XP: unable to install camera or scanner

I use Window XP+SP1.
In the control panel section called Scanners and Cameras,
there is the Add Device button. When clicking or double-
clicking it, the system shows signs of being busy but does
NOT start the wizard.

I have installed camera Canon Powershot A40 which the
system recognized correctly as "Powershot A40" in the plag-
and-play process but listed it as "Unknown device" in the
Device Manager.

The same goes for the scanner CanoScan 3200F (the system
recognized it well during plug-and-play, announced "new
hardware successfuly installed" but listed it as "Unknown
device" in the Device Manager.

The PROBLEM:
All camera/scanner software is able to recognize these
devices through the TWAIN interface, BUT when I always get
the error message from ScanGear (driver for the
scanner): "Cannot communicate with scanner. Cable may be
disconnected. Check status. Scanner driver will be closed."

I know the cable is all right because the scanner works
just fine with Windows XP installed on a notebook I
sometimes use.

I tried to reinstall TWAIN, the scanner driver, use
another USB port but it did not help.

I suspect the problem is with Windows XP which is unable
to install cameras or scanners through the "Add
scanner/camera device" wizard.

I appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Thank you.

Peter

I don't think there are any "glitches" in WINXP with respect to the New
Hardware Wizard. While I don't have exactly the same hardware as you I do
have a Canon Power Shot S100 Camera and Canon Canoscan N 650U both of which
were installed without problem using the New Hardware Wizard. Both devices
show up in Device Manager. I suggest you uninstall both devices and try to
reinstall them in Safe Mode.

Good Luck.

"Peter Gustafik" <gustafik@mail.com> wrote in message
> I use Window XP+SP1.
> In the control panel section called Scanners and Cameras,
> there is the Add Device button. When clicking or double-
> clicking it, the system shows signs of being busy but does
> NOT start the wizard.
>
> I have installed camera Canon Powershot A40 which the
> system recognized correctly as "Powershot A40" in the plag-
> and-play process but listed it as "Unknown device" in the
> Device Manager.
>
> The same goes for the scanner CanoScan 3200F (the system
> recognized it well during plug-and-play, announced "new
> hardware successfuly installed" but listed it as "Unknown
> device" in the Device Manager.
>
> The PROBLEM:
> All camera/scanner software is able to recognize these
> devices through the TWAIN interface, BUT when I always get
> the error message from ScanGear (driver for the
> scanner): "Cannot communicate with scanner. Cable may be
> disconnected. Check status. Scanner driver will be closed."
>
> I know the cable is all right because the scanner works
> just fine with Windows XP installed on a notebook I
> sometimes use.
>
> I tried to reinstall TWAIN, the scanner driver, use
> another USB port but it did not help.
>
> I suspect the problem is with Windows XP which is unable
> to install cameras or scanners through the "Add
> scanner/camera device" wizard.
>
> I appreciate any suggestions you may have.
> Thank you.
>
> Peter

dl

Or try following Canon instructions, that sometimes works