Keyboard will not let system go on standby

When I try to go standby, and message comes up saying " The device driver for 'Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural ps/2 keyboard' device is preventing the machine from entering standby. Please close all applications and try again. If problem persists, you may need to upddate this driver". I unstalled the driver, then reinstalled it to no avail. I have not had a problem until recently. I don't see how closing programs will solve the long-term problem. I have not had to in the past. I have 5 or six applications running at all times and this should not effect the system going on standby. Like I said, It has not affected it until just recently. Thanks for any help.

John, take a look here

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814149&Product=winxp