GbE LAN

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2004 10:27:47 PM

I have a Asus P4C800E Deluxe running XP Pro SP2, and I have an annoyance.
I use the onboard GbE LAN (Intel 82547EI chip) to connect to a
Linksys BEFW11S4 (v1) router/switch. The GbE driver is set to
100 Mb/s FDX, but the router's Full/Coll LED is off for this port.

The problem is not with the router's LED, since it turns on when
the driver is unloaded (i.e., during booting of the XP PC).

The Intel PROSet driver reports itself as: e1000325.sys, v7.0.37.0.
This is the driver that came with the P4C800E MB. I've been to the Asus,
Intel, and M$ sites looking for a newer driver, but found nothing.

Any help out there? Anybody know where to get a newer driver? Anybody
understand the cause? Anybody else seen this bugette?

Cross-posted to 3 NGs.
--
TIA & Cheers, Bob

More about : gbe lan

November 5, 2004 11:36:45 PM

In article <TuQid.358652$MQ5.172535@attbi_s52>, Bob Willard
<BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote:

> I have a Asus P4C800E Deluxe running XP Pro SP2, and I have an annoyance.
> I use the onboard GbE LAN (Intel 82547EI chip) to connect to a
> Linksys BEFW11S4 (v1) router/switch. The GbE driver is set to
> 100 Mb/s FDX, but the router's Full/Coll LED is off for this port.
>
> The problem is not with the router's LED, since it turns on when
> the driver is unloaded (i.e., during booting of the XP PC).
>
> The Intel PROSet driver reports itself as: e1000325.sys, v7.0.37.0.
> This is the driver that came with the P4C800E MB. I've been to the Asus,
> Intel, and M$ sites looking for a newer driver, but found nothing.
>
> Any help out there? Anybody know where to get a newer driver? Anybody
> understand the cause? Anybody else seen this bugette?
>
> Cross-posted to 3 NGs.

The best place to look would be here, as anything released should
be listed here:

downloadfinder.intel.com menu: networking, ethernet, 82547EI ==>

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filt...

HTH,
Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 6, 2004 2:26:28 AM

"Bob Willard" <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote in message
> I have a Asus P4C800E Deluxe running XP Pro SP2, and I have an annoyance.
> I use the onboard GbE LAN (Intel 82547EI chip) to connect to a
> Linksys BEFW11S4 (v1) router/switch. The GbE driver is set to
> 100 Mb/s FDX, but the router's Full/Coll LED is off for this port.
>
> The problem is not with the router's LED, since it turns on when
> the driver is unloaded (i.e., during booting of the XP PC).

What happens when you set the NIC to Auto?
a b V Motherboard
November 6, 2004 7:05:43 PM

Noozer wrote:

> "Bob Willard" <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>I have a Asus P4C800E Deluxe running XP Pro SP2, and I have an annoyance.
>>I use the onboard GbE LAN (Intel 82547EI chip) to connect to a
>>Linksys BEFW11S4 (v1) router/switch. The GbE driver is set to
>>100 Mb/s FDX, but the router's Full/Coll LED is off for this port.
>>
>>The problem is not with the router's LED, since it turns on when
>>the driver is unloaded (i.e., during booting of the XP PC).
>

> What happens when you set the NIC to Auto?

That turned out to be the cure:

- When I set the NIC to 100 Mb/s HDX, the router's Full/Coll LED is out.
- When I set the NIC to 100 Mb/s FDX, the router's Full/Coll LED is out.
- When I set the NIC to Auto Detect, the router's Full/Coll LED is on.

And, for any of the above 3 choices, the router's 100 Mb/s LED is on.

The registry setting (SpeedDuplex, buried deep under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE)
is correct (0 for Auto, 4 for 100 FDX), but the router shows the real
story. Seems to be a clear problem with the driver code.
--
Thanks & Cheers, Bob
Anonymous

Paul wrote:

> In article <TuQid.358652$MQ5.172535@attbi_s52>, Bob Willard
> <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>I have a Asus P4C800E Deluxe running XP Pro SP2, and I have an annoyance.
>>I use the onboard GbE LAN (Intel 82547EI chip) to connect to a
>>Linksys BEFW11S4 (v1) router/switch. The GbE driver is set to
>>100 Mb/s FDX, but the router's Full/Coll LED is off for this port.
>>
>>The problem is not with the router's LED, since it turns on when
>>the driver is unloaded (i.e., during booting of the XP PC).
>>
>>The Intel PROSet driver reports itself as: e1000325.sys, v7.0.37.0.
>>This is the driver that came with the P4C800E MB. I've been to the Asus,
>>Intel, and M$ sites looking for a newer driver, but found nothing.
>>
>>Any help out there? Anybody know where to get a newer driver? Anybody
>>understand the cause? Anybody else seen this bugette?
>>
>>Cross-posted to 3 NGs.
>

> The best place to look would be here, as anything released should
> be listed here:
>
> downloadfinder.intel.com menu: networking, ethernet, 82547EI ==>
>
> http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filt...
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Thanks for the URL. I got and installed the new driver, but it did not
help. Setting the NIC to use AutoDetect, instead of 100 Mb/s FDX, did.
--
Thanks & Cheers, Bob
!