OC A7N8X-E and Sempron 2500+

Anyone got any detailed instructions on OC'ing this board and chip. It
runns DDR333 166FSB and 1.75Ghz as default. I'd like to get it to DDR400
200FSB?
I tried google but all it gives me is sites to FORUMS where people tell
others what results they get and not any DETAILED instructions as to what to
change in the bios.

Hugh

Paul

Splendid

In article <iqTid.2784$hp3.466924@read2.cgocable.net>, "Hugh Sutherland"
<hsutherland4@cogeco.ca> wrote:

> Anyone got any detailed instructions on OC'ing this board and chip. It
> runns DDR333 166FSB and 1.75Ghz as default. I'd like to get it to DDR400
> 200FSB?
> I tried google but all it gives me is sites to FORUMS where people tell
> others what results they get and not any DETAILED instructions as to what to
> change in the bios.
>
> Hugh

It is pretty simple. Go into Advanced Chipset features, and
take things off their "Auto" type settings. Try something like
"System Performance" [User Defined], to expose as much of the
customization features as possible. You will find, the fact that
the BIOS screen exposes new settings when you change things like
this, makes gaining access to the customization features pretty
simple. (You should be able to figure it all out, in about
30 minutes of playing around.)

I take it you've got some good memory, as the Nforce2 is pretty
picky about RAM. The RAM issue only shows up when you try to
reach FSB400/DDR400. If you find you cannot get past 180-185MHz,
then suspect the RAM first. If you get "CPU failed due to
overclock" messages at POST, and yet the computer still boots into
an OS, then you should be running tests on the memory (memtest86
as well as Prime95), as when everything is working properly
(i.e. machine is Prime95 stable), that message will disappear.
I'm currently using CAS2 memory on mine.

The most time consuming part of overclocking, is proving the
CPU/memory are stable. Fiddling with the settings is only a
tiny part of the effort.

Normally, I'd recommend visiting http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/
to see what overclock is possible from a given model of
processor, but there aren't any Sempron processors in the list
yet. If you do succeed in overclocking, there is an email link
on that web page, and perhaps you can submit your results to
them, so they'll include a Sempron section.

And those forums are useful, even if you have to read a lot of
posts to learn something. Nforcershq does have a lot of useful
info, especially if you are having problems with peripherals
on the board etc.

HTH,
Paul