  • Motherboards
  • Windows XP
a b V Motherboard
July 3, 2004 7:05:01 PM

I am about to build a new PC. I need to make sure the motherboard im getting fits in the case im getting. At newegg.com, in the case specs, it says "Motherboard Compatibility", next to which it will say either MicroATX or ATX or something. Under the motherboard specs, it says "Form Function:" and ATX or MicroATX. As long as the Motherboard Compatibility and Form Function match, will the mobo fit in the case?

thanks a bunch

More about : mobo size compatibility case

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 3, 2004 10:14:52 PM

ATX is a full size (generally 5 or 6 PCI slot mobo) and
microATX is the smaller 2 or 3 PCI slot mobo. Either size
will fit the standard mid-tower PC case, the smaller towers
need the mATX and there are other format mobo such as Mac
and the tiny Shuttle mobo.
Different mobo have different back plane inserts to fit
around the mobo ports, retail mobo usually include a custom
insert if it is required. These are best inserted with the
aid of a 2x4 about 5-6 inches long so you can get it seated
without bending it.

See www.antec-inc.com for more info, also www.intel.com
New Egg is a good place to buy, they know their stuff and
can answer questions by email or telephone.

"Gbizzle" <Gbizzle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| I am about to build a new PC. I need to make sure the
motherboard im getting fits in the case im getting. At
newegg.com, in the case specs, it says "Motherboard
Compatibility", next to which it will say either MicroATX or
ATX or something. Under the motherboard specs, it says
"Form Function:" and ATX or MicroATX. As long as the
Motherboard Compatibility and Form Function match, will the
mobo fit in the case?

| thanks a bunch
July 3, 2004 10:26:01 PM

One important item to consider.

When using two or more devices in the top front slots, you may have physical space limitations due to case size and motherboard layout.

A mini-tower case may for example have 3 slots where you can install CD / DVD or Zip drives, but you may find that becasue of the depth of the device, that it isn't abloe to be installed, because the memory modules are stick up from the MOBO.

Indeed most cases will accept all form factors these days, but if you want more disk drives, get the full tower or a 'long' mini tower case.

!