  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2004 4:05:53 AM

When using the Promise Fastrak S-ATA raid controller on the P4PE you
are always presented with the "Press (ctrl-f) for setup" prompt and a
long pause at boot. There is no password if you press Ctrl-F, and
inside the raid setup one can really mess up things.

Is there a way to disable the setup-prompt, the pause and/or password
protect it (like on SCSI-controllers). My PC is used bt more people
than me, and I'm a bit worried that someone should mess up things :-(

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

More about : promise fastrak setup prompt disable

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2004 5:58:06 PM

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 01:05:53 +0100, Lars-Erik Østerud <.@.> wrote:

>When using the Promise Fastrak S-ATA raid controller on the P4PE you
>are always presented with the "Press (ctrl-f) for setup" prompt and a
>long pause at boot. There is no password if you press Ctrl-F, and
>inside the raid setup one can really mess up things.
>
>Is there a way to disable the setup-prompt, the pause and/or password
>protect it (like on SCSI-controllers). My PC is used bt more people
>than me, and I'm a bit worried that someone should mess up things :-(

I think not !

If the bios of the fasttrack does not have an option with password.

Take a backup-image of the C-drive, on a single harddisk with no raid.
Drive-image can handle raid drives.

Else I would say that raid0 is not suitable for a PC with such users.
It implies a risk for the performance it gives.

I see you use windows 98. Really ? just a 6 year old OS. Win2k and XP
offer a much nicer setup with multiple desktops, one for each user, -
separate log-in.

best regards

John
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2004 6:12:10 PM

JK (at mail dot dk) skrev:

> Else I would say that raid0 is not suitable for a PC with such users.
> It implies a risk for the performance it gives.

I don't use it for RAID, I only have one drive on it.
So maybe there is nothing to mess up from the BIOS anyway :-)

> I see you use windows 98. Really ? just a 6 year old OS. Win2k and XP
> offer a much nicer setup with multiple desktops, one for each user, -

And much more resource hogs, and icompability (I have XP installed on
partition 2, but until I get all programs working, I'll keep 98se :-)

--
!