A8V won't reboot after bios settings saved

This is a brand new machine. Here are the components:
Asus A8v Deluxe motherboard with bios 1008.002 beta (I used ALT-F2)
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Antec Solutions case with 350w Antec Smartpower PSU
TI-4600 AGP video card
1GB Kingston Value Ram PC3200 (KVR400AK2/1GR)

When I go first start it up it goes through a number of screens then
tells me that the bios checksum is incorrect and that the date/time is
not set. I then hit F1 to enter the bios and hit F10 to save and exit.
At this point the screen goes into powersaver mode and never comes out.

I have cleared the CMOS using the jumper before each of these

So far I have tried:
a) Just using (1) 512MB stick in B1. It won't even boot the first time.
It takes both sticks to boot.
b) Using a single 256MB PC2700 stick that was laying around. No change.
c) Taking the cmos battery out for a few minutes. No change.
d) I tried a different video card, No change.

If I enter the bios and hit ESC to exit without saving it continues on
its merry way and starts the WinXP install cd.

If I hit F2 (load defaults and continue) when it gets to the "bad cmos
checksum" it works until it needs to reboot, then the problem occurs.

I have no more ideas to try, does anybody else?

Kevin

Have you tried the BIOS recovery feature?

(Page 4-5, manual version E1642.)

Good luck.

Bob Knowlden

"Kevin Lambert" <kevrianate@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This is a brand new machine. Here are the components:
> Asus A8v Deluxe motherboard with bios 1008.002 beta (I used ALT-F2)
> AMD Athlon 64 3400+
> Antec Solutions case with 350w Antec Smartpower PSU
> TI-4600 AGP video card
> 1GB Kingston Value Ram PC3200 (KVR400AK2/1GR)
>
> When I go first start it up it goes through a number of screens then tells
> me that the bios checksum is incorrect and that the date/time is not set.
> I then hit F1 to enter the bios and hit F10 to save and exit. At this
> point the screen goes into powersaver mode and never comes out.
>
> I have cleared the CMOS using the jumper before each of these
>
> So far I have tried:
> a) Just using (1) 512MB stick in B1. It won't even boot the first time.
> It takes both sticks to boot.
> b) Using a single 256MB PC2700 stick that was laying around. No change.
> c) Taking the cmos battery out for a few minutes. No change.
> d) I tried a different video card, No change.
>
> If I enter the bios and hit ESC to exit without saving it continues on its
> merry way and starts the WinXP install cd.
>
> If I hit F2 (load defaults and continue) when it gets to the "bad cmos
> checksum" it works until it needs to reboot, then the problem occurs.
>
> I have no more ideas to try, does anybody else?
>
> Kevin

I originally tried it with the 1006 bios and spent a few hours trying to
fix this problem. I then went to the 1008.002 bios and still had the
problem. It think the biosrecovery would probably just put the 1006
back, right?

Kevin

Bob Knowlden wrote:
> Have you tried the BIOS recovery feature?
>
> (Page 4-5, manual version E1642.)
>
> Good luck.
>
> Bob Knowlden
>
> Address may be scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
>
> "Kevin Lambert" <kevrianate@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>This is a brand new machine. Here are the components:
>>Asus A8v Deluxe motherboard with bios 1008.002 beta (I used ALT-F2)
>>AMD Athlon 64 3400+
>>Antec Solutions case with 350w Antec Smartpower PSU
>>TI-4600 AGP video card
>>1GB Kingston Value Ram PC3200 (KVR400AK2/1GR)
>>
>>When I go first start it up it goes through a number of screens then tells
>>me that the bios checksum is incorrect and that the date/time is not set.
>>I then hit F1 to enter the bios and hit F10 to save and exit. At this
>>point the screen goes into powersaver mode and never comes out.
>>
>>I have cleared the CMOS using the jumper before each of these
>>
>>So far I have tried:
>>a) Just using (1) 512MB stick in B1. It won't even boot the first time.
>>It takes both sticks to boot.
>>b) Using a single 256MB PC2700 stick that was laying around. No change.
>>c) Taking the cmos battery out for a few minutes. No change.
>>d) I tried a different video card, No change.
>>
>>If I enter the bios and hit ESC to exit without saving it continues on its
>>merry way and starts the WinXP install cd.
>>
>>If I hit F2 (load defaults and continue) when it gets to the "bad cmos
>>checksum" it works until it needs to reboot, then the problem occurs.
>>
>>I have no more ideas to try, does anybody else?
>>
>>Kevin

It would install whichever BIOS was on the floppy or CD.

