Squeek

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004

My ATAPI CD drive does not read any disks,cd rom or
audio.i have uninstalled it and reinstalled it manually,i
ran new hardware wizard which said it was functioning
normally and tried to update driver which said i was
using the best driver available.i have changed the
ribbons too and restored the system to a known good
restore point.ive checked the BIOS + CMOS and that seems
fine.the drive is detected during boot and it was fine
last time i used it.the only error message i get
is "please insert disk" when there is one phisically in
the drive,ive clean the disk and tried some others which
will not not work either on auto play or through control
panel. any ideas?

Hi, I've had same problem + also with 2nd hard drive not
being recognised when it was previously!

Difficult to suggest a solution as I reckon it's a fault
with the o/s - you will probably find that it will
just "magically" become reavailable - failing this do a
fresh install of XP.

Mike

Splendid

If a CD unit is recognized by the system BIOS, and the OS reports the unit
as working properly, it is not the OS that is to blame.. your problem is
with a dirty or defunct laser.. try a laser lens cleaning disc or replace
the failed unit completely.. cd units can last for as long as four years
depending upon how much they are used..

"SQUEEK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My ATAPI CD drive does not read any disks,cd rom or
> audio.i have uninstalled it and reinstalled it manually,i
> ran new hardware wizard which said it was functioning
> normally and tried to update driver which said i was
> using the best driver available.i have changed the
> ribbons too and restored the system to a known good
> restore point.ive checked the BIOS + CMOS and that seems
> fine.the drive is detected during boot and it was fine
> last time i used it.the only error message i get
> is "please insert disk" when there is one phisically in
> the drive,ive clean the disk and tried some others which
> will not not work either on auto play or through control
> panel. any ideas?

I have the same problem...I was wondering if you found a solution yet?

"SQUEEK" wrote:

> My ATAPI CD drive does not read any disks,cd rom or
> audio.i have uninstalled it and reinstalled it manually,i
> ran new hardware wizard which said it was functioning
> normally and tried to update driver which said i was
> using the best driver available.i have changed the
> ribbons too and restored the system to a known good
> restore point.ive checked the BIOS + CMOS and that seems
> fine.the drive is detected during boot and it was fine
> last time i used it.the only error message i get
> is "please insert disk" when there is one phisically in
> the drive,ive clean the disk and tried some others which
> will not not work either on auto play or through control
> panel. any ideas?

Have you tried this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641

----