Ok go easy on this newbie. Barebones question Building my ..

I have narrowed my search for my first barebones kit down to one with
the asus P4S800 and one with an MSI KT4AV-L. I am by no means a
serious gamer or a serious compugeek. I have experience installing
hard drives, CD drives, memory, video cards etc but no experience with
a new board.

The two barebones systems I'm planning to start from are
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=775450&CatId=1223
and
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=722242&CatId=114

I'm planning to transfer most of the guts from my old system (hard
drive (maxtor 40gb), cd drives (HP 9500 cd writer and Benq DVD drive),
vid (ATI Radeon 9500) and sound cards (Soundblaster Live 5.0) etc)

I guess what I'm asking is what system will allow me to jump into the
21st century from the current dinosaur I'm using (600mb athlon
processor and a gigabyte board) And what is the real meat and
potatoes differences between these two systems (other than the obvious
200 dollar price diff) and would they mean anything to me?

Thank you so much for not laughing at the newbie builder.
9 answers Last reply
More about easy newbie barebones question building

    the KT has no memory ,,so you have to buy a stick of RAM...if the CPU is a
    Barton core that is better yet..but the board would be lacking a bit..I sold
    my KT4VL MSI board.the KT4 series of chips has a few issues..besides for
    what I just read of this..I priced it out separately with a DFI KT6 board
    and came up cheaper..research the components and put it together
    yourself..it is cheaper in the long run.

    chinadoll12@hotmail.com (Aurora) wrote in message news:<209eda1a.0411012130.7724ec09@posting.google.com>...
    > I have narrowed my search for my first barebones kit down to one with
    > the asus P4S800 and one with an MSI KT4AV-L. I am by no means a
    > serious gamer or a serious compugeek. I have experience installing
    > hard drives, CD drives, memory, video cards etc but no experience with
    > a new board.
    >
    > The two barebones systems I'm planning to start from are
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=775450&CatId=1223
    > and
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=722242&CatId=114
    >
    > I'm planning to transfer most of the guts from my old system (hard
    > drive (maxtor 40gb), cd drives (HP 9500 cd writer and Benq DVD drive),
    > vid (ATI Radeon 9500) and sound cards (Soundblaster Live 5.0) etc)
    >
    > I guess what I'm asking is what system will allow me to jump into the
    > 21st century from the current dinosaur I'm using (600mb athlon
    > processor and a gigabyte board) And what is the real meat and
    > potatoes differences between these two systems (other than the obvious
    > 200 dollar price diff) and would they mean anything to me?
    >
    > Thank you so much for not laughing at the newbie builder.

    I'm not laughing. We all had a first time, and most of us never tell
    about the boards we smoked in the process. If you really want to jump
    into the 21st century, then you should build an Athlon 64 system. This
    will prepare you for the next generation of Windows when it is
    introduced in a year or so.

    You can buy the necessary parts from a reputable supplier, such as
    Newegg, and get away for around $500. Here are some random thoughts:

    1- If you build a system then the parts with the longest potential
    lifetime are the case and power supply. Barebones systems give you
    no-name brands. I strongly urge you to purchase name brands, such as
    Antec, for these components. You can get a god Antec 400W supply for
    around $70 and an Antec case and power supply for around $100.

    2- Don't mix ATI videocards and nVidia chipsets, there are known
    incompatibilities.

    3- You probably won't need your sound card because most mobo's have
    built-in sound, but you can always disable the onboard stuff if you
    like.

    4- Don't build it without a 3.5" floppy drive because you'll probably
    need it to flash your BIOS.

    5- If the board you buy doesn't come with some kind of BIOS recovery
    utility, then it might be worth the money to purchase the BIOS savior
    for your board. It allows you to recover from a bad flashing session.

    6- Be sure to go to the manufacturer's website and download all the
    latest dirvers before you start to build the system. Most of the
    drivers that come with the mobo are out-of-date anyway.

    7- Don't try to reuse your old C: drive with O/S on it. Do a clean
    install. The mobo and the operating system are just too intimate with
    each other to try to save time. It is possible to move the O/S to a
    new motherboard and lots of people do it, but I don't recommend it.

