Auto download/install of drivers from MS site...

Posted this on the XP General NG, but got no suggestions
other than to pull the network connection when
playing with my hardware. So, take a crack at it.
There's GOTTA be a way to turn this off!
Been trying to figure out why my Radeon
won't drive the DVI input on my Samsung 191T.

This requires a lot of uninstalling of ATI drivers.

When I reboot after an ATI uninstall, I get the
"New Hardware Found-VGA compatible" AND THEN
Windows proceeds to download whatever old version
of the Radeon drivers MS has on their website. I can
see what's happening on my WinProxy status window.
I have to kill the connection in my proxy server to
keep this from happening.

Automatic Updates are COMPLETELY disabled-
all the options are greyed-out in the tab. I haven't
been able to find any options to turn off this BAD
behavior...downloading a driver off the Internet,
even if it's from MS's site,
and then installing it WITHOUT NOTIFYING ME
is COMPLETELY unacceptable behavior and makes
hardware troubleshooting a bigger pain in the ass
than it already is...

There had BETTER be some way to turn this off.

<end of rant>

dl

Cancel the wizard

"DL" <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote in message
> Cancel the wizard

Good thought, but it just starts right back up again.
And endlessly retries unless I kill my Internet connection.
At which point it bitches and tries to make me feel guilty
by threatening me about hardware that may not work correctly.

I want the wizard DISABLED PERMANENTLY.

If it's going after a small driver, and I don't catch what's going on,
the damm driver gets downloaded & installed before I know what's
happened, possibly ruining ALL the troubleshooting
progress I may have made up to that point.

> "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> > Posted this on the XP General NG, but got no suggestions
> > other than to pull the network connection when
> > playing with my hardware. So, take a crack at it.
> > There's GOTTA be a way to turn this off!
> > Been trying to figure out why my Radeon
> > won't drive the DVI input on my Samsung 191T.
> >
> > This requires a lot of uninstalling of ATI drivers.
> >
> > When I reboot after an ATI uninstall, I get the
> > "New Hardware Found-VGA compatible" AND THEN
> > Windows proceeds to download whatever old version
> > of the Radeon drivers MS has on their website. I can
> > see what's happening on my WinProxy status window.
> > I have to kill the connection in my proxy server to
> > keep this from happening.
> >
> > Automatic Updates are COMPLETELY disabled-
> > all the options are greyed-out in the tab. I haven't
> > been able to find any options to turn off this BAD
> > behavior...downloading a driver off the Internet,
> > even if it's from MS's site,
> > and then installing it WITHOUT NOTIFYING ME
> > is COMPLETELY unacceptable behavior and makes
> > hardware troubleshooting a bigger pain in the ass
> > than it already is...
> >
> > There had BETTER be some way to turn this off.
> >
> > <end of rant>

dl

There's obviously something peculiar about yr setup, I have autoupdate set
to notify prior to updating. It also only functions on critical updates,
certainly not on Driver updates, which in any case I would be extremely
unlikely to download from MS
I seem to recall it is possible to uninstall the autoupdate feature, you may
be advised to uninstall then reinstall.

> "DL" <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote in message
> > Cancel the wizard
> >

> Good thought, but it just starts right back up again.
> And endlessly retries unless I kill my Internet connection.
> At which point it bitches and tries to make me feel guilty
> by threatening me about hardware that may not work correctly.
>
> I want the wizard DISABLED PERMANENTLY.
>
> If it's going after a small driver, and I don't catch what's going on,
> the damm driver gets downloaded & installed before I know what's
> happened, possibly ruining ALL the troubleshooting
> progress I may have made up to that point.
>
> > "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> > > Posted this on the XP General NG, but got no suggestions
> > > other than to pull the network connection when
> > > playing with my hardware. So, take a crack at it.
> > > There's GOTTA be a way to turn this off!
> > > Been trying to figure out why my Radeon
> > > won't drive the DVI input on my Samsung 191T.
> > >
> > > This requires a lot of uninstalling of ATI drivers.
> > >
> > > When I reboot after an ATI uninstall, I get the
> > > "New Hardware Found-VGA compatible" AND THEN
> > > Windows proceeds to download whatever old version
> > > of the Radeon drivers MS has on their website. I can
> > > see what's happening on my WinProxy status window.
> > > I have to kill the connection in my proxy server to
> > > keep this from happening.
> > >
> > > Automatic Updates are COMPLETELY disabled-
> > > all the options are greyed-out in the tab. I haven't
> > > been able to find any options to turn off this BAD
> > > behavior...downloading a driver off the Internet,
> > > even if it's from MS's site,
> > > and then installing it WITHOUT NOTIFYING ME
> > > is COMPLETELY unacceptable behavior and makes
> > > hardware troubleshooting a bigger pain in the ass
> > > than it already is...
> > >
> > > There had BETTER be some way to turn this off.
> > >
> > > <end of rant>

dl

A thought; you may need Administrator account permissions to amend
Autoupdate settings.

> A thought; you may need Administrator account permissions to amend
> Autoupdate settings.

Yeh, the account I'm using has Admin rights,
but is not the Admininstator account...

I may start up in Safe Mode and go there
to check..

Also may re-enable Auto Update temporarily, reboot,
then disable it again. Maybe that'll flush all the turds
down the toilet.

> "DL" <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote in message
> > There's obviously something peculiar about yr setup, I have autoupdate
set
> > to notify prior to updating. It also only functions on critical updates,
> > certainly not on Driver updates, which in any case I would be extremely
> > unlikely to download from MS
> > I seem to recall it is possible to uninstall the autoupdate feature, you
> may
> > be advised to uninstall then reinstall.
> >
> > "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "DL" <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote in message
> > > >

> > > Good thought, but it just starts right back up again.
> > > And endlessly retries unless I kill my Internet connection.
> > > At which point it bitches and tries to make me feel guilty
> > > by threatening me about hardware that may not work correctly.
> > >
> > > I want the wizard DISABLED PERMANENTLY.
> > >
> > > If it's going after a small driver, and I don't catch what's going on,
> > > the damm driver gets downloaded & installed before I know what's
> > > happened, possibly ruining ALL the troubleshooting
> > > progress I may have made up to that point.

Tried to set this up in "Safe Mode"????

"Nathan McNulty" <525676@betaweb.com> wrote in message
> Actually, Safe Mode doesn't do anything "weird." What it would actually
> do in this case is not allow access to the internet as the drivers for
> it are not loaded in Safe Mode. Sometimes files are not copied correctly
> because they are in use or the destination file that is to be copied
> over is locked. Booting into Safe Mode may be able to clear this
> problem up. I have had to install TWAIN drivers in Safe Mode as well as
> many people have installed the recent build of XP Service Pack 2 in Safe
> Mode to get by a system stall that occurs on some computers ;)
>
> Nathan McNulty

I appreciate all the attempts to help, really.

But, were getting off topic here...

The auto download of drivers that I have NOT
approved the usage of is PISS POOR behavior,
tantamount to a browser hijack, with potentially
even worse results than a hijack...

I want to turn it OFF. Period. I should not have to
perform various "work-arounds" to keep it from happening.

This "feature" should NOT be hard-coded into
OS without the option to permanently disable it.