P4C800E-deluxe and raid0

Donz

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2004

I have a raid 0 on a p4c800e deluxe with 2 Maxtor 120Gb.
Works fine on SATA1 and SATA2 that are on onboard Promise controller.
The question is:
is it better (faster) onboard Promise controller (SATA1/SATA2) or onboard
Intel controller (SATA3/SATA4) ?

Thank you.

The Intel controller would be quicker since the Promise controller (as I
understand it) is PCI-based. I disabled the Promise controller in the BIOS
when I set up RAID 0.

MikeSp

"DonZ" <donzaucker@NOSPAM.it> wrote in message
>I have a raid 0 on a p4c800e deluxe with 2 Maxtor 120Gb.
> Works fine on SATA1 and SATA2 that are on onboard Promise controller.
> The question is:
> is it better (faster) onboard Promise controller (SATA1/SATA2) or onboard
> Intel controller (SATA3/SATA4) ?
>
> Thank you.

ender

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 21:05:09 +0100, "DonZ" <donzaucker@NOSPAM.it>
wrote:

>I have a raid 0 on a p4c800e deluxe with 2 Maxtor 120Gb.
>Works fine on SATA1 and SATA2 that are on onboard Promise controller.
>The question is:
>is it better (faster) onboard Promise controller (SATA1/SATA2) or onboard
>Intel controller (SATA3/SATA4) ?
>
>Thank you.

Many believe that the Intel controller is superior. One performance
impact the Promise controller has is that it resides on the PCI bus
and shares its bandwidth.

Regards,

Ender

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 20:08:27 -0600, "Michael S." <mspurgeon5@comcast.net>
wrote:

>The Intel controller would be quicker since the Promise controller (as I
>understand it) is PCI-based. I disabled the Promise controller in the BIOS
>when I set up RAID 0.

How do you set up a RAID using the Intel vs Promise controller?

TIA
J.Asling
(remove 'SPQR' from return address).
--
There are only 10 types of people in the world--

I would be glad to take you through the process of doing so with a fresh XP
install, but do not know how to do so if XP is already installed. Let me
know if you are wanting to do a fresh install of XP.

I could make a stab at it in regard to downloading and installing the Intel
Application Accelerator Raid Edition and configuring the BIOS, but am unsure
if this would screw up your present Windows XP install and would not wish to
do that.

MikeSp