    8- If possible, have your hard drives reformatted by your new
    motherboard. This guarantees that the sectors will be properly
    recognized, because not all chipsets do the logical block translations
    in the same way. This was told to me by a hardware designer who knows
    his stuff and builds PC's on the side. He said that 90% of the time
    you can do it, but when it fails, you may have corrupted data.

    9- Before you think about putting the system together, carefully read
    the manual. Or, as we use to say at HP, "RTFM".

    10- When you build you system, proceed in baby steps. For example, on
    a table top, making sure that you are grounded, or are continually
    touching a grounded piece of metal. You could plug the power supply
    into the wall, but leave it turned off. This gives you a gounded
    chassis to touch so you won't build up a static charge and zap
    anything.

    11- Carefully insert the CPU in the mobo. Be expecially careful to
    make sure the orientation is correct and that you didn't force
    anything. The CPU should just drop in. If you need to apply any
    pressure at all, then you are probably tring to plug it into a locked
    ZIF socket, or there is a bent pin.

    12-Attach the fan. Make sure to follow the procedure for removing the
    protective tape from the heat sink compound on the fan. Make sure to
    plug the fan into the correct connector on the mobo. If you plug it
    into the wrong connector the system won't start because the fan
    tachomenter signal won't be detected by the mobo.

    13- Insert one memory stick into the correct slot, being careful to
    follow the insertion instructions.

    14- Insert the video card. in either the AGP slot or the PCI slot. you
    can prop up the edge of the board to prvent the card from working out
    of the slot.

    15- Attach the monitor to the videocard and the power supply to the
    ATX power connector.

    16- Take a break. Go away for a while then come back and examine
    everything.

    17- Turn on the power supply. Use a small screw-driver to
    short-circuit together the two pins on the motherboard that go to the
    front panel power switch. The system should power-up.

    18- Watch the monitor. You should see the boot-up process begin. When
    it gets to the part about complaining that there is no keyboard, you
    can turn it off.

    19- At this point you can put the mobo in the case and add connect the
    drives. Don't cover it yet. Add additional memory if you have it.
    Connect the front panel switches and lights to the connector on the
    mobo.

    20- Take a break. Return and inspect.

    21- Power up. Watch for the boot-up screen. When it says to press a
    key to enter the BIOS, press the key. In the BIOS, make sure all of
    your drives are identified, as well as all of your memory.

    22- Exit the BIOS and run MEMTEST86 for 4 or 5 hours until you are
    satisfied that it is stable and you don't have any errors.

    23- Now you can install Windows.

    ab

    On 4 Nov 2004 14:55:00 -0800, aberger@u.washington.edu (Arnie Berger)
    wrote:

    <snip>
    >2- Don't mix ATI videocards and nVidia chipsets, there are known
    >incompatibilities.

    What sort of incompatibilities?
    Ed
    --
    NF3/Radeon 9800 pro
    NF2/Radeon DDR 64 vivo

    On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 01:47:49 -0600, Ed <not@here.com> wrote:

    >On 4 Nov 2004 14:55:00 -0800, aberger@u.washington.edu (Arnie Berger)
    >wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >>2- Don't mix ATI videocards and nVidia chipsets, there are known
    >>incompatibilities.
    >
    >What sort of incompatibilities?
    >Ed

    Yes, what kind of incompatibilities? I'm presently running a new
    system with an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe and an ATI All-in-wonder 9600XT,
    and I'd like to know what to look out for.
    Charlie Hoffpauir

    "Ed" <not@here.com> wrote in message
    | On 4 Nov 2004 14:55:00 -0800, aberger@u.washington.edu (Arnie
    Berger)
    | wrote:
    |
    | <snip>
    | >2- Don't mix ATI videocards and nVidia chipsets, there are known
    | >incompatibilities.
    |
    | What sort of incompatibilities?
    | Ed
    | --
    | NF3/Radeon 9800 pro
    | NF2/Radeon DDR 64 vivo

    I'll throw in my 2 cents also.

