VIA K8T800 or NVidia nForce3 150 or NVidia nForce3 250 for..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

> I'm ready to buy new MB, CPU etc. and have settled on AMD 64.
> Any views out there on how the chipsets compare and what MB to buy.
> I will be using XP Pro.
> Raid and SATA are requirment as is LAN on board - most seem to do that
> anyway. I have found difficulties with some of the specs, in that some
> manufacturers don't indicate whether they supply cables.
> I am not particularly interested in over-clocking.
> Many thanks.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

Hi, they all supply cables, choice of a motherboard is very much up to your
own preferences and what you want to do. Many people will have had either
good or bad experiences with different motherboards thus 'colouring' their
personal choice. Try typing names of motherboards into google then searching
in results with 'review.
I have a Asus A8V....
Chris C
"ATK" <zen18242@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I'm ready to buy new MB, CPU etc. and have settled on AMD 64.
>> Any views out there on how the chipsets compare and what MB to buy.
>> I will be using XP Pro.
>> Raid and SATA are requirment as is LAN on board - most seem to do that
>> anyway. I have found difficulties with some of the specs, in that some
>> manufacturers don't indicate whether they supply cables.
>> I am not particularly interested in over-clocking.
>> Many thanks.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

just upgraded epox 8rda+ nforce 2 to msi k8n neo 2 platinum nforce 3 a quick
swap load new nforce drivers
and very happy using winchester 3500 no problems on 1.2 bios boots fine,
plus it has a safe overclocking utility
in bios for that bit of extra speed, fsb 265 x 9.5 = 2.5 mhz :) on oem stock
cooler and 2 x 256mb twimos pc 3200.

Had my doubts of msi mobos but read some good reviews, your choice!!!!

"Harvo" <harvo@mharv.plus.com> wrote in message
> just upgraded epox 8rda+ nforce 2 to msi k8n neo 2 platinum nforce 3 a
> quick swap load new nforce drivers
> and very happy using winchester 3500 no problems on 1.2 bios boots fine,
> plus it has a safe overclocking utility
> in bios for that bit of extra speed, fsb 265 x 9.5 = 2.5 mhz :) on oem
> stock cooler and 2 x 256mb twimos pc 3200.
>
> Had my doubts of msi mobos but read some good reviews, your choice!!!!

I have a K8N Neo with a 3200+. No problems.

--
Derek

> "Chris Catt" <cuke(nospam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, they all supply cables, choice of a motherboard is very much up to
>> your own preferences and what you want to do. Many people will have had
>> either good or bad experiences with different motherboards thus
>> 'colouring' their personal choice. Try typing names of motherboards into
>> google then searching in results with 'review.
>> I have a Asus A8V....
>> Chris C
>> "ATK" <zen18242@zen.co.uk> wrote in message

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

The Asus k8n-e deluxe (nForce3 250Gb) has been superb for me with an Athlon
64 3200. That's not to say that other motherboards won't do equally well or
better for you. Check user comments at www.newegg.com.
"ATK" <zen18242@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I'm ready to buy new MB, CPU etc. and have settled on AMD 64.
> > Any views out there on how the chipsets compare and what MB to buy.
> > I will be using XP Pro.
> > Raid and SATA are requirment as is LAN on board - most seem to do that
> > anyway. I have found difficulties with some of the specs, in that some
> > manufacturers don't indicate whether they supply cables.
> > I am not particularly interested in over-clocking.
> > Many thanks.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

Back in January when the AMD 64-bit FX-51 CPU was new and not many
motherboards were available, I purchased MSI's K8T800 Master 2-FAR board.
I was very impressed with the packaging and overall quality of the look.
And they seemed to think of everything with all they included in the
package.
The board has been VERY stable since I bought it.
Overclockability is it's weak-point. Possible but not as many options as
I've seen on other boards.
So if, like you say, you are not that interested in overclocking, then I do
highly recommend MSI.

ATK wrote:
>>I'm ready to buy new MB, CPU etc. and have settled on AMD 64.
>>Any views out there on how the chipsets compare and what MB to buy.
>>I will be using XP Pro.
>>Raid and SATA are requirment as is LAN on board - most seem to do that
>>anyway. I have found difficulties with some of the specs, in that some
>>manufacturers don't indicate whether they supply cables.
>>I am not particularly interested in over-clocking.
>>Many thanks.

I have a newcastle 2800+ on the K8NS Pro and could not be happier - GB
Ethernet, Onboard Sata raid via Nforce, on board Sata raid via promise,
Onboard IDE raid via ITE, Firewire, USB2.0, Sound - the works

Runs my 2800+ @ 9X270 memory at 1:1 for 2.43Ghz for cheap (mobo was 100
bucks at newegg, Cpu was 140 retail box) You have to get good ram to run
DDR540 but even with the divider set down to DDR400 ish speeds it
still rocks.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

Thanks for help. After reading a v.g. report I have bought an MSI K8N Neo
Platinum. The actual MB was described as MSI K8N Neo Platin54g, which I took
to mean that it was fitted up with WIFI. All it is, is a wireless PCI card
with an aerial to screw on.
Since I already have my computers networked thru router and switch I don't
need it, but wondered if it could serve as a Wireless Access Point (I
suppose not).
Again, thanks.

David Wilts wrote:
> ATK wrote:
>>> I'm ready to buy new MB, CPU etc. and have settled on AMD 64.
>>> Any views out there on how the chipsets compare and what MB to buy.
>>> I will be using XP Pro.
>>> Raid and SATA are requirment as is LAN on board - most seem to do
>>> that anyway. I have found difficulties with some of the specs, in
>>> that some manufacturers don't indicate whether they supply cables.
>>> I am not particularly interested in over-clocking.
>>> Many thanks.
>>

> I have a newcastle 2800+ on the K8NS Pro and could not be happier - GB
> Ethernet, Onboard Sata raid via Nforce, on board Sata raid via
> promise, Onboard IDE raid via ITE, Firewire, USB2.0, Sound - the works
>
> Runs my 2800+ @ 9X270 memory at 1:1 for 2.43Ghz for cheap (mobo was
> 100 bucks at newegg, Cpu was 140 retail box) You have to get good ram
> to run DDR540 but even with the divider set down to DDR400 ish
> speeds it
> still rocks.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

<snip>
"ATK" <zen18242@zen.co.uk> kirjoitti viestissä
> Thanks for help. After reading a v.g. report I have bought an MSI K8N Neo
> Platinum. The actual MB was described as MSI K8N Neo Platin54g, which I
took
> to mean that it was fitted up with WIFI. All it is, is a wireless PCI card
> with an aerial to screw on.
> Since I already have my computers networked thru router and switch I don't
> need it, but wondered if it could serve as a Wireless Access Point (I
> suppose not).
> Again, thanks.

<snip>

As that specific board is not on MSI homepage, I guess it's dependeing on
the WiFi card.
Some cards do function as Wireless Access Points, some do not.
No manual for the card?

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro (More info?)

Nothing in the manuals for WIfI. I'm hoping when I get round to installing
that there is info on the CD.