Firewire 1394 not working since XP SP2

Len

The rule of thumb has been to re-install the chipset drivers for your MB
(assuming it is an on-board device); uninstall the 1394 controller from
device manager and restart the computer.

SP2 has been known to effect some drivers and this may resolve the issue.
If it doesn't then ???

FWIW,
Len

"Bubba" <bubbafunke@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone have a fix. XP doesn't recognize my DV camcorder since I
> installed SP2

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Also notice that 1394 is no longer in device manager but now shows "legacy
video capture device". Any ideas?

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

That didn't work. Any other ideas?

"Len" <len207@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The rule of thumb has been to re-install the chipset drivers for your MB
> (assuming it is an on-board device); uninstall the 1394 controller from
> device manager and restart the computer.
>
> SP2 has been known to effect some drivers and this may resolve the issue.
> If it doesn't then ???
>
> FWIW,
> Len
>
> "Bubba" <bubbafunke@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Does anyone have a fix. XP doesn't recognize my DV camcorder since I
>> installed SP2

Delete the driver and reboot it should recognised as a 1394 device, if not
then choose it manually.

What motherboard etc?

> That didn't work. Any other ideas?
>

> "Len" <len207@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> The rule of thumb has been to re-install the chipset drivers for your MB
>> (assuming it is an on-board device); uninstall the 1394 controller from
>> device manager and restart the computer.
>>
>> SP2 has been known to effect some drivers and this may resolve the issue.
>> If it doesn't then ???
>>
>> FWIW,
>> Len
>>
>> "Bubba" <bubbafunke@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> Does anyone have a fix. XP doesn't recognize my DV camcorder since I
>>> installed SP2

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

P4C800 DLX Mobo. XP SP2 device manager no longer offers option to remove
hardware drivers. Is there another way. Also can't seem to find a firewire
driver. Must be an inherent windows thing.

> P4C800 DLX Mobo. XP SP2 device manager no longer offers option to remove
> hardware drivers. Is there another way. Also can't seem to find a
> firewire driver. Must be an inherent windows thing.

You might want to try a Firewire card. I am running SP2 with the same
motherboard and use Firewire all the time, particularly on my Ipod (I also
use a digital camcorder). If you check prior posts in this newsgroup, you
will find a lot of problems with the onboard Fireware. I myself had at least
one peripheral damaged by the onboard port. A Firewire card is only about
$20 and will solve the problems.

There is no specific driver for Firewire. It is built into the operating
system.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

It was working just fine until SP2. Other than that I'm happy with SP2

Bubba wrote:
> It was working just fine until SP2. Other than that I'm happy with SP2

SP2 treats 1394 ports as network adapters and enables the firewall by
default. Possibly the SP2 firewall is getting in the way?

P2B

> "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Bubba" <bubbafunke@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>P4C800 DLX Mobo. XP SP2 device manager no longer offers option to remove
>>>hardware drivers. Is there another way. Also can't seem to find a
>>>firewire driver. Must be an inherent windows thing.
>>
>>You might want to try a Firewire card. I am running SP2 with the same
>>motherboard and use Firewire all the time, particularly on my Ipod (I also
>>use a digital camcorder). If you check prior posts in this newsgroup, you
>>will find a lot of problems with the onboard Fireware. I myself had at
>>least one peripheral damaged by the onboard port. A Firewire card is only
>>about $20 and will solve the problems.
>>
>>There is no specific driver for Firewire. It is built into the operating
>>system.

"Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Bubba" <bubbafunke@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> P4C800 DLX Mobo. XP SP2 device manager no longer offers option to remove
>> hardware drivers. Is there another way. Also can't seem to find a
>> firewire driver. Must be an inherent windows thing.
>
> You might want to try a Firewire card. I am running SP2 with the same
> motherboard and use Firewire all the time, particularly on my Ipod (I also
> use a digital camcorder). If you check prior posts in this newsgroup, you
> will find a lot of problems with the onboard Fireware. I myself had at
> least one peripheral damaged by the onboard port. A Firewire card is only
> about $20 and will solve the problems.
>
> There is no specific driver for Firewire. It is built into the operating
> system.

Yes there is, each manufacturer has their own, choose, update driver,
manually choose the OHCI 1394 driver or the Via 1394 driver, either will
work. SP2 should let you choose which one to use, you can also uninstall it,
if those options are not available then your installation is broken and I
suggest that you seriously think about a clean install.

"P2B" <p2b@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> Bubba wrote:
>> It was working just fine until SP2. Other than that I'm happy with SP2
>
> SP2 treats 1394 ports as network adapters and enables the firewall by
> default. Possibly the SP2 firewall is getting in the way?
>
> P2B
>
>> "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Bubba" <bubbafunke@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>>You might want to try a Firewire card. I am running SP2 with the same
>>>motherboard and use Firewire all the time, particularly on my Ipod (I
>>>also use a digital camcorder). If you check prior posts in this
>>>newsgroup, you will find a lot of problems with the onboard Fireware. I
>>>myself had at least one peripheral damaged by the onboard port. A
>>>Firewire card is only about $20 and will solve the problems.
>>>
>>>There is no specific driver for Firewire. It is built into the operating
>>>system.

Rubbish, it treats them as both and neither should care about the other.

> "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bubba" <bubbafunke@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> P4C800 DLX Mobo. XP SP2 device manager no longer offers option to
>>> remove hardware drivers. Is there another way. Also can't seem to find
>>> a firewire driver. Must be an inherent windows thing.
>>
>> You might want to try a Firewire card. I am running SP2 with the same
>> motherboard and use Firewire all the time, particularly on my Ipod (I
>> also use a digital camcorder). If you check prior posts in this
>> newsgroup, you will find a lot of problems with the onboard Fireware. I
>> myself had at least one peripheral damaged by the onboard port. A
>> Firewire card is only about $20 and will solve the problems.
>>
>> There is no specific driver for Firewire. It is built into the operating
>> system.
>
> Yes there is, each manufacturer has their own, choose, update driver,
> manually choose the OHCI 1394 driver or the Via 1394 driver, either will
> work. SP2 should let you choose which one to use, you can also uninstall
> it, if those options are not available then your installation is broken
> and I suggest that you seriously think about a clean install.

I've done easily a dozen or more XP installations with various Firewire
cards, and in NO case was a driver required, other than what is on the XP
installation CD.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I believe it's an SP2 issue. Seen several posts with P4C800DLX having same
issue. I'm told only workaround is buy a firewire card or revert to SP1.
Darn it microsoft! I really like the other features of SP2. :(