A8V won't reboot after bios settings saved

This is a brand new machine. Here are the components:
Asus A8v Deluxe motherboard with bios 1008.002 beta (I used ALT-F2)
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Antec Solutions case with 350w Antec Smartpower PSU
TI-4600 AGP video card
1GB Kingston Value Ram PC3200 (KVR400AK2/1GR)

When I go first start it up it goes through a number of screens then
tells me that the bios checksum is incorrect and that the date/time is
not set. I then hit F1 to enter the bios and hit F10 to save and exit.
At this point the screen goes into powersaver mode and never comes out.

I have cleared the CMOS using the jumper before each of these

So far I have tried:
a) Just using (1) 512MB stick in B1. It won't even boot the first time.
It takes both sticks to boot.
b) Using a single 256MB PC2700 stick that was laying around. No change.
c) Taking the cmos battery out for a few minutes. No change.
d) I tried a different video card, No change.

If I enter the bios and hit ESC to exit without saving it continues on
its merry way and starts the WinXP install cd.

If I hit F2 (load defaults and continue) when it gets to the "bad cmos
checksum" it works until it needs to reboot, then the problem occurs.

I have no more ideas to try, does anybody else?

Kevin
5 answers Last reply
More about reboot bios settings saved

    Have you tried the BIOS recovery feature?

    (Page 4-5, manual version E1642.)

    Good luck.

    Bob Knowlden

    "Kevin Lambert" <kevrianate@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > This is a brand new machine. Here are the components:
    > Asus A8v Deluxe motherboard with bios 1008.002 beta (I used ALT-F2)
    > AMD Athlon 64 3400+
    > Antec Solutions case with 350w Antec Smartpower PSU
    > TI-4600 AGP video card
    > 1GB Kingston Value Ram PC3200 (KVR400AK2/1GR)
    >
    > When I go first start it up it goes through a number of screens then tells
    > me that the bios checksum is incorrect and that the date/time is not set.
    > I then hit F1 to enter the bios and hit F10 to save and exit. At this
    > point the screen goes into powersaver mode and never comes out.
    >
    > I have cleared the CMOS using the jumper before each of these
    >
    > So far I have tried:
    > a) Just using (1) 512MB stick in B1. It won't even boot the first time.
    > It takes both sticks to boot.
    > b) Using a single 256MB PC2700 stick that was laying around. No change.
    > c) Taking the cmos battery out for a few minutes. No change.
    > d) I tried a different video card, No change.
    >
    > If I enter the bios and hit ESC to exit without saving it continues on its
    > merry way and starts the WinXP install cd.
    >
    > If I hit F2 (load defaults and continue) when it gets to the "bad cmos
    > checksum" it works until it needs to reboot, then the problem occurs.
    >
    > I have no more ideas to try, does anybody else?
    >
    > Kevin

    I originally tried it with the 1006 bios and spent a few hours trying to
    fix this problem. I then went to the 1008.002 bios and still had the
    problem. It think the biosrecovery would probably just put the 1006
    back, right?

    Kevin

    Bob Knowlden wrote:
    > Have you tried the BIOS recovery feature?
    >
    > (Page 4-5, manual version E1642.)
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > Bob Knowlden
    >
    > Address may be scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
    >
    > "Kevin Lambert" <kevrianate@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>This is a brand new machine. Here are the components:
    >>Asus A8v Deluxe motherboard with bios 1008.002 beta (I used ALT-F2)
    >>AMD Athlon 64 3400+
    >>Antec Solutions case with 350w Antec Smartpower PSU
    >>TI-4600 AGP video card
    >>1GB Kingston Value Ram PC3200 (KVR400AK2/1GR)
    >>
    >>When I go first start it up it goes through a number of screens then tells
    >>me that the bios checksum is incorrect and that the date/time is not set.
    >>I then hit F1 to enter the bios and hit F10 to save and exit. At this
    >>point the screen goes into powersaver mode and never comes out.
    >>
    >>I have cleared the CMOS using the jumper before each of these
    >>
    >>So far I have tried:
    >>a) Just using (1) 512MB stick in B1. It won't even boot the first time.
    >>It takes both sticks to boot.
    >>b) Using a single 256MB PC2700 stick that was laying around. No change.
    >>c) Taking the cmos battery out for a few minutes. No change.
    >>d) I tried a different video card, No change.
    >>
    >>If I enter the bios and hit ESC to exit without saving it continues on its
    >>merry way and starts the WinXP install cd.
    >>
    >>If I hit F2 (load defaults and continue) when it gets to the "bad cmos
    >>checksum" it works until it needs to reboot, then the problem occurs.
    >>
    >>I have no more ideas to try, does anybody else?
    >>
    >>Kevin

    It would install whichever BIOS was on the floppy or CD.

