 128 devices) off of
    one USB port on your machine.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Thanks for the input. My final decision was to get the two cards from
    CompUSA-total cost $40 on sale, giving me 3 firewire and 5 additional USB
    ports. (I have plenty of room on my MB.) This is cheaper and gave me more
    then getting a combination card. Without going into the boring details, I
    had a valid reason for not going with the external powered hub. I have
    already installed with no problems at all (beyond the normal rtfm issue).

    I have another question, but I will start a new thread.

    Again, thanks.

    "KSB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > I have run out of USB 2.0 ports and I have several possible solutions. Any
    > suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > My printer is USB and parallel capable. Which option is better.
    >
    > My scanner and new external hard drive (the reason for the problem) are
    both
    > firewire and USB 2.0 capable. CompUSA is having a sale on either a
    Firewire
    > card or a USB 2.0 card. I have no problems installing the cards.
    >
    > A USB 2.0 hub is also a possibility, but unless someone can give my a
    reason
    > that it is the best option, it is currently my last choice.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > KSB

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    KSB wrote:
    > Thanks for the input. My final decision was to get the two cards from
    > CompUSA-total cost $40 on sale, giving me 3 firewire and 5 additional
    > USB ports. (I have plenty of room on my MB.) This is cheaper and gave
    > me more then getting a combination card. Without going into the
    > boring details, I had a valid reason for not going with the external
    > powered hub. I have already installed with no problems at all (beyond
    > the normal rtfm issue).
    >
    > I have another question, but I will start a new thread.
    >
    > Again, thanks.
    >

    > "KSB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> I have run out of USB 2.0 ports and I have several possible
    >> solutions. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> My printer is USB and parallel capable. Which option is better.
    >>
    >> My scanner and new external hard drive (the reason for the problem)
    >> are both firewire and USB 2.0 capable. CompUSA is having a sale on
    >> either a Firewire card or a USB 2.0 card. I have no problems
    >> installing the cards.
    >>
    >> A USB 2.0 hub is also a possibility, but unless someone can give my
    >> a reason that it is the best option, it is currently my last choice.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> KSB
    Congratulations on an excellent decision. I agree that you got more with two
    PCI cards than a dual enabled card probably, but you have to have that extra
    slot available for use.
    --
    Gene K

Microsoft Firewire USB Parallel Port Windows XP