lee

After replacing the CPU fan+heatsink of my AMD 1.1GHz system, my PC
doesn't start anymore. I restared using safe mode and found that it
hangs after loading the giveio.sys driver. At first I thought i've
messed up the CPU chip during the installation, so i bought a new
1.33GHz AMD chip (US$ 50) and hope this could safe my system! Too bad
that this doesn't solve the problem at all. Then I unplugged all
boards and hard disks (except c drive) and try again, that doesn't
help also. After that I tried to backup by whole C drive to DVDs using
Ghost. Strangely, this works without any problem!!!

Do you think this is a h/w or s/w problem. The CPU is the only thing
that I've touched and i already have replace that. I've also tried to
remove all peripherals that is not necessary for boot up. The last
thing that i can think of is the VGA card and I've already try an old
card also.

I don't think i can mess up my winxp installation by replacing my CPU
heatsink! Right? Any ideas?

This is not being caused by any hardware problems. First off, you will
want to put your 1.1 GHz processor back in as the 1.33 GHz may cause
even more problems. Giveio.sys is a file that is installed by 3rd party
software programs (many compiled by Delphi) and does not exist anywhere
on my computer for Windows XP. A lot of card reader programs use this
driver though. You may want to disable anything unnecessary such as
sounds, etc, from your BIOS, then try booting in Safe Mode. If you get
in, try removing software you don't need (and look for a program called
CPR). Also, try setting your system clock back before the problem
occured. Not sure why, but this has seemed to help others in the past.
If you can't get into your computer, boot off your Windows XP CD, run
the recovery console, and try deleting the file ;)

lee wrote:

> After replacing the CPU fan+heatsink of my AMD 1.1GHz system, my PC
> doesn't start anymore. I restared using safe mode and found that it
> hangs after loading the giveio.sys driver. At first I thought i've
> messed up the CPU chip during the installation, so i bought a new
> 1.33GHz AMD chip (US$ 50) and hope this could safe my system! Too bad
> that this doesn't solve the problem at all. Then I unplugged all
> boards and hard disks (except c drive) and try again, that doesn't
> help also. After that I tried to backup by whole C drive to DVDs using
> Ghost. Strangely, this works without any problem!!!
>
> Do you think this is a h/w or s/w problem. The CPU is the only thing
> that I've touched and i already have replace that. I've also tried to
> remove all peripherals that is not necessary for boot up. The last
> thing that i can think of is the VGA card and I've already try an old
> card also.
>
> I don't think i can mess up my winxp installation by replacing my CPU
> heatsink! Right? Any ideas?

alu

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2004

My problem is quite similar:

When I start Win XP in Safe Mode it hangs and then restarts after half
a minute after reading giveio.sys.

When I try to run "Windows XP Repair" from the windows CD it stops when
achieving "Examine the disc". This happens as well when trying to
reinstall windows. I.e., I'am not able to format the disc!!

When coupling the disc to another PC (as a slave), the PC will not
boot. It boots windows as normally in the start (from the Master disc),
but then in the middle of the boot sequence, it starts to read the
Slave, and the PC just hangs.

My disc is a SATA 7200 Seagate 200G. When trying to run Seagate
diagnostic tools it hangs when trying to read the disc.

Rest of my system is: MSI KT6V Mainboard, AMD Sempron 2200, Sappire
Radeon 7000 Graphics.

All this started when I moved the cabinet fan from the "cabinet fan
connector" to the "north brigde connector" on the mainboard. I have
tried everything (I thing though...), removing the fan (of cource),
disabeling all that I can think of in the bios, resetting the bios,
removing all unnessesarry hardware etc. I know this is not a windows
system file. Probably it originates from Speedfan or one of the MSI
tools that is being installed.

--
aluPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

"alu" wrote:
> My problem is quite similar:
>
> When I start Win XP in Safe Mode it hangs and then restarts
> after half
> a minute after reading giveio.sys.
>
> When I try to run "Windows XP Repair" from the windows CD it
> stops when
> achieving "Examine the disc". This happens as well when trying
> reinstall windows. I.e., I'am not able to format the disc!!
>
> When coupling the disc to another PC (as a slave), the PC will
> not
> boot. It boots windows as normally in the start (from the
> Master disc),
> but then in the middle of the boot sequence, it starts to read
> the
> Slave, and the PC just hangs.
>
> My disc is a SATA 7200 Seagate 200G. When trying to run
> Seagate
> diagnostic tools it hangs when trying to read the disc.
>
> Rest of my system is: MSI KT6V Mainboard, AMD Sempron 2200,
> Sappire
> Radeon 7000 Graphics.
>
> All this started when I moved the cabinet fan from the
> "cabinet fan
> connector" to the "north brigde connector" on the mainboard. I
> have
> tried everything (I thing though...), removing the fan (of
> cource),
> disabeling all that I can think of in the bios, resetting the
> bios,
> removing all unnessesarry hardware etc. I know this is not a
> windows
> system file. Probably it originates from Speedfan or one of
> the MSI
> tools that is being installed.
>

> --
> aluPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

I realize this is a bit of a bump, but i too am having this problem.
The difference for me is that i hadnt changed any hardware or
anything. I was minding my own buisness usin XP and it suddenly locked
up entirly. I reset it and when it got to loading windows i loaded for
a while and then blue screened. When i tried from safemode it died
after giveio.sys as well.

But logicaly, if it loaded giveio.sys isnt it more likley that the
problem is the next thing it woul load? how could i find out what file
this is?

I ran CHKDSK off of Hiren’s Boot CD and it gave back alot of errors in
the NTFS system but once it had corrected those it was able to mount
the NTFS system under DOS.When i tried to run windows again, however,
i still get the same problem.

Any, way im gonna try deleting the file from outside XP and if that
doesnt work ill have to do a repair install. Ill edit this once i have
an update.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-WinXP-hangs-loading-giveio.sys-ftopict396082.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1721550