Closed

Linux Creator Linus Torvalds Declined to Join Apple

Last response: in News comments
March 22, 2012 11:06:01 AM

This guy is a BOSS!
Score
March 22, 2012 11:07:08 AM

Smart choice.
In ten years when Apple has collapsed, Linux will still be going strong...
Score
March 22, 2012 11:23:35 AM

This doesn't seem like that big of deal. Anyone who is really passionate about something won't give it up for a job if they don't have to.

How many Tom's readers would give up computers for a job?
Score
Anonymous
March 22, 2012 11:25:46 AM

@outlw6669
What's going to make it strong between now and then?
Score
Anonymous
March 22, 2012 11:26:28 AM

Good decision by Linus!
Score
March 22, 2012 11:27:17 AM

Those who live based on their heart will say a bold NO because it compromises our character, passion and natural talents that we have and no one had the right to challenge or deny those. Those who live based on following commands from mind may say Yes.
Score
March 22, 2012 11:30:42 AM

"In ten years when Apple has collapsed, Linux will still be going as bad as ever..."

There, fixed that for you!
Score
March 22, 2012 11:36:33 AM

^ and you're saying its bad because of your noobish experience with linux?
Score
March 22, 2012 11:37:33 AM

Cryogenic"In ten years when Apple has collapsed, Linux will still be going as bad as ever..."There, fixed that for you!

cryogenic u have no concept of linux and how much its used
Score
Anonymous
March 22, 2012 11:37:35 AM

Yeah Cryo, its not like every web server in the universe is already running on Mac... oh wait, thats Linux its running on.

Grow up you 12 year old ipad amazed kid.
Score
March 22, 2012 11:38:42 AM

I would have turned down Apple simply cause I just do not really care for them. Don't get me wrong I do believe Steve Jobs was one of the greats and Apple does come up with really good products and ideas; its just the way they do business that ruins it all for me. When it comes to the way they conduct business, in some ways, they are worse then even M$.
Score
Anonymous
March 22, 2012 11:42:13 AM

lol cryogenic dont be such a noob, unix is BOSS OS... It's purpose is to work, to run servers. to have a system that does not fail.
you can take a linux server configure it and come back after 3 years, it will still run like it did when you left.

do that with microsoft, and when you come back there will be crash logs etc...
Score
March 22, 2012 11:44:58 AM

Cryogenic"In ten years when Apple has collapsed, Linux will still be going as bad as ever..."There, fixed that for you!

Clearly, you seem to lack understanding of such a statement. Either way Apple will still collapse. As for the the Linux part well others have and I am sure will continue to take that one and set it straight.
Score
March 22, 2012 12:03:19 PM

Apple is superior to all Linux, Microsoft, and Google products anyway. They already have the most talented staff in the world, they don't need some loser like this.
Score
March 22, 2012 12:08:28 PM

Steve Jobs asked the wrong person, period. Linus is driven by passion. Asking him to drop Linux is just ridiculous.
Score
March 22, 2012 12:15:00 PM

Linus doesn't need Apple. This guy has real smarts not a drop out wanna be like Jobs was. Would you want to work for someone like that? Jobs got lucky by just being around the right people at the right time and faking his way in. Linus has an estimated net worth of around 150Mil so I would say he is doing just fine thank you.
Score
March 22, 2012 12:15:05 PM

... interesting... android is linux based... hell, all non-apple and non-MS is linux based... will be interesting...
Score
March 22, 2012 12:18:35 PM

It's LINUS Torvals
Score
March 22, 2012 12:19:56 PM

of course, I have to make a typo while pointing out a typo...
Score
March 22, 2012 12:28:04 PM

This is synonymous with selling your soul to Satan
Score
March 22, 2012 12:36:13 PM

You're making a fool out of yourself. Try doing some research.

Over 90% of supercomputers and over 60% of servers use Linux.
Score
March 22, 2012 12:39:00 PM

Ask TH what they are using to provide this site to you. Chances are pretty good that they are using Linux with a LAMP configuration.

Linux has it's place, but it use more so because it can be adapted to just about anything. All kinds of appliances, Servers, workstations, watches, phones. You name it. Just because it is not widely used as a Desktop OS does not mean that it is going bad. It is is doing very well.
Score
March 22, 2012 12:42:13 PM

seelsApple is superior to all Linux, Microsoft, and Google products anyway. They already have the most talented staff in the world, they don't need some loser like this.

I sense irony... or morony (sic). Can't tell; post some more so we can figure it out.
Score
March 22, 2012 12:53:21 PM

I would never join the Apple Regime....
Score
March 22, 2012 12:59:23 PM

Yeah, I guess Linux will just have to keep limping along, powering the majority of the world's webservers and being the OS of choice for countless computer professionals around the world.
Score
Anonymous
March 22, 2012 1:25:29 PM

If Steve Jobs joined the Linux Foundation, he would've transformed the Linux Foundation into a patent troll.
Score
March 22, 2012 1:45:10 PM

I wasn't talking about servers or supercomputers (you nimrods!),
that's where Linux and Apple DON'T compete, I was talking about Desktop and Devices, where Linux is far from great (It downright sucks) ... And don't tell me all of you deal with supercomputers everyday you go to work or are server administrators for Linux Web Server Farms for a Fortune 1000 company ....
Score
Anonymous
March 22, 2012 2:00:01 PM

This isn't news, Linus wrote about turning down Jobs in his memoir "Just for Fun" in 2001.
Score
March 22, 2012 2:09:04 PM

Quote:
And don't tell me all of you deal with supercomputers everyday you go to work or are server administrators for Linux Web Server Farms for a Fortune 1000 company ....

