HELP! my hard drive formatting not sticking

July 5, 2004 8:15:56 AM

thought the 2 partitions on my new hard drive got
formatted cause I "tested" by copying some file to both
partitions and saw them on BOTH partitions and observed
when clicked "Propertie" for BOTH, saw tabs called
(1) "Sharing" & (2) "Quota", whatever those
are/significance, I don't know yet/understand. Then
proceeded to rename BOTH, also in the "Properties dialog
box" (the names that the partitioning AND formatting
program gave the 2 partitions were generic-sounding names
(like DRIVE2Vol#1 & DRIVE2Vol2, cause I hooked it up as
an INTERNAL drive to a computer running WinXP Home
Edition SP1. The new drive was the only hard drive other
than the other drive that's already in the computer
running as the bootup drive (in
other words, I hooked it up on the same cable as the
bootup drive, using the spare connector that was hanging
off of the cable...so I jumpered the new drive as a SLAVE
drive (in a 2 drives on 1 cable, which presumably is the
PRIMARY channel cable)).

Thinking I liked what I saw, I turned off PC, removed
hard drive, jumpered it as a "SINGLE" drive by removing
the jumper-thingy and put it in my EXTERNAL case that has
BOTH FireWire/USB 2.0 interfaces and hooked it back to
the same WinXP computer I used to format it, except this
time using USB. Turned it on after the computer, ONLY 1
partition is usable, by which I mean

(1) the "DRIVE2Vol2" lost that name and now takes on yet
still another generic-sounding name "Local Disk" and when
(2) clicked "Properties" for the partition that lost its
name, the 2 previously observed tabs above are not there
anymore, and
(3) when I double clicked on it to find the files I
copied to it when it was an INTERNAL drive, those files
weren't there and Windows asked me if I "wanted to format
the drive?" I'm not sure if I should click "Yes" button
to format it or not........thus I'm here in this forum
(AND I THOUGHT THE ABOVE MENTIONED PARTITIONING &
FORMATTING SOFTWARE THAT COMES WITH THE DRIVE SHOULD HAVE
FORMATTED IT--ALREADY!!!)

Now for some details, the HD is a WD 250GB Caviar and the
software that came with it is WD Data Lifeguard Tool
v11.0 version for Windows (vs. for DOS). I partitioned 2
equal partitions. The sizes shown before I removed it to
make into EXTERNAL HD were 116GB x 2 (BTW, should I have
only this much GB as usable after formatting?
18GB "lost", not usable for my own data? Is this
common?). When it's an EXternal drive, only 1 partitions
of 116GB shows up......the other "missing" asks if I want
to format it? HEEEEEEEEELP please!!!! Thank you! (Oh,
BTW, the SW asked me if I wanted to use the drive
as "additional data drive" or "a bootable drive"....or
something along those lines. I elected to use "additional
data drive".)
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 5:14:36 PM

I'll try to give my opinion on this. First, any name you gave to the
drive was erased because of the controller card in your external casing.
Second, what filing system did you chose to use on the partitions?
Third, right click on My Computer and select Manage. Now go down to
Disk Management and see what it says ;)  Finally, it is common to lose
quite a bit of harddrive in partitions/formatting. I have a 160 GB SATA
WD HD. It shows up as 149GB :(

Nathan McNulty

!