P4PE Sata/IDE Configuration

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

I have a 300 GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA Drive in the mail. I currently
have two Maxtor drives connected to a Promise IDE Controller Card, a DVD
Drive attached to the Primary IDE and a Burner attached to the Secondary IDE
controller. My first question is - Do I have to turn on the Onboard
SATA/IDE Controller to use the SATA drive? I have no interest in a Raid
configuration - Just want more disk capacity. Next question is - If the new
Drive is noticeably faster than the IDE drives, what does it take to make
the SATA drive the boot device? All this may be obvious when I connect the
SATA drive but it isn't too clear in the ASUS manual. Appreciate any input.
Thanks.

Ken skrev:

> I have a 300 GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA Drive in the mail. I currently
> have two Maxtor drives connected to a Promise IDE Controller Card, a DVD

I just did the same thing with my new S-ATA drive so I can try :)

> Drive attached to the Primary IDE and a Burner attached to the Secondary IDE
> controller. My first question is - Do I have to turn on the Onboard
> SATA/IDE Controller to use the SATA drive? I have no interest in a Raid

Yes, but to not use RAID you must set up an array with only one disk,
works great. The speed is 4 times what I got from my P-ATA drive.

> Drive is noticeably faster than the IDE drives, what does it take to make
> the SATA drive the boot device? All this may be obvious when I connect the

In the boot menu you can select various boot devices, one of them is
onboard S-ATA I think (or something like that). Just change the order
so that one is before the standard IDE controller and it will boot.

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!