Tags:
  • Windows XP
  • Displays
July 4, 2004 5:34:36 AM

Hello,

I used the Device Manager to remove a secondary LCD
display, and after a restart, WinXP Pro no longer
recognized the laptop's (IBM Thinkpad) own built-in
display.

At the moment the computer starts with a blue screen error
(STOP: 0x0000008E) and will only start in safe mode.

I tried using the Search for New Hardware feature, but
this did not help, nor were monitors listed as items to be
added manually.

On my manufacturer's website, (when I looked up the Stop
error) [http://www-
307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-
50883] they recommend installing new video drivers, which
I downloaded, and tried to install, (in safe-mode) however
at the very end of the processes, I get an error message
that there is no hardware found for the software to
install, and the installation is terminated.

Is there a way in safe-mode to force an install?

Unfortunately, System Restore has been turned off for some
time. Is there a way in safemode to restore my recent
registry files? (before I removed the external monitor)

what a mess I made!

Thanks for any advice.
Sonny

More about : laptop display longer recongnized

Anonymous
July 4, 2004 11:16:08 AM

UPDATE

Well, after writing all this, I ventured back to my
laptop, pressed the ON button... and it started! (without
going into Safe Mode) Apparently the attempted Video
drives *did* install in safe mode to some degree, enough
to let WinXP start without a Stop error and finish the
remainder of the job.

PS: I've since backed up the entire Reg. files on CD, and
turned Sys. Restore back on! (at least on C:/ drive)