You could use another machine to prepare a floppy with the BIOS of your
choice on it, although you must rename it to A8V.ROM. The latest non-beta
BIOS at ftp.asuscom.de is 1008 (it appears to be a beta all the same,
1008.03). If you like beta BIOSes, 1009.02 is also there.

Bob Kn.

>I originally tried it with the 1006 bios and spent a few hours trying to
>fix this problem. I then went to the 1008.002 bios and still had the
>problem. It think the biosrecovery would probably just put the 1006 back,
>right?
>
> Kevin
>
> Bob Knowlden wrote:
>> Have you tried the BIOS recovery feature?
>>
>> (Page 4-5, manual version E1642.)
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
>> Bob Knowlden
>>
>> Address may be scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
>>
>> "Kevin Lambert" <kevrianate@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>This is a brand new machine. Here are the components:
>>>Asus A8v Deluxe motherboard with bios 1008.002 beta (I used ALT-F2)
>>>AMD Athlon 64 3400+
>>>Antec Solutions case with 350w Antec Smartpower PSU
>>>TI-4600 AGP video card
>>>1GB Kingston Value Ram PC3200 (KVR400AK2/1GR)
>>>
>>>When I go first start it up it goes through a number of screens then
>>>tells me that the bios checksum is incorrect and that the date/time is
>>>not set. I then hit F1 to enter the bios and hit F10 to save and exit. At
>>>this point the screen goes into powersaver mode and never comes out.
>>>
>>>I have cleared the CMOS using the jumper before each of these
>>>
>>>So far I have tried:
>>>a) Just using (1) 512MB stick in B1. It won't even boot the first time.
>>>It takes both sticks to boot.
>>>b) Using a single 256MB PC2700 stick that was laying around. No change.
>>>c) Taking the cmos battery out for a few minutes. No change.
>>>d) I tried a different video card, No change.
>>>
>>>If I enter the bios and hit ESC to exit without saving it continues on
>>>its merry way and starts the WinXP install cd.
>>>
>>>If I hit F2 (load defaults and continue) when it gets to the "bad cmos
>>>checksum" it works until it needs to reboot, then the problem occurs.
>>>
>>>I have no more ideas to try, does anybody else?
>>>
>>>Kevin

Bob,
For some reason I can't log into ftp.asuscom.de. Doesn't it take
anonymous logins?

Kevin
Bob Knowlden wrote:
> It would install whichever BIOS was on the floppy or CD.
>
> You could use another machine to prepare a floppy with the BIOS of your
> choice on it, although you must rename it to A8V.ROM. The latest non-beta
> BIOS at ftp.asuscom.de is 1008 (it appears to be a beta all the same,
> 1008.03). If you like beta BIOSes, 1009.02 is also there.
>
> Bob Kn.
>
> "Kevin Lambert" <kevrianate@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>I originally tried it with the 1006 bios and spent a few hours trying to
>>fix this problem. I then went to the 1008.002 bios and still had the
>>problem. It think the biosrecovery would probably just put the 1006 back,
>>right?
>>
>>Kevin
>>
>>Bob Knowlden wrote:
>>
>>>Have you tried the BIOS recovery feature?
>>>
>>>(Page 4-5, manual version E1642.)
>>>
>>>Good luck.
>>>
>>>Bob Knowlden
>>>
>>>Address may be scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
>>>
>>>"Kevin Lambert" <kevrianate@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I tried it just now (8:56 PM EST), and it worked for me.

I did it via web browser (IE). I also tried it from the command line: it
accepted user "anonymous", password "blank" (without the quotes).

You could try a direct shot to the URL:

ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_939/VIA_Chipset/K8T800Pro/A8V_Deluxe/

Bob Kn.