    You could use another machine to prepare a floppy with the BIOS of your
    choice on it, although you must rename it to A8V.ROM. The latest non-beta
    BIOS at ftp.asuscom.de is 1008 (it appears to be a beta all the same,
    1008.03). If you like beta BIOSes, 1009.02 is also there.

    Bob Kn.

    >I originally tried it with the 1006 bios and spent a few hours trying to
    >fix this problem. I then went to the 1008.002 bios and still had the
    >problem. It think the biosrecovery would probably just put the 1006 back,
    >right?
    >
    > Kevin
    >
    > Bob Knowlden wrote:
    >> Have you tried the BIOS recovery feature?
    >>
    >> (Page 4-5, manual version E1642.)
    >>
    >> Good luck.
    >>
    >> Bob Knowlden
    >>
    >> Address may be scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
    >>
    >> "Kevin Lambert" <kevrianate@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>This is a brand new machine. Here are the components:
    >>>Asus A8v Deluxe motherboard with bios 1008.002 beta (I used ALT-F2)
    >>>AMD Athlon 64 3400+
    >>>Antec Solutions case with 350w Antec Smartpower PSU
    >>>TI-4600 AGP video card
    >>>1GB Kingston Value Ram PC3200 (KVR400AK2/1GR)
    >>>
    >>>When I go first start it up it goes through a number of screens then
    >>>tells me that the bios checksum is incorrect and that the date/time is
    >>>not set. I then hit F1 to enter the bios and hit F10 to save and exit. At
    >>>this point the screen goes into powersaver mode and never comes out.
    >>>
    >>>I have cleared the CMOS using the jumper before each of these
    >>>
    >>>So far I have tried:
    >>>a) Just using (1) 512MB stick in B1. It won't even boot the first time.
    >>>It takes both sticks to boot.
    >>>b) Using a single 256MB PC2700 stick that was laying around. No change.
    >>>c) Taking the cmos battery out for a few minutes. No change.
    >>>d) I tried a different video card, No change.
    >>>
    >>>If I enter the bios and hit ESC to exit without saving it continues on
    >>>its merry way and starts the WinXP install cd.
    >>>
    >>>If I hit F2 (load defaults and continue) when it gets to the "bad cmos
    >>>checksum" it works until it needs to reboot, then the problem occurs.
    >>>
    >>>I have no more ideas to try, does anybody else?
    >>>
    >>>Kevin

    Bob,
    For some reason I can't log into ftp.asuscom.de. Doesn't it take
    anonymous logins?

    Kevin
    Bob Knowlden wrote:
    > It would install whichever BIOS was on the floppy or CD.
    >
    > You could use another machine to prepare a floppy with the BIOS of your
    > choice on it, although you must rename it to A8V.ROM. The latest non-beta
    > BIOS at ftp.asuscom.de is 1008 (it appears to be a beta all the same,
    > 1008.03). If you like beta BIOSes, 1009.02 is also there.
    >
    > Bob Kn.
    >
    > "Kevin Lambert" <kevrianate@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I originally tried it with the 1006 bios and spent a few hours trying to
    >>fix this problem. I then went to the 1008.002 bios and still had the
    >>problem. It think the biosrecovery would probably just put the 1006 back,
    >>right?
    >>
    >>Kevin
    >>
    >>Bob Knowlden wrote:
    >>
    >>>Have you tried the BIOS recovery feature?
    >>>
    >>>(Page 4-5, manual version E1642.)
    >>>
    >>>Good luck.
    >>>
    >>>Bob Knowlden
    >>>
    >>>Address may be scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
    >>>
    >>>"Kevin Lambert" <kevrianate@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    I tried it just now (8:56 PM EST), and it worked for me.

    I did it via web browser (IE). I also tried it from the command line: it
    accepted user "anonymous", password "blank" (without the quotes).

    You could try a direct shot to the URL:

    ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_939/VIA_Chipset/K8T800Pro/A8V_Deluxe/

    Bob Kn.

    > Bob,
    > For some reason I can't log into ftp.asuscom.de. Doesn't it take
    > anonymous logins?
    >
    > Kevin
    > Bob Knowlden wrote:
    >> It would install whichever BIOS was on the floppy or CD.
    >>
    >> You could use another machine to prepare a floppy with the BIOS of your
    >> choice on it, although you must rename it to A8V.ROM. The latest non-beta
    >> BIOS at ftp.asuscom.de is 1008 (it appears to be a beta all the same,
    >> 1008.03). If you like beta BIOSes, 1009.02 is also there.
    >>
    >> Bob Kn.
    >>
    >> "Kevin Lambert" <kevrianate@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I originally tried it with the 1006 bios and spent a few hours trying to
    >>>fix this problem. I then went to the 1008.002 bios and still had the
    >>>problem. It think the biosrecovery would probably just put the 1006
    >>>back, right?
    >>>
    >>>Kevin

Asus BIOS Motherboards