Well...some of us do and some of us are...
Score
March 22, 2012 2:12:18 PM

dummy...like it or not Apple is bigger than Microsoft now.... he should have taken the job....I really like the idea that Apple develops it's own hardware, if Microsoft would do the same thing it could overtake Apple again.
Score
March 22, 2012 2:23:21 PM

And that's why Linux has my respect but Jobs doesn't... :-)
Score
March 22, 2012 2:23:49 PM

Apple is the worst, bloody enemy, of GNU and Open Source.
Score
March 22, 2012 2:57:05 PM

seelsApple is superior to all Linux, Microsoft, and Google products anyway. They already have the most talented staff in the world, they don't need some loser like this.

You do realize that Apple -like Nike- is not actually manufacturing anything ?

They just have a Chinese factory assemble parts made by Korean and Japanese companies.
Apple is basically a Marketing Company; admittedly a pretty successful one at the moment.

Score
Anonymous
March 22, 2012 3:16:05 PM

Linus knew already that Jobs was always a backstabber,kudos!
Score
March 22, 2012 3:24:25 PM

tidexIt's LINUS Torvals

Haha, what do you mean? Mr. Linux did not invent the Linus operating system?
Score
March 22, 2012 3:39:27 PM

Apple is bigger than Microsoft??? More profitable. yes, bigger. NO.

Market share in any form other than tablet, which will be owned by Android/Linux by the end of next year is not held by Apple at all.

Read a book, learn something , and then have an opinion please. Is Siri feeding you this crap???
Score
March 22, 2012 4:09:15 PM

cryogenicI wasn't talking about servers or supercomputers (you nimrods!), that's where Linux and Apple DON'T compete, I was talking about Desktop and Devices, where Linux is far from great (It downright sucks) ... And don't tell me all of you deal with supercomputers everyday you go to work or are server administrators for Linux Web Server Farms for a Fortune 1000 company ....

Are you really that dense? Everything you access online is stored on servers. Guess which OS most of those servers run?

Even when it comes to desktops, there's no praise for Apple because Windows dominates by a large margin.
Score
March 22, 2012 4:23:35 PM

cryogenic"In ten years when Apple has collapsed, Linux will still be going as bad as ever..."There, fixed that for you!

android is linux.. do you really think linux is a bad OS? billons of people loves android, unless you have an old nokia with symbian.. (another linux distro for phones by the way)..

think again about linux when you use your microwave oven, laundry machine, tv, dvd, gmail, every mail (except for hotmail), millons of websites hosting, and so on..
Score
March 22, 2012 4:37:51 PM

Hell, even Mac OS and iOS are based on Unix.
Score
March 22, 2012 4:52:35 PM

Everyone needs to dust off their knees and stop bobbing on Linus'... talent.

Seriously, Linus is to linux users as Steve Jobs was to mac users. It's just one man. He isn't designing every distro all by himself. Hell, I don't even know what the man has really contributed since linux finally took off.

Give some credit to the rest of the community continually working to make linux better and stop worshiping Linus like he's some digital deity.
Score
March 22, 2012 5:02:18 PM

They may have some similarities, but Apple is the figurehead of the movement towards closed everything. They want control over all hardware, software and data. Linux is the exact opposite of this. From that perspective there is no way that Linus could work for Apple without selling his soul.
Score
March 22, 2012 5:26:20 PM

tidexIt's LINUS Torvals

Linus TorvalDs
Score
March 22, 2012 5:29:08 PM

cryogenicI wasn't talking about servers or supercomputers (you nimrods!), that's where Linux and Apple DON'T compete, I was talking about Desktop and Devices, where Linux is far from great (It downright sucks) ... And don't tell me all of you deal with supercomputers everyday you go to work or are server administrators for Linux Web Server Farms for a Fortune 1000 company ....

Hate o argue a point here cryo but linux is used on desktops world wide of course not at the level of pc or mac. Yet its mobile portfolio is strong. If your holding a Android phone your using linux code in your hand.
Score
March 22, 2012 5:47:00 PM

Of course he refused, apple values are pretty much the opposite of linux.
Score
Anonymous
March 22, 2012 6:01:09 PM

@Tab540, indeed, ofcours he declined, this is just a silly article. And if offered now again, he would have a zillion more reasons to decline given the monster Apple became. Not to speak about bad worker conditions, trying to dominate the market etc etc..
I bought the first unibody macbook (late 2008) and loved it. But now I am back at Linux for my day to day work (java development), it feels so open and free and I can install all the tools I need without resorting to using a VM (Websphere, DB2, Oracle etc).
This whole Mac OSX experience is just silly. Good thing I found my way back into linux.
Score
March 22, 2012 6:07:01 PM

Why would you want to work for Apple?????
Score
March 22, 2012 6:10:52 PM

Linux runs over 60% of web server and over 90% of the top 500 supercomputers. Who'd want to go work on a niche product like OS X?
Score
March 22, 2012 6:18:10 PM

The only reason why Linux took hold at all is because it was free. That's great, but there is no single technical merit or innovation in it, we are basically talking about an ancient 1970's style boring clone of UNIX. Architecturally, Linux is a stone-age operating system. From that point of view I find Linus definitely overrated and his remarks often very arrogant.
Score
March 22, 2012 6:34:37 PM

Apple is all about corporate greed, profit margins, being in total control of their isheep. Linus is all about open source and fostering innovation. Not hard to see why those two never hooked up.
Score
!