mobo size compatibility with case

I am about to build a new PC. I need to make sure the motherboard im getting fits in the case im getting. At newegg.com, in the case specs, it says "Motherboard Compatibility", next to which it will say either MicroATX or ATX or something. Under the motherboard specs, it says "Form Function:" and ATX or MicroATX. As long as the Motherboard Compatibility and Form Function match, will the mobo fit in the case?

thanks a bunch
2 answers Last reply
More about mobo size compatibility case

    ATX is a full size (generally 5 or 6 PCI slot mobo) and
    microATX is the smaller 2 or 3 PCI slot mobo. Either size
    will fit the standard mid-tower PC case, the smaller towers
    need the mATX and there are other format mobo such as Mac
    and the tiny Shuttle mobo.
    Different mobo have different back plane inserts to fit
    around the mobo ports, retail mobo usually include a custom
    insert if it is required. These are best inserted with the
    aid of a 2x4 about 5-6 inches long so you can get it seated
    without bending it.

    See www.antec-inc.com for more info, also www.intel.com
    New Egg is a good place to buy, they know their stuff and
    can answer questions by email or telephone.

    "Gbizzle" <Gbizzle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | I am about to build a new PC. I need to make sure the
    motherboard im getting fits in the case im getting. At
    newegg.com, in the case specs, it says "Motherboard
    Compatibility", next to which it will say either MicroATX or
    ATX or something. Under the motherboard specs, it says
    "Form Function:" and ATX or MicroATX. As long as the
    Motherboard Compatibility and Form Function match, will the
    mobo fit in the case?

    | thanks a bunch

    One important item to consider.

    When using two or more devices in the top front slots, you may have physical space limitations due to case size and motherboard layout.

    A mini-tower case may for example have 3 slots where you can install CD / DVD or Zip drives, but you may find that becasue of the depth of the device, that it isn't abloe to be installed, because the memory modules are stick up from the MOBO.

    Indeed most cases will accept all form factors these days, but if you want more disk drives, get the full tower or a 'long' mini tower case.

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > ATX is a full size (generally 5 or 6 PCI slot mobo) and
    > microATX is the smaller 2 or 3 PCI slot mobo. Either size
    > will fit the standard mid-tower PC case, the smaller towers
    > need the mATX and there are other format mobo such as Mac
    > and the tiny Shuttle mobo.
    > Different mobo have different back plane inserts to fit
    > around the mobo ports, retail mobo usually include a custom
    > insert if it is required. These are best inserted with the
    > aid of a 2x4 about 5-6 inches long so you can get it seated
    > without bending it.
    >
    > See www.antec-inc.com for more info, also www.intel.com
    > New Egg is a good place to buy, they know their stuff and
    > can answer questions by email or telephone.

    > "Gbizzle" <Gbizzle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > | I am about to build a new PC. I need to make sure the
    > motherboard im getting fits in the case im getting. At
    > newegg.com, in the case specs, it says "Motherboard
    > Compatibility", next to which it will say either MicroATX or
    > ATX or something. Under the motherboard specs, it says
    > "Form Function:" and ATX or MicroATX. As long as the
    > Motherboard Compatibility and Form Function match, will the
    > mobo fit in the case?
    > |
    > | thanks a bunch

Cases Compatibility Motherboards Windows XP