Budget Asus Mobo system recommendations

All,
I am a dinosaur pc user. I know my current system is a boat anchor.( I have a
Asus P55T2P4 running a P-200 MMX with Win98SE) I used to be up to speed on
whats hot out there regarding chips, mobo's, etc. My problem is that I am now
unfortunately unemployed due to outsourcing and was going to build a nice
system with an ASUS board but now my budget (or lack thereof,) is running the
show. I need to upgrade to a nice system to be used only for home office and
very basic photo cataloging\editing. Since so many iterations of cpu, chipset,
memory, form factor have taken place since my blazingly fast T2P4, I am at a
loss as to what to expect to get for a for a dirt budget system. So, I need
your recommendations.
My needs are a mobo, chip, memory, and case. I have two WD drives, a 30 gig and
a 120 gig that I can use in this new system. Video recommendations are also
needed.
So, with all of you Asus guru's out there and your infinate wisdom, what is
the absolute cheapest Asus system you could build based on my usage needs?

Thanks a bunch,

Paul
3 answers Last reply
More about budget asus mobo system recommendations

    If I had a proposed use and budget like yours, I'd look around for a
    used P3 system. You can get a used P3-500/800 MHz system for a really
    low price these days. Sometimes a partial system for even less. Look
    in your local Buy/Sell groups.

    PaulDgsCoy wrote:

    > All,
    > I am a dinosaur pc user. I know my current system is a boat anchor.( I have a
    > Asus P55T2P4 running a P-200 MMX with Win98SE) I used to be up to speed on
    > whats hot out there regarding chips, mobo's, etc. My problem is that I am now
    > unfortunately unemployed due to outsourcing and was going to build a nice
    > system with an ASUS board but now my budget (or lack thereof,) is running the
    > show. I need to upgrade to a nice system to be used only for home office and
    > very basic photo cataloging\editing. Since so many iterations of cpu, chipset,
    > memory, form factor have taken place since my blazingly fast T2P4, I am at a
    > loss as to what to expect to get for a for a dirt budget system. So, I need
    > your recommendations.
    > My needs are a mobo, chip, memory, and case. I have two WD drives, a 30 gig and
    > a 120 gig that I can use in this new system. Video recommendations are also
    > needed.
    > So, with all of you Asus guru's out there and your infinate wisdom, what is
    > the absolute cheapest Asus system you could build based on my usage needs?
    >
    > Thanks a bunch,
    >
    > Paul

    Take a look at this site:
    http://www.jdr.com/interact/default.asp
    I got a flyer from them at work that offered a bare bones system for $149.
    I've been watching JDR for more than 8 years - so they must be legit.
    Not Asus - but the prices will fit your budget better.

    If ASUS is a must.....
    Look at their Mobos with athlon processors and Via or SIS chip sets.
    They do just as well as Intel solutions and sometimes better in terms of
    features because they have to offer more to compete with the big boy
    (Intel). Best of luck
    Dave - N2LAK

    PaulDgsCoy wrote:
    > All,
    > I am a dinosaur pc user. I know my current system is a boat anchor.( I have a
    > Asus P55T2P4 running a P-200 MMX with Win98SE) I used to be up to speed on
    > whats hot out there regarding chips, mobo's, etc. My problem is that I am now
    > unfortunately unemployed due to outsourcing and was going to build a nice
    > system with an ASUS board but now my budget (or lack thereof,) is running the
    > show. I need to upgrade to a nice system to be used only for home office and
    > very basic photo cataloging\editing. Since so many iterations of cpu, chipset,
    > memory, form factor have taken place since my blazingly fast T2P4, I am at a
    > loss as to what to expect to get for a for a dirt budget system. So, I need
    > your recommendations.
    > My needs are a mobo, chip, memory, and case. I have two WD drives, a 30 gig and
    > a 120 gig that I can use in this new system. Video recommendations are also
    > needed.
    > So, with all of you Asus guru's out there and your infinate wisdom, what is
    > the absolute cheapest Asus system you could build based on my usage needs?
    >
    > Thanks a bunch,
    >
    > Paul

    You might want to see http://www.twenga.com. This search engine has
    thousands of user reviews on Asus motherboards supporting either
    Sempron or Athlon XP processors.

    Best

    PaulDgsCoy wrote:
    > All,
    > I am a dinosaur pc user. I know my current system is a boat anchor.(
    I have a
    > Asus P55T2P4 running a P-200 MMX with Win98SE) I used to be up to
    speed on
    > whats hot out there regarding chips, mobo's, etc. My problem is that
    I am now
    > unfortunately unemployed due to outsourcing and was going to build a
    nice
    > system with an ASUS board but now my budget (or lack thereof,) is
    running the
    > show. I need to upgrade to a nice system to be used only for home
    office and
    > very basic photo cataloging\editing. Since so many iterations of cpu,
    chipset,
    > memory, form factor have taken place since my blazingly fast T2P4, I
    am at a
    > loss as to what to expect to get for a for a dirt budget system. So,
    I need
    > your recommendations.
    > My needs are a mobo, chip, memory, and case. I have two WD drives, a
    30 gig and
    > a 120 gig that I can use in this new system. Video recommendations
    are also
    > needed.
    > So, with all of you Asus guru's out there and your infinate wisdom,
    what is
    > the absolute cheapest Asus system you could build based on my usage
    needs?

    > Thanks a bunch,
    >
    > Paul

Asus Motherboards