Flash BIOS on a A7V333 without an A: drive?

Bruce

I cannot get my A: drive to work on my A7V333. Changed cables, drives,
BIOS settings etc. Drive is seen by WinXP but cannot read a disk and
system will not boot from floppy.

Need to up grade the BIOS (1007) to install a 160 gig drive. Can I do it
from a DOS boot CD-Rom? An old Zip drive? A USB A: drive?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance, Bruce

Paul

Splendid

In article <Wkhid.15908$Rf1.4899@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
bsauter@REMOVEexcite.com wrote:

> I cannot get my A: drive to work on my A7V333. Changed cables, drives,
> BIOS settings etc. Drive is seen by WinXP but cannot read a disk and
> system will not boot from floppy.
>
> Need to up grade the BIOS (1007) to install a 160 gig drive. Can I do it
> from a DOS boot CD-Rom? An old Zip drive? A USB A: drive?
>
> Anyone have any experience with this?
>
> Thanks in advance, Bruce

First off, start here:

http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/info/bios/index.htm#333

or the same warning is also here:

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/descript.aspx?l1_id=1&l2_id=10&l3_id=18&m_id=1&key_f_name=av33315.zip

I take it your current BIOS is 1007 ? Are you trying to upgrade _to_
1007, or from 1007 to 1018 ?

If your current BIOS is 1007, you can use Asus Update. Version
5.30.01 can be found here (1.45MB). It is a Windows program:

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=Tools&Type=All&SLanguage=en-us

Use Asus Update to download the BIOS file to disk first, so that the
network is not being used during the flash process. If there is an
option to do it, back up the original BIOS file in case you need to
return to the old version. Disable anything which might stop the
programming process (like a BIOS setting that prevents programming
the flash, or some anti-virus program of some sort). Asus Update should
be the only program running while the flash is being programmed.
A fresh reboot before using Asus Update might not be a bad idea
as well. (Can you tell I don't like the concept of programming
the flash from Windows :)

If the flash operation screws up, see www.badflash.com, as they
and other companies sell BIOS chips programmed with whatever version
of BIOS you want on them. If this is your only computer, this option
might make sense anyway. If you have other computers to use if
something goes wrong, then Asus Update should be good enough.

HTH,
Paul

Bruce wrote:
> I cannot get my A: drive to work on my A7V333. Changed cables, drives,
> BIOS settings etc. Drive is seen by WinXP but cannot read a disk and
> system will not boot from floppy.
>
> Need to up grade the BIOS (1007) to install a 160 gig drive. Can I do it
> from a DOS boot CD-Rom? An old Zip drive? A USB A: drive?
>
> Anyone have any experience with this?
>
> Thanks in advance, Bruce
It sounds like you tried almost everything to get it to work. Perhaps
the cable is reversed (usually indicated by a continuously lit floppy
light). Have you tried the boot floppy disc on another PC to see if it
is good and bootable (Dr. Dos recommended for flashing).