Event ID: 5
Date: 11/1/2004
Time: 9:15:08 AM
A parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

IDE devices are:
Primary
Master - 80Gb Maxtor HDD G:\
Slave - Plextor 24x CD-RW
Secondary
Master - Sony 710 DVD-Rw drive
Slave - Generic MSI CD-Rom
VIA SATA controller
Western digital 80Gb SATA - C:\ (system)

I have updated the Via hyperon drivers, and sata controller driver.
All software/drivers for the drives are also up to day.

Windows is set to us DMA if available.
Systems seems to run ok until I insert a CD. During spin up the computer
completely locks up.
I have disabled autoplay but it had no effect. This happens on all 4 cd
drives.

Any ideas?
I'm going to set each drive as cable select and install the drives one at a
time - just in case one drive is causing the problem.

Grumpy

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001

Also, I have already replaced the cables.

"Grumpy" <Grumpy@fearsqaudron.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP Pro SP2
> Just after boot I get these error messages the system event log.
>
> I get 5 of these:
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: Disk
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 11
> The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.
>
> And 1 of these:
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: atapi
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 5
> Date: 11/1/2004
> Time: 9:15:08 AM
> A parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.
>

> IDE devices are:
> Primary
> Master - 80Gb Maxtor HDD G:\
> Slave - Plextor 24x CD-RW
> Secondary
> Master - Sony 710 DVD-Rw drive
> Slave - Generic MSI CD-Rom
> VIA SATA controller
> Western digital 80Gb SATA - C:\ (system)
>
> I have updated the Via hyperon drivers, and sata controller driver.
> All software/drivers for the drives are also up to day.
>
> Windows is set to us DMA if available.
> Systems seems to run ok until I insert a CD. During spin up the computer
> completely locks up.
> I have disabled autoplay but it had no effect. This happens on all 4 cd
> drives.
>
> Any ideas?
> I'm going to set each drive as cable select and install the drives one at
> a time - just in case one drive is causing the problem.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

1) What bios version do you have?
2) Are the jumpers et correctly? Master and Slave, check again.
3) Disconnect all CDs and reconnect one after the other and boot to see
which one causes the defect

Seems to me there is some kind of interference between the devices.

Please check these and get back here.

Grumpy

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001

Well, I think it's the 80Gb Maxtor.

No errors while the drive was alone on an ide channel. When I put a slave
device with it I got the errors.
I tried 5 different cd-roms and a zip drive. It did this every time.

The drive seems to be ok for now - just won't play with others.
I enabled the Promise controller without Raid and put it on that ide
channel, alone. Seems to be working fine so far.