    I have an ATI 9800 Pro running perfectly in an Asus A7N8X-DLX 2.0, an
    ATI Radeon 8500LE running great in an A7N8X-DLX 2.0, and an older
    Radeon 32 Meg DDR running in a Biostar M7NCD-PRO mobo. So what is the
    incompatibility? Answer: there is none.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    This person is taking rubbish. I've never experienced any 'incompatibilities
    between any chipsets and video cards........
    Chris C

    "Chris Catt" <cuke(nospam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<418cf2f7$0$33608$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>...
    > This person is taking rubbish. I've never experienced any 'incompatibilities
    > between any chipsets and video cards........
    > Chris C

    Let me quote from my K8N-E Deluxe User Guide:

    "If installing the ATI 9500 or 9700 Pro series VGA cards, use only the
    card PN xxx-xxxxx-30 or later, for optimum performance and
    overclocking stability." Note that "optimum performance" and
    "overclocking stability" are marketing euphamisms for your computer
    won't lock up.

    Others have reported problems with some ATI video cards on this
    newsgroup.
    I'm not saying that the ATI/nVidia pair won't work, but if I was
    starting with a new system, I would try to match parts from the same
    manufacturer because it would have a higher probablity of working
    properly together.

    So Chris, I don't think I was talking rubbish, although my Computer
    Science students accuse me of it all the time. :-)

    arnie

    On 6 Nov 2004 16:14:39 -0800, aberger@u.washington.edu (Arnie Berger)
    wrote:

    >"Chris Catt" <cuke(nospam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<418cf2f7$0$33608$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>...
    >> This person is taking rubbish. I've never experienced any 'incompatibilities
    >> between any chipsets and video cards........
    >> Chris C
    >

    >Let me quote from my K8N-E Deluxe User Guide:
    >
    >"If installing the ATI 9500 or 9700 Pro series VGA cards, use only the
    >card PN xxx-xxxxx-30 or later, for optimum performance and
    >overclocking stability." Note that "optimum performance" and
    >"overclocking stability" are marketing euphamisms for your computer
    >won't lock up.
    >
    >Others have reported problems with some ATI video cards on this
    >newsgroup.
    >I'm not saying that the ATI/nVidia pair won't work, but if I was
    >starting with a new system, I would try to match parts from the same
    >manufacturer because it would have a higher probablity of working
    >properly together.
    >
    >So Chris, I don't think I was talking rubbish, although my Computer
    >Science students accuse me of it all the time. :-)
    >
    >arnie

    Well thanks for the comment, but I'd really like to hear from the
    "others" that you're referring to. Or at least have a reference to
    what kind of problem to expect. Your interpretation of the ASUS
    manual's statement is interesting, but not really helpful, since
    "others" might as well interpret that they really mean exactly what
    they are saying.
    ---
    Charlie Hoffpauir

    Charlie wrote:
    > On 6 Nov 2004 16:14:39 -0800, aberger@u.washington.edu (Arnie Berger)
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Chris Catt" <cuke(nospam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<418cf2f7$0$33608$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>...
    >>
    >>>This person is taking rubbish. I've never experienced any 'incompatibilities
    >>>between any chipsets and video cards........
    >>>Chris C
    >>

    >>Let me quote from my K8N-E Deluxe User Guide:
    >>
    >>"If installing the ATI 9500 or 9700 Pro series VGA cards, use only the
    >>card PN xxx-xxxxx-30 or later, for optimum performance and
    >>overclocking stability." Note that "optimum performance" and
    >>"overclocking stability" are marketing euphamisms for your computer
    >>won't lock up.
    >>
    >>Others have reported problems with some ATI video cards on this
    >>newsgroup.
    >>I'm not saying that the ATI/nVidia pair won't work, but if I was
    >>starting with a new system, I would try to match parts from the same
    >>manufacturer because it would have a higher probablity of working
    >>properly together.
    >>
    >>So Chris, I don't think I was talking rubbish, although my Computer
    >>Science students accuse me of it all the time. :-)
    >>
    >>arnie
    >

    > Well thanks for the comment, but I'd really like to hear from the
    > "others" that you're referring to. Or at least have a reference to
    > what kind of problem to expect. Your interpretation of the ASUS
    > manual's statement is interesting, but not really helpful, since
    > "others" might as well interpret that they really mean exactly what
    > they are saying.
    > ---
    > Charlie Hoffpauir
    > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

    I remember when the Radeon 9700 Pro was first released there were
    problems with some motherboards and the very first 9700's. Some of the
    people had to get new cards with a higher revision to fix the problem,
    but that was a couple of years ago. You might want to google the
    videocards.ati group for some of the posts.

Asus Barebones CD-Rom